Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tire size question

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I have a Trek 7.2 FX with 700x35 tires. How would I know how skinny a tire would still fit on my rims? Are there advantages/disadvantages to going skinnier... or staying wider? I don't ride off-road at all but the roads I ride on can be pretty rough and I ride on a tow path along the river a lot - some parts of it are good and some..not so good. I'd love any information anyone has to offer!

pat

I'd suggest finding the make and model of the rim and going to the manufacturer's web site. They should provide specs on the tire sizes that rim can accomodate. If that doesn't work, you could take off the tire and measure the rim inner width in mm. There is a chart here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html (near bottom of page) that gives recommended tire widths for a given rim width.
    Last edited by DebW; 07-17-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Wide tires: Takes a heavier load provides a more comfortable ride but also causes more road friction or drag. Means it takes a greater effort to roll the tire.

Skinnier tires: Much easier to roll, less friction especially if you are riding 700X25's or less.

If you bike takes a 700X35 you may be able to use 28's on the same rim maybe even 25's. I have an old touring bike that started with 35's but I ended up riding with 28's.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl