Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

To disable ads, please log-in.

Another thing to try is a Camelbak waist pack. They don't hold as much liquid (48 oz., I think), but once I start riding, I never even notice I have it on. I'm not crazy about regular Camelbaks because of the extra weight/heat on my back, but I love my waistpack for mountain biking. Even with the extra bouncing around, it never bothers me a bit!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Talking A Long Post.....

Good Morning Everyone!

TO: Lisa S.H., Robyn Maislin, mimitabby, Bad JuJu, emily_in_nc & DeniseGoldberg :

Thank you all for your replies!! I really appreciate it very much.

Lisa S.H. -- I am having such a fun, fun time, Lisa! With every ride both my husband and I feel that we're getting SO MUCH STRONGER! We're just having a blast -- This is not exercise -- RIDING IS SO MUCH FUN!!!

Robyn -- Thanks for your info about "warming up". I sent you a PM, and I really understand exactly what you're saying. This certainly explains to me that after 12 - 15 miles I feel as if I could GO ON & ON!! I sincerely do hope that one day we can meet and go out for a ride, that would be awesome .
    After Ben & I are finished up with our 20 mile rides, there have been a couple of times when I've said, "gee, I really feel as if I could do that again." And, if it wasn't too late in the day, and if I had more fluids, I probably would do it.

I'll be out sometime today on a "solo ride" again -- my 2nd. Ought to be LOTS of fun, though I have some (a couple) little fears. Hearing what DebW went through the other day !

It's in "Commuting", and the title is, "The pickup that almost took me out today."

Very, very scary stuff. Makes me so angry -- and, it usually IS trucks - they seem to drive around cyclists with some type of RAGE! I wonder what can be done about this problem, that only seems to be getting worse? As cyclists, what can we do?

I'd love it if you could share some 20 - 30 mile loops from your area, if you don't mind. I'd appreciate it, only if you have them written out already. Please don't go to any trouble. Do you head out to Littleton, Groton, etc...? I would love to venture out that way - pretty areas. We're going to try out an Acton, Stow, Boxborough route.

Mimi --
    Originally posted by Mimitabby: Every single accomplishment is an important one. Us fraidy cats, we have additional battles aside from the typical i feel too lazy. so when we do stuff, it's doubly impressive!
    You're so right -- every accomplishment IS an important one. Right now, our first 5 miles are flat, and I have to say that that is helping out a lot in terms of "warming up" - (especially my right knee).

But, my experience is pretty much like Robyn Maislin's, in that I feel kind of crappy for the first 12 miles. After that, I'm really good to go !

Bad JuJu -- YES, you could definitely say that I AM HOOKED ! I definitely will check into more bags, etc.... You mentioned a "ladybug bag", so I searched it through msn Give it a try & see what you find... It's the cutest little ladybug bicycle bag 7" X 4", for a child -- I might just have to order it because it's soooooo adorable!

Emily -- I read your thread and posted a note to you..... You really, really have been through SOOOOO MUCH, (((Emily))). I celebrate the fact that you are on the road again !

Thank you for your input on the camelbak waist pack. I'm not sure that that would work for me. Right now I'm wearing a "fanny pack", (placed on my side), and it carries the essential things that I personally need. It just feels very irritating to me, like a back pack. I am happy that it works for you though.

Denise --
    Originally posted by DeniseGoldberg: I won't ride with a day pack - I find them extremely uncomfortable - but my Camelbak doesn't bother me at all.
    I definitely will not rule out a camelbak then..... If you won't ride with a day pack either, then you must have experienced that very uncomfortable feeling I was experiencing. And, it really is imperative that I have enough to drink when riding.

I have checked out all of the hydration systems that wheelworks had in stock, and I did see the Rogue. That particular one seems to fit my needs the most.

Eventually, I will want a pack for the rear rack. I've seen the Arkel TailRider in person. It did look quite a bit big, but.....I'd much rather have something bigger than smaller. I'm sure that over time I'll find more & more things that I'll want to bring along with me .

Ben & I enjoyed an awesome cycling weekend. In addition to the 20 miles on Saturday, 8/19, we did 19 miles on Sunday and 21.5 miles on Monday ! I have a couple of very important errands that I need to get done today, BUT...I really want to ride at some point today, and I will.

It's interesting, before June 5th of this year, I NEVER, EVER, EVER would have thought (in a million years), that I would be talking about riding my bike with SUCH EXCITEMENT!!!

Cycling truly is an addiction, and an awesome one at that!! I've said this before......but, I know that bicycling is an exercise, and a very good one at that. To me though, it really does not feel like exercise AT ALL!!!!! I'm enjoying all of the health benefits that one receives from cycling, yet....I TRULY LOVE IT !!

Many years ago, (this "story" was from a lifetime ago, and one that I don't like to bring up anymore, but, I will), in 1987 & 1988, approximately 6 months each year, I went on a liquid diet, similar to Optifast.

On both occasions, I lost a huge amount of weight in a VERY SHORT TIME. Something like 90 lbs., in 14 - 16 weeks. LIQUIDS ONLY. I went from a size 28/30 to a size 6 (SIX!!).
    I was taught that if I wanted to eat the way I was eating, that I'd have to exercise off the difference.
    This program and all of the "knowledge" <<-- (I use that word VERY LIGHTLY!), I learned was ONLY $500+ per month!! (To think, that was almost 20 years ago!!)

So, I was assigned a "behaviorist" , who happened to be an elite athlete (runner). Very long story short, I was running/walking 90+ miles per week AND using the stairclimber (at the gym), 1.5 hours each morning. Left the house at 5:15am to do the stairs and got my running in during the AM & PM. I was VERY OBSESSED WITH THIS EXERCISE. I was told by my doctor that I had become "bulimic through exercise". I suffered horrible shin splints & my poor knees took a horrible beating! But, I kept running.

Of course, I just could not keep up this type of EXERCISE forever. It was almost like I'd gone crazy. I had to fit my life into the exercise. Needless to say, I put the weight back on, (VERY quickly), because I was not shown the proper way to do things.

The strangest thing was, (when I started the liquid fast), going to bed one night a fat person in a size 28/30, and "waking up" 14 - 16 weeks later, (BUT, felt more like OVERNIGHT), a size 6 person!
    To be honest, I had no idea who I was!! It was all just too fast.

In 1988, following the 2nd fast, I had to have a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal). (I can't believe I actually did this fast a 2nd time, but...I was desperate, even though I knew the results!)
    I was told that the gallstones were caused by the liquid fast. In fact, over 50% of the people that were in the fasts when I was there had to have their gallbladders removed.

I guess the reason I brought up my past is because I wanted to explain WHY I am personally so ANTI-DIET!! I hate the word, "diet". The first three letters spell........... "die".

And, to me, "diet" equals "deprivation".

Imagine this, when I was 8 years old, (1968), my mom took me to a pediatrician who said to me, "You're going to die if you stay at the weight you are at". (I was 146 pounds and very short). So, we left that day with a prescription for diet pills -- Ionamin. I took one pill the next day and was incredibly JITTERY, so the pills were thrown away. Hmmm......I guess "speed" will do that to you.

I do not & will not deprive myself ANY KIND OF FOOD THAT I WANT -- (I choose, however, not to eat meat).

When I used to deprive myself a certain kind of food, I would end up binging on that food.
    If I wanted to have chocolate ice cream or a milky way, NO AMOUNT of carrot sticks or celery sticks was going to fill that craving!! If I wanted cake & cookies, a stick of sugar free gum with some water just wasn't going to make that craving lessen!

After having spent thousands and thousands (and many more thousands) of dollars on various diet programs (I joined ALL of them), from the late 1970's to the end of the 20th century, I stopped joining diet programs and I stopped spending money on diet programs.

I'll never forget "Nutri-System" - I was a member of that program in 1978. I weighed around 182 pounds, and I was debating whether or not to join up again. One of the leaders said to me, "I'd be embarrassed if I looked like you at Thanksgiving" !
    I was going to be 18 years old that Thanksgiving. I did re-join, but never cared for that "leader" after that comment.

I remember having a consultation at "Jenny Craig", in ? 1989. My weight was approximately 260 at that time. The person assigned to me took my wrist measurement, and told me that my frame was "small", and she put my goal weight down as "103 pounds".
    I didn't join -- the last time I saw 103 pounds was around age 7 & 1/2.

Even when I was 'on a diet', I read several books that were "anti-diet".
    "Feeding the Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth, was the first one.

I have a photo of myself at my 39th birthday, (1999), and I was at my heaviest weight ever. 295 pounds -- could have been more, I didn't get on the scale anymore.

I was puffy, bloated, tired, huge, sweaty, short, massive, obese. I have "small eyes" anyway.....but, at that weight, my pretty dark blue eyes looked virtually closed because of my bloated face. My skin was stretched to its absolute limit!

Fast forward to February, 2001 - I met Ben, (now, my husband ), and I was 5 pounds less than my heaviest (290).

I know I've mentioned this before....but, now I weigh 185 pounds. I am in a size 14 - 16, depending on style/cut.

My weight loss of 105 pounds "just happened" over a five year period. I have not been on any "diets" at all -- I still won't deprive myself any food. All foods have a "GREEN LIGHT."

I have noticed that since we began bicycling, my body is really firming up. (and that's only in 2 & 1/2 months!)

My clothes feel looser, and Ben has said that I do look thinner - from my face to my calves. When he is riding on his bike behind me, he told me that I definitely look more fit, that I look smaller.
    At 5' 9", Ben is considered "overweight" at 186 pounds (BMI), but he's definitely gaining muscle in all the right places !
    Looking better & feeling better -- What a great feeling for both of us !

If losing fat, gaining muscle & feeling awesome about yourself is a side effect of bicycling, then I AM A MILLION PERCENT IN LOVE WITH IT!!

I think that I really needed to write all of this out at this time, just as if I was journaling. (I used to write in a journal for years). It's 12:48pm, and I know I started this post almost 3 hours ago.
    I still have a couple of very important errands to do and an important phone call to make, and of course, a lovely bike ride awaits me .

I think what this all boils down to is that I LOVE BICYCLING!! I enjoy everything about it. Most of all, I LOVE that it is an experience both wonderful and beautiful that Ben & I can enjoy together!!

I am also sincerely grateful that I found TE Women's Cycling Discussion Forums . It's all good !

Wishing all of you much peace, love, good health & happiness always!

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Talking

Denise, your story is nothing short of miraculous. I can't believe you've been struggling since you were 8 years old.
    thanks for sharing your story; it's got to inspire lots of folks that you are doing as well as you are and looking as good as you are in your bike photo!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Denise -- that's an AMAZING story. You are an inspiration! Thank you for being so frank and sharing.

I wanted to add my recommendation for the camelbak.

I hate backpacks, just can't stand them. I wouldn't even consider wearing a backpack or even a messenger bag while cycling because it's so hot and I sweat so much and it would make me so miserable.

When we were in Colorado I ran into REI and picked up a couple of Camelbak rogues (I don't remember who recommended it here, but I remembered the name!) and we wore them on a hike, and it didn't bother me at all. It's so streamlined, and doesn't cover your entire bike like a backpack would.

Plus, another tip I read here -- I filled it with ice and then added water. The cold water was great, being able to sip constantly was great, and it keeps your back cool!

Do try the camelbak. I don't think you'll regret it.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Denise,
    Thanks you SO much for sharing your wonderful and amazing story. You truly are an inspiration!

I love when you say: "If losing fat, gaining muscle & feeling awesome about yourself is a side effect of bicycling, then I AM A MILLION PERCENT IN LOVE WITH IT!!"
    SO TRUE....it's NOT about losing weight, it's about getting fit and feeling great!
    That means both in mind and body- together they create a whole sense of well-being. It's not about deprivation- it's about rejoicing.

I feel just the way you do about biking not feeling like exercise at all. Losing weight and getting fit while biking feels sort of like being paid to be an ice cream taster?...(sorry, only example I can think of!)
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you Denise for sharing your life with us. You have been through a lot and it sounds like you have come through it with a very positive attitude. I agree with you about diets and I also agree that a positive attitude and healthy body are wonderful bonuses to biking.

I wanted to add my vote for a CamelPak. I have a small one, it is their "charm". It is wonderful, holds enough water and I do not mind it on my back, I do not really notice it at all. I purchased mine at Nashbar on sale, including a free cleaning kit. (no affiliation with Nashbar other than a satisfied customer).
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

[
    Lisa S.H. -- I am having such a fun, fun time, Lisa! With every ride both my husband and I feel that we're getting SO MUCH STRONGER! We're just having a blast -- This is not exercise -- RIDING IS SO MUCH FUN!!!

Robyn -- Thanks for your info about "warming up". I sent you a PM, and I really understand exactly what you're saying. This certainly explains to me that after 12 - 15 miles I feel as if I could GO ON & ON!! I sincerely do hope that one day we can meet and go out for a ride, that would be awesome .
    After Ben & I are finished up with our 20 mile rides, there have been a couple of times when I've said, "gee, I really feel as if I could do that again." And, if it wasn't too late in the day, and if I had more fluids, I probably would do it.

I'll be out sometime today on a "solo ride" again -- my 2nd. Ought to be LOTS of fun, though I have some (a couple) little fears. Hearing what DebW went through the other day !

It's in "Commuting", and the title is, "The pickup that almost took me out today."

Very, very scary stuff. Makes me so angry -- and, it usually IS trucks - they seem to drive around cyclists with some type of RAGE! I wonder what can be done about this problem, that only seems to be getting worse? As cyclists, what can we do?

I'd love it if you could share some 20 - 30 mile loops from your area, if you don't mind. I'd appreciate it, only if you have them written out already. Please don't go to any trouble. Do you head out to Littleton, Groton, etc...? I would love to venture out that way - pretty areas. We're going to try out an Acton, Stow, Boxborough route.

Mimi --

[/FONT] You're so right -- every accomplishment IS an important one. Right now, our first 5 miles are flat, and I have to say that that is helping out a lot in terms of "warming up" - (especially my right knee).

But, my experience is pretty much like Robyn Maislin's, in that I feel kind of crappy for the first 12 miles. After that, I'm really good to go !

Bad JuJu -- YES, you could definitely say that I AM HOOKED ! I definitely will check into more bags, etc.... You mentioned a "ladybug bag", so I searched it through msn Give it a try & see what you find... It's the cutest little ladybug bicycle bag 7" X 4", for a child -- I might just have to order it because it's soooooo adorable!

Emily -- I read your thread and posted a note to you..... You really, really have been through SOOOOO MUCH, (((Emily))). I celebrate the fact that you are on the road again !

Thank you for your input on the camelbak waist pack. I'm not sure that that would work for me. Right now I'm wearing a "fanny pack", (placed on my side), and it carries the essential things that I personally need. It just feels very irritating to me, like a back pack. I am happy that it works for you though.

Denise -- I definitely will not rule out a camelbak then..... If you won't ride with a day pack either, then you must have experienced that very uncomfortable feeling I was experiencing. And, it really is imperative that I have enough to drink when riding.

I have checked out all of the hydration systems that wheelworks had in stock, and I did see the Rogue. That particular one seems to fit my needs the most.

Eventually, I will want a pack for the rear rack. I've seen the Arkel TailRider in person. It did look quite a bit big, but.....I'd much rather have something bigger than smaller. I'm sure that over time I'll find more & more things that I'll want to bring along with me .

Ben & I enjoyed an awesome cycling weekend. In addition to the 20 miles on Saturday, 8/19, we did 19 miles on Sunday and 21.5 miles on Monday ! I have a couple of very important errands that I need to get done today, BUT...I really want to ride at some point today, and I will.

It's interesting, before June 5th of this year, I NEVER, EVER, EVER would have thought (in a million years), that I would be talking about riding my bike with SUCH EXCITEMENT!!!

Cycling truly is an addiction, and an awesome one at that!! I've said this before......but, I know that bicycling is an exercise, and a very good one at that. To me though, it really does not feel like exercise AT ALL!!!!! I'm enjoying all of the health benefits that one receives from cycling, yet....I TRULY LOVE IT !!

Many years ago, (this "story" was from a lifetime ago, and one that I don't like to bring up anymore, but, I will), in 1987 & 1988, approximately 6 months each year, I went on a liquid diet, similar to Optifast.

On both occasions, I lost a huge amount of weight in a VERY SHORT TIME. Something like 90 lbs., in 14 - 16 weeks. LIQUIDS ONLY. I went from a size 28/30 to a size 6 (SIX!!).
    I was taught that if I wanted to eat the way I was eating, that I'd have to exercise off the difference.
    This program and all of the "knowledge" <<-- (I use that word VERY LIGHTLY!), I learned was ONLY $500+ per month!! (To think, that was almost 20 years ago!!)

So, I was assigned a "behaviorist" , who happened to be an elite athlete (runner). Very long story short, I was running/walking 90+ miles per week AND using the stairclimber (at the gym), 1.5 hours each morning. Left the house at 5:15am to do the stairs and got my running in during the AM & PM. I was VERY OBSESSED WITH THIS EXERCISE. I was told by my doctor that I had become "bulimic through exercise". I suffered horrible shin splints & my poor knees took a horrible beating! But, I kept running.

Of course, I just could not keep up this type of EXERCISE forever. It was almost like I'd gone crazy. I had to fit my life into the exercise. Needless to say, I put the weight back on, (VERY quickly), because I was not shown the proper way to do things.

The strangest thing was, (when I started the liquid fast), going to bed one night a fat person in a size 28/30, and "waking up" 14 - 16 weeks later, (BUT, felt more like OVERNIGHT), a size 6 person!
    To be honest, I had no idea who I was!! It was all just too fast.

In 1988, following the 2nd fast, I had to have a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal). (I can't believe I actually did this fast a 2nd time, but...I was desperate, even though I knew the results!)
    I was told that the gallstones were caused by the liquid fast. In fact, over 50% of the people that were in the fasts when I was there had to have their gallbladders removed.

I guess the reason I brought up my past is because I wanted to explain WHY I am personally so ANTI-DIET!! I hate the word, "diet". The first three letters spell........... "die".

And, to me, "diet" equals "deprivation".

Imagine this, when I was 8 years old, (1968), my mom took me to a pediatrician who said to me, "You're going to die if you stay at the weight you are at". (I was 146 pounds and very short). So, we left that day with a prescription for diet pills -- Ionamin. I took one pill the next day and was incredibly JITTERY, so the pills were thrown away. Hmmm......I guess "speed" will do that to you.

I do not & will not deprive myself ANY KIND OF FOOD THAT I WANT -- (I choose, however, not to eat meat).

When I used to deprive myself a certain kind of food, I would end up binging on that food.
    If I wanted to have chocolate ice cream or a milky way, NO AMOUNT of carrot sticks or celery sticks was going to fill that craving!! If I wanted cake & cookies, a stick of sugar free gum with some water just wasn't going to make that craving lessen!

After having spent thousands and thousands (and many more thousands) of dollars on various diet programs (I joined ALL of them), from the late 1970's to the end of the 20th century, I stopped joining diet programs and I stopped spending money on diet programs.

I'll never forget "Nutri-System" - I was a member of that program in 1978. I weighed around 182 pounds, and I was debating whether or not to join up again. One of the leaders said to me, "I'd be embarrassed if I looked like you at Thanksgiving" !
    I was going to be 18 years old that Thanksgiving. I did re-join, but never cared for that "leader" after that comment.

I remember having a consultation at "Jenny Craig", in ? 1989. My weight was approximately 260 at that time. The person assigned to me took my wrist measurement, and told me that my frame was "small", and she put my goal weight down as "103 pounds".
    I didn't join -- the last time I saw 103 pounds was around age 7 & 1/2.

Even when I was 'on a diet', I read several books that were "anti-diet".
    "Feeding the Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth, was the first one.

I have a photo of myself at my 39th birthday, (1999), and I was at my heaviest weight ever. 295 pounds -- could have been more, I didn't get on the scale anymore.

I was puffy, bloated, tired, huge, sweaty, short, massive, obese. I have "small eyes" anyway.....but, at that weight, my pretty dark blue eyes looked virtually closed because of my bloated face. My skin was stretched to its absolute limit!

Fast forward to February, 2001 - I met Ben, (now, my husband ), and I was 5 pounds less than my heaviest (290).

I know I've mentioned this before....but, now I weigh 185 pounds. I am in a size 14 - 16, depending on style/cut.

My weight loss of 105 pounds "just happened" over a five year period. I have not been on any "diets" at all -- I still won't deprive myself any food. All foods have a "GREEN LIGHT."

I have noticed that since we began bicycling, my body is really firming up. (and that's only in 2 & 1/2 months!)

My clothes feel looser, and Ben has said that I do look thinner - from my face to my calves. When he is riding on his bike behind me, he told me that I definitely look more fit, that I look smaller.
    At 5' 9", Ben is considered "overweight" at 186 pounds (BMI), but he's definitely gaining muscle in all the right places !
    Looking better & feeling better -- What a great feeling for both of us !

If losing fat, gaining muscle & feeling awesome about yourself is a side effect of bicycling, then I AM A MILLION PERCENT IN LOVE WITH IT!!

I think that I really needed to write all of this out at this time, just as if I was journaling. (I used to write in a journal for years). It's 12:48pm, and I know I started this post almost 3 hours ago.
    I still have a couple of very important errands to do and an important phone call to make, and of course, a lovely bike ride awaits me .

I think what this all boils down to is that I LOVE BICYCLING!! I enjoy everything about it. Most of all, I LOVE that it is an experience both wonderful and beautiful that Ben & I can enjoy together!!

I am also sincerely grateful that I found TE Women's Cycling Discussion Forums . It's all good !

Wishing all of you much peace, love, good health & happiness always!

Denise
    [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

WOW!! Denise!!! You truly are an amazing person!! What an incredible story!!!
    Thank you sooo much for sharing!!!

Karen

WOW!!! Amazing!

WOW!! Denise!!! You truly are an amazing person!! What an incredible story!!!
    Thank you sooo much for sharing!!!

Karen

Holy mackerel, what a story. Hey, have you ever thought about starting a blog, Denise? You're such a writer--I think you'd do a great blog!

That ladybug bag you found is truly cute, but this is the one I was really talking about--they call it the "bug" now, but it was the "ladybug" a few years ago when I got mine.
    Arkel Bug
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Talking My 2nd solo ride!

Hi Ladies!

Mimi, Pooks, Lisa, Jennifer, Karen, Bad JuJu:

Well, let me try to keep this post brief ..... my last post was LONG!!!!

Bad JuJu: Thanks for the idea of a "blog". I started one a long time ago..... but, nothing ever made it out of the "draft" stage -- Go figure ! I will start another one and will let you know when it's up & running.
    And, thanks for the info on the Arkel "the bug" backpack. It really looks like something I am VERY interested in. (Thank you for the link ). Oh, BTW, if testimonials count for anything, check out the first one !

Originally posted by Lisa S.H. I feel just the way you do about biking not feeling like exercise at all. Losing weight and getting fit while biking feels sort of like being paid to be an ice cream taster?...(sorry, only example I can think of!)
    That's a great example, Lisa !! I'll agree to that one !

As far as "my story" being an inspiration, I really appreciate all of you who said that. I have always said that my life is an "open book".
    If sharing what I have gone through in my life can be helpful to someone, I am more than willing to tell all.
    I truly believe that every single person "has a story", and through sharing them, we can help one another .

Thank you all for your advice about camelbaks. Perhaps this will be something I'll purchase next season, (or Santa might put one under the tree ).

Because it's getting darker earlier, we just ordered headlights/tail lights for our bikes last night . Now we won't have to cut our rides short because the sun is going down. I'll want to find some other things so that we will extra visible out there... Perhaps some reflective tape for our helmets. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!

Does anyone have these? I just might have to order them.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=13124

I wonder how often the batteries need to be changed?

This past Monday we tried out a new route. We rode through 3 GORGEOUS towns. I've said it before, but.....it really is true.--> It absolutely feels as if we're riding around in Vermont. The scenery is breathtaking. It's so wonderful being able to see acres & acres of land as far as our eyes can see.

There are times that we just stop & get off our bikes to see & enjoy all of the beauty that surrounds us . We'd like to do this route again this weekend, and complete the full 27 miles.
    We rode 24 miles on Monday because it was getting darker -- we took a shortcut back to our car. This route was quite hilly - and, I'm happy to say that we are most definitely improving with hills!

We started riding 3 months ago and 24 miles is the furthest we've ridden thus far. We're pretty happy with that.

And today, I went out for my 2nd SOLO RIDE! I rode my bike in the same towns that we did on Monday. I missed my husband A LOT, but, I really did enjoy myself. I know that riding alone isn't a big deal for lots of people, but for me, I've been struggling with it.
    So today, instead of dealing with a lot of "mind chatter", I made the decision, got ALL OF MY STUFF together, bike on rack, drove 10 miles out, parked..........And, enjoyed a lovely 16 mile ride !!

Now, I DON'T DO DIETING, but......I do watch what I eat -- VERY healthy stuff, no meat, tofu, lots of veggies/fruits (some days/weeks are better than others!). We have a scale in the house, but I don't use it. Anyhow, my clothes are definitely getting looser.
    And, even though my body has extra insulation, I know that I have LESS than when I started riding 3 months ago.....I can feel my thigh muscles getting A LOT STRONGER!!!!! What a BONUS!!!!

If anyone has any ideas as to types of physical activity that can be done during the winter months, so as not to lose everything that was gained when bicycling. We have a trainer, so that's an option. (but, to be honest, I really find riding indoors to be EXTREMELY BBBOOOOORRRRIINNNGGG!!

For those of you who have been riding awhile ---- when you have been away from cycling b/c of the winter, etc., do you LOSE A LOT of the fitness that you gained from cycling the previous season?

I REALLY NEED to build up my upper body strength. I have some upper extremity problems -- TOS, RSDS. Painful conditions, but I do have good days mixed in there .
    I am thinking of joining a pool so I can really learn to swim. Probably would be great for my shoulders!

Well, it's early in the morning right now, and I should be in bed sleeping..... So, I'll sign off now & get into bed.

I hope that you & all those that you love are doing well !

Peace & Love,

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant