Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Reverse Osmosis Water

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does it matter what type of water you drink on a ride? I'm refering to regular plain tap water, Bottled water or Revese Osmosis water. A friend said he felt the Reverse Osmosis water was dehydrating him on a ride, recently. Any thoughts on this?

I know you need to replace electrolytes...etc. I'm just curious if there could be a big difference in the water itself.
    He said he feels the Reverse Osmosis takes every thing out including the good minerals, And that it will not perform like bottled water. We have a well and need to treat our water before drinking it.

Thanks,
    Kerry
    Last edited by kerrybelle; 07-18-2006 at 10:45 AM.

If it's H20, how could it dehydrate?

However, if it's *only* water and his body is expecting electrolytes, it won't "feel right." Throw a pinch of salt and some Gatorade powder in there...

Stupid question but what is Reverse Osmosis Water and why would someone drink that? What's wrong with tap or bottled?
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Reverse Osmosis is just a fancy water filter that is better than just a standard charcoal base water filter alone. It removes minerals and solids from the water along with chemicals. It is basically a 3 step filtering process. We are on well water here and with NJ background of cancer cluster and unsafe chemicals in the water. We did not want to drink or cook with it, or give it to our dogs for that matter, In the long run it is just slightly cheaper that buying bulk bottled water with a lot less hassle of going to get it and haul it home. Even a private well such as ours can have mercury or other contamination get in to it. Our 145 lb Bull mastiff is a water killer, He drinks like a camel and then what is left is full of slobber and needs to be dumped and refilled. We would have to own a water company to keep up with him.
    Last edited by kerrybelle; 07-18-2006 at 12:35 PM.

So if Reverse Osmosis Water is still H2O, what would be the problem??? I'm confused. I guess he means with regular tap water he gets some minerals or nutrients but water is water. If electrolytes are a problem add a supplement drink.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I know (and agree) and it's the water I use everyday. Although, I usually add a little gatorade to one of my bottles. Our friend only drinks H2O, not just for biking and that's why I thought it was interesting. Nothing has changed in his routine and he is a very healthy eater and takes care of himself otherwise. So, I didn't know if there could be anything 'that different' with the RO water.

I agree with you on the electrolytes, but our friend is very skeptical about what he puts in his body, hence the only drink H2O thing! He avoids sugars, additives and proccessed foods...etc.

Kerry

Tell your friend that electrolytes help him retain the water he drinks. Without those, he's just filling his bladder. Why else do you think we feel bloated after a salty meal?

I Agree with kerrybelle.

After a particularly hairy experience with heat exhaustion/dehydration I learned the hard way that water/H20 was not enough. You have to have something - either food or replacement fluids, in your system to retain the water otherwise it just sweats out and is not used by the body. I tend to use GU or Balance bars and Sports Beans, and sometimes PB sandwich or fruit to help with water retention. Obviously salt (from crackers or pretzels)is also important.

For your friend who's picky about what he puts in his body - it's OK if he's just sitting on the couch but if exercising heavily, just got to take in salts and sugars to maintain.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl