Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Anyone else feel this way?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone!

I really, really enjoy riding -- my husband and I just started on June 5th. Up until that time, the only riding I did was in parking lots. That's because I was PETRIFIED of traffic - big cars, Mack trucks, etc....

Thankfully, I've gotten over that, for the most part. We moved on to a bike path, and now we're actually on the road . (that is, when it's not raining out here ). I'm grateful to this site and also a few people here who have shared some links with me regarding 'safe riding'.

Here's the thing -- sometimes, when I'm riding up a hill, it does take me awhile, and I'm huffing & puffing my way up the hill (mind you, they're not BIG hills....they are long & rolling though)... There are lots of cyclists out where we ride, and of course, they constantly pass me.
    I certainly don't mind that they pass me - they're faster & more experienced riders....

I am overweight - I'd like to lose about 50 pounds. (I am 100 pounds less than I was in 2001 ).
    I guess I'm just embarrassed about looking like I'm having a very difficult time getting up a hill. (I don't just "look" like I'm having a tough time, I really am).
    But, it really is getting easier!!

I don't know WHY I even care what other people think??!! I am very proud of myself for getting out there & riding in the first place. It reminds me of when I was a very obese teenager & getting horribly made fun of.

I SHOULD be out there during the day, by myself, riding....but, I feel more comfortable when my husband and I are out together. Of course, I love going out & enjoying rides with my husband !

That will be my next goal -- going out for a ride by myself, AND feeling good about it!! I'll have to work on that one .

Thanks for listening!!!

Denise
    Last edited by Denise223; 07-14-2006 at 11:28 AM.

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

well, join the legions of other timid riders!
    I have a friend who won't ride on the road at all!
    And don't worry about puffing up the hill. I've been on both
    sides of that equation, been passed a million times and sometimes
    I pass people too.
    If someone is passing you, you've made their day. they are thinking,
    COOL, I passed someone!!

so when someone passes you, smile because you know, you just made their day
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding is wonderful

Don't ever be embarrassed that you might be slower, a little heavier, whatever. YOU ARE OUT THEIR RIDING! which is a lot better than most!

Riding bikes for me has always been a thing I do for health and fitness. I've done my share of racing, but bottom line, it is for the health benefits and the fact that it is JUST GOOD FUN! I always encourage people to challenge themselves - like go for a ride alone! If we sit around and never do the things we are afraid of, what is life all about?

You've come a long way! Celebrate that! And then celebrate the next stepQ

Keep up the good work - and play!

spokewrench,
    I ride alone sometimes, but the longest ride alone i've ever done is 19 miles.
    the longest ride with DH is 120! (in one day)
    I am a lot less apt to try big rides alone.
    that's a combination of timidity and LAZINESS.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Just think of it as inspiring those of us that are thinking of riding those country roads with hills. Seeing more people of different fitness levels out there would bring me joy. I too am afraid of cars due to no shoulders on the windy roads where I live, but someday I'm going to be like you after I've learned what I need to learn.

Denise - I think is is just human nature to be concerned about what others think, or more correctly, what we THINK they think. Most of the time, other people are not even aware of what makes us self-conscious. Others are just thinking about what others think of them (if that makes any sense). The funny thing is, when people tell me about the things they feel most self-conscious about, I always think, "oh, that's no big deal", but it is a really big deal to that person.

You have so much to be proud of and you've only been riding a little over a month!! As for me, I have a very hard time riding hills, as some of the ladies on this board with whom I have ridden can attest. I have to get off and walk while they wait patiently for me at the top of the hill. I think everyone feels like you do to some degree. Hang in there. Just think of where you will be with your goals 1 year from now!!

Happy riding,
    Nina

Denise,

On the riding alone thing -- there's definitely safety in numbers! I don't blame you for not wanting to tackle some of the rides alone. There's certain roads around here that I've ridden with groups that I absolutely will NOT go on by myself. It mostly has to do with the amount of traffic and the amount of road shoulder.

Don't worry about huffing & puffing up the hills. Heck, I was huffing and puffing up a slight hill when this carload of guys drove by. One of them (Mr. Joe Cool) hung his head out the car window and asked, "What's up?" All I could think of to say back was, "My heart rate!"

On hills, practice usually makes perfect. I'll bet you'll be amazed in a few months when you BLAST up one of the hills that you're currently huffing and puffing on.

Keep up the great work!

Your sister in huffing and puffing,
    Melissa

It did take me a while to enjoy riding on the road as opposed to paths and parks. Now I generally prefer the road as there are no walkers/runners in my way.

I also like to ride by myself. Oh, not all the time. But I have my own thoughts, I stop and have a clifbar on my own schedule, I set my own pace and my own route. I can stop, go, go further, go home, go in a store, stop and take a nap. Very nice!

Hi Denise,

I'm a fairly new rider too. I started on the bike paths and would only ride with some one. This year, riding has gotten a bit more serious for me and I joined a club and learned to ride in a group on the roads. I even started to wear spandex bike shorts with the group! Its only been the past month or two that I've been able to go out my door and ride around my own town by myself. The first time I did it, I was very self conscious but I did it and even made it back up my hill on my bike. Last night was a big breakthrough for me, I went out my door and did my town ride in my bike shorts! I'm over 50 and 50# over weight so I don't have a sleek, athletic looking body. I felt wierd at first but I'm over it and going out again tonight - in spandex.

The first time is the hardest. After that - you'll be good to go!

Good luck,
    Patty

I am FAR more impressed and inspired when I see a heavier person out there riding, than I am when I see a racer type flying by...

don't get me wrong, racers are amazing at the level they ride at... but so are YOU. Don't forget that.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick68
    I am FAR more impressed and inspired when I see a heavier person out there riding, than I am when I see a racer type flying by...

don't get me wrong, racers are amazing at the level they ride at... but so are YOU. Don't forget that.

What she said!!!

I am so impressed with your progress and how far you've come!! The comfort level with riding alone will come in time. In the meantime, who cares how long it takes to get up a hill or whatever. What matters is how you feel - and eventually, that you are making progress (like you had to stop fewer times or you felt you weren't breathing as hard or you went a little faster.)

And none of the speedier folks who pass you know anything about you or what you've accomplished. So if they make judgments (which they probably won't bother to anyway) - they are doing so with incomplete information.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Denise --

I mostly ride with my husband too. Once in a while I go out by myself, but I do avoid heavy traffic when I do!

Here's what I like AND dislike about riding with him: he rides faster than I do. I LIKE it because it challenges me to work a bit harder. He's one of those guys that these ladies who know more than I call a hammerhead, I think, and he probably pays for it, but I get a better work out when I ride with him than when I ride alone. I get an even better work out when I ride in a group -- especially a group of roadies! (I ride a hybrid/comfort bike, and work LOTS harder -- or at least a lot longer! to get there than they do!)

Karen in Boise

Talking Thank You Ladies Soooo Much!!! :)

All of you ladies really, really ARE THE BEST!!!! Now, why can't we all live near one another???? !

Thank you ALL so much for taking the time to answer my post!!

All of you are like a big group of girlfriends, and we're just sitting wherever, (campfire, restaurant, ice cream stand....etc...) , and talking & exchanging thoughts & ideas. It's comforting to know that I can come here & be honest.

Posted by Nina R. Messina: The funny thing is, when people tell me about the things they feel most self-conscious about, I always think, "oh, that's no big deal", but it is a really big deal to that person.
    That is SOOOOO TRUE!!! Recently, when I was driving, I saw this woman who was very obese, walking.....and, I said to my husband, "Good for her - God Bless her!" . I was honestly so happy to see her out there, where she has every right to be. And, some stupid young guys in the car behind me were making fun of her -- I just wanted to smack them!!!
    Some people, I have to remember, are just plain ignorant!!!

God Bless all of you Ladies (and, everyone that you love)...

You've really helped me to think about a lot of things, and I really appreciate ALL OF YOU!!

Have a peaceful night & a beautiful weekend!!

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

"If you only knew how infrequently people were thinking about you, you wouldn't really care what people were thinking about you!" There's a saying that goes something like that.

It doesn't sound like you're worried about riding alone for the usual reasons - you're worried about it because you think if you're with your hubby people will think differently about you? Again, no offense, but I don't think people are thinking about you at all! Seriously! They're out suffering up the same hill. Remember - it doesn't get easier, you just get faster!

One more thing. Those of us who are larger (I could stand to lose half my current weight) are working harder to get up the hills - 'cause we have to haul all that bio-load. OF COURSE the guys who have to stand twice to cast a shadow on their weightless bikes blow by us up the hills.

It ain't fair, but that's the way it is.

We're getting more of a workout, though.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX