Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New Rider

New Rider

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello,

I just purchased my bike about two weeks ago. It's a Ozone 500, Silver Cannon. It has been over 12 yrs since the last time I rode a bike. I have taken it slow and I am learning all the gears. It am having a time getting used to the springs in the seat and stearing.

I went out one night and it was so wonderful I came back in telling my dad I could have rode for hours.. However, I knew better that if I had done that I could have really hurt myself. I am waiting for the women's cycling book to come in so I can read up. I have seen a few people mention a riding log or journal. I'm intersted in know what that is all about.

One of the managers in my office is a avid bike rider. He is going to sell me his odometer/and half a dozen other tricks. Then I should have a better idea of how far and how fast I'm riding.

Hi and welcome!

How's it going for you? Sometimes it take a while to get used to all this stuff and build up coordination, I should know

Regarding journaling - it's fun to keep a journal of your rides, with say, length of time, miles, avg speed if you have a cyclecomputer (or if you can estimate it), how achey you feel after , and that sort of thing. In that way you can look back in a few weeks or months to see how well you've progressed. You can use a plain old notebook, or there's a nifty website at www.bikejournal.com where you could keep your journal online.

Happy New Year,
    - Jo.

Talking it's not a bike, it's a way of life

congrats on the new bike purchase, and welcome to the boards. this forum is an excellent resource, the people are very supportive, and the old threads are chock full of useful info.

motivational quote stolen from a movie and applied to a differnt sport (from 'point break.' don't judge me, but i actually like that movie ): "Surfing's the source, man. It'll change your life." well, doing something you love is the source-- surfing, biking, whatever. stick with it!!

the bike computer is very useful, helps you realize your stengths and weaknesses, and lets you know when you're having a good day... or not so much. my own next purchase (besides a new bike) is a heart rate moniter, which i gather is also indispensible. knowing someone who bikes is very handy. pick his brain!! at the beginning, you learn a lot very quickly, and no question is too stupid.
    I used to dream about ice cream, Antonio Banderas, and daquiris on the beach. Now, i dream about fresh pavement...

thank you thank you for the link to that site! I made a new years resolution to put 200 miles a month on this year, but my only way to log it so far has been my computer! this should help a lot!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".