Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Saddle? Fit? Chamois? Inexperience?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm still not sitting completely comfortably on the new road bike yet. I tend to move around a lot as I ride trying to find a comfy position. The seat _seems_ to be pretty comfy and it's wide enough for my sit bones and there is a cutout the complete length of the seat. But I just don't feel like I have enough of my weight on my sit bones themselves and I feel too much pressure on the front of my crotch. I rode about 150km to get used to the bike, played with the seat a bit myself, then stopped in at the LBS to get them to double-check the fit. They made a few more adjustments and I went on three more 40+k rides. Still not quite right. I am going to buy some chamois cream tomorrow and try it on my Thursday ride to see if that helps. Don't know if I need to go back and play with the seat adjustments again or start looking at new saddles. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've read lots of the posts here at TE and have been to many of the Bike Fitting links posted too.

I'm thinking about putting my MTBike saddle on the road bike to see if I like that better...

Also - I have good shorts - Sugoi RS Flex - nice chamois, better than my old shorts. I still feels some irritation along the inside of my legs where to outside seams of the chamois rub my leg/crotch a bit. (As a side note, I noticed there is some wear on the inside thighs of my lovely new shorts - 250 km on the bike with these shorts - is that normal or perhaps related to my irritation problem?)

Argh...

I kinda felt the same way with the cut-out saddle I got with my road bike. Two rides was enough to realize that cut-outs weren't for me.

Trying your MTB's saddle would be smart, I think. On my road bike I now use a WTB Rocket V Pro Gel and it's very comfy. I also use a WTB (an older model SST) on my MTB.

Borrowing saddles or buying used helped a lot, since bike shops here won't let you return saddles you've already tried. WTB sells shops an inexpensive set of bright yellow test saddles, which I think is a great idea.

If you want a free WTB Speed She (I got it here for free as well, from abuelitodimetu) or a sweet dreal on a brand new Fizik Arione, let me know. I might also sell my Fizik Vitesse, but not 100% sure yet since that's my 2nd choice saddle.

Good luck with your search,

~Cari

P.S. Assos Chamois Creme is wonderful. I can't live without it and I don't think anyone else should have to either!
    Last edited by Cari; 07-18-2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: P.S.

Cutouts don't work for me either. I also use the WTB saddles, mine are the Team She. I use the same saddle on my road and mtn bike.

Consider trying different shorts. I have a pair of Sugoi's that were recommended on this forum and for some reason they chafe me. I wear Shebeest SSS shorts and love them.