Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New Runner

New Runner

To disable ads, please log-in.

I decided I wanted to start adding running to my workout. DH has decided he wants to join me. I have never been a good runner, I'm absolutely terrible at it, but that is sort of what is motivating me. If I could run 3-5 miles, it would be a huge accomplishment for me.

Anyway, DH and I went running for the first time in about a year last week. It was quite hot and humid out, maybe in the upper 80s with 80% humidity and I ended up getting really sick to my stomach feeling. DH is the type who can just decide to start running and run 5 miles with no conditioning, I am not, so I did push myself hard because of him. I know if you over exert, you can get nauseated, but my sick to the stomach feeling wasn't nausea, it felt like if I ran anymore, I would need a bathroom ASAP. Any idea of what can cause this? I really don't want that to happen again. We probably only did 1.5 miles, half of which I walked. Oh, and it wasn't a run, it was more of a jog.

Any tips for getting into running would be much appreciated.

I understand your frustration! When I started running about four years ago, I'd never been any good at running so it was something I wanted to "conquer." What got me started was reading an article about training for a 10K in 12 weeks. The article stated that even someone who hadn't run before could be ready for a 10K in that length of time. Sounded like a good challenge.--

For this program, you start out with small goals and gradually build up. The first run is about 10 minutes, then two days later run for about 12 minutes, then two or three days later run for 15 minutes, etc. Take it as slow as you need to. As you gradually increase your running time, after a few weeks, add some short periods of moderate running (ie., pushing it just a little more than you have been).

It's surprising how much of the training is mental - convincing yourself you can keep going. I wouldn't be surprised if you just pushed yourself too hard and that's what made you sick. Running is very strenuous and can really upset your system. Give yourself an hour after a meal before running, and don't drink too much right before, either.

It can be very frustrating to be around people who say they're going to try running a few miles and then just go out and do it. They're the minority though - really. Just go your own pace and build up your time/distance gradually and it will get better.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    Any tips for getting into running would be much appreciated.
    First, you're probably not going to like this advice, but... if you're going to compete against your hubby, I'd really suggest not training with him. You need to respect your current level, and you've already seen the consequences of not doing so.

That said, go to www.coolrunning.com. They've got all sorts of tips, including some training plans (I'm currently working through the "couch to 5k" (c25k) program). Their forums are also fantastic, full of absolutely supportive people (just like here!)

If you want to continue training with him, and he's understanding and patient, an idea would be to start the c25k program in the first week, with the agreement that when the plan says to walk, you both walk and when the plan says to run, you both run - at the slower person's pace.

Quote Originally Posted by witeowl
    If you want to continue training with him, and he's understanding and patient, an idea would be to start the c25k program in the first week, with the agreement that when the plan says to walk, you both walk and when the plan says to run, you both run - at the slower person's pace.

I agree with what you said. Thanks for the link. I saw it somewhere else in this forum but forgot where. I think I'm going to try the c25k next week. I sent an email to DH and I think about the training, so we'll see if he can be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    I agree with what you said. Thanks for the link. I saw it somewhere else in this forum but forgot where. I think I'm going to try the c25k next week. I sent an email to DH and I think about the training, so we'll see if he can be patient.
    Good, I'm glad I didn't offend!

I think you'll really enjoy the c25k. I've never run before in my life, and I *so* enjoy the feeling of running a half mile without stopping (I'm only at week four). Well... I enjoy FINISHING running a half mile without stopping, at least.

Good luck!
    Fall down six times, get up seven.
    My Blog/Journal: Fat Athlete

i've considered doing the coolrunning.com training. right now i'm just logging my miles and it actually is helping me stay modivated, which is hard around here.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

An answer to your question

Hi Salsa,
    Around theses parts we call that "runner's trots". I started running seriously in Jan, and I got them all the time. I do not get them/it any more unless I push really hard. I checked with all of the local runners, and they have all had it.

Back off a bit and ease your way in to the sport. I started out too hard, too soon, running with my hubby and ended up with ITB and the baaaddd stomach.

It will go away. And it is an awesome sport.

Ruth

This happens to a LOT of people with running. Pushing too hard seems to be the most obvious issue for you right now, as many have suggested. It's best not to run in hot and humid conditions if avoidable. Go in the AM. Also, try not eating too much 1-2 hours before the run and reduce fiber intake in that time frame, especially if, no, WHEN you go to a road race you want to try hard. I've had running partners that do a "pre-run", run too, sort of try to trick it and get it done.