Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Question Do I -have- to wear those silly shorts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I commute 25km round trip to work 5 days a week. Up until yesterday, I did this on a clunker road bike from the 70s. The trip was 35-40 minutes each way and took everything I had to make it up the hills. I've cut the time down on the new bike (Trek WSD 1000), and it's actually a -pleasant- and easy commute. Save the 18-wheelers that nearly suck my weightless aluminum frame underneath them.

I wear lycra/drifit running short shorts with a cotton thong (thong is non-negotiable. Normal underpants just don't ever stay!). I was getting some swelling on the outer girly bits in the ancient saddle--and I'm sure it doesn't help that halfway through the commute I stop to ride my narrow horse in my narrow Dressage saddle. I thought the magical 'women specific design' seat would help my problem, but honestly, I'm not sure where/how I should be sitting in the saddle. Help a Dressage rider out, here. This whole cycling thing looks like more of a hunt-seat.

-Should my seatbones be right at the back of the saddle or more in the middle?
    -Do I want to open my hips and tilt my pelvis forward (the pain and swelling is occurring toward the rear of my girl parts--in relieving that pressure will I just be creating new unwanted pressure toward the front?)?
    -Should my toes have to point slightly down to reach the pedals or does this mean my seat is too high?
    -Do I really need to get those god-awful-looking cycling shorts for relief? I'm only riding an hour a day! And the short-shorts tan is far more flattering. Are there bicycle short shorts, or just the really long ones? if not, WHY not? As long as the shorts clear the nose of your saddle, isn't that long enough? And do they all go up to your ribs, or are there low-on-the-hips shorts (I've the same grievance for equestrian riding pants.. what about the short-torsoed of us?!)?

Okay, so this turned into a bit of a rant. But all comments are much appreciated!

Yes... silly shorts, no thong. Your grrlie parts will be oh so much happier.

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Am I the only one that feels incredibly sexy and athletic in a pair of cycling shorts??

I can't imagine going without my kotex shorts! There are shorter cycling shorts. Plus, if cycling shorts really bother you, just get cycling skorts. If you go to the products section of this website and google skorts you can see what they look like -- they're cute (bicycling shorts with a skort over them).

Kimmyt "Am I the only one that feels incredibly sexy and athletic in a pair of cycling shorts?? "

no, you're not the only one! We all look incredibly sexy and athletic in our cycling shorts

...Or capris, I'm wearing those right now! I don't think I'll bike to work though, got going too late, but in the capris very easy to pop in on a spin class at lunch.

and the cycling shorts don't have to be spandex variety, you can wear MTB shorts, they look like....well, shorts.

Thongs on a bike? No way.
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-14-2006 at 05:23 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Cycling shorts of course. Skirt over shorts are an idea, but I really like showing off my thighs (I'm with you KimmyT) and I hate the idea of the skirt over the shorts getting caught in my saddle as I stand up or move around. Useless for me. Can work for you.

Some of them are made shorter, PI Sugar come to mind, but if you search around this forum you'll find an answer to that (personally I prefer longer shorts because they cause less chafing on my inner thighs).

You should indeed tilt your hips and sit on the back of the saddle, on your sitbone.

Women-specific saddles don't work for all women. They certainly don't work for me when they are short and bulky. I love a sleek, narrow saddle (130 mm) with a long nose and a cut-out. If yours doesn't work, find another one...

One hour on the bike is pretty serious time. Be nice to your girly parts...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    They make low rise bike shorts (short in length). Look on the TE website, or Terry makes some also. I would definitely do the bike short thing (and ditch the thong- really- your girly bits will thank you). Even tho you're only on your bike an hour a day, that's like 6 hours in girly-bit time.
    If you have a store near you, go try some on. If you don't want a very big chamois, then buy some triathlon shorts (they come in very short lengths, and the chamois is very thin- thin enough for padding support, but not big and bulky like cycling shorts designed for longer rides).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by run it, ride it
    -Should my toes have to point slightly down to reach the pedals or does this mean my seat is too high?
    You should not have your toes on the pedal at all - the balls of your feet are the contact point. But based on your description of your toes pointing down to reach the pedal, I suspect that your saddle is too high. I highly recommend taking your bike to your LBS for a fitting.

On the shorts front, I wouldn't dream of wearing anything other than long cycling shorts. To me, the odd tan lines are a badge of honor, and the shorts provide both comfort and protection. (And yes, in spite of using a lot of sunscreen, I still end up with lines). That said, there are shorter versions of cycling shorts out there. Take a look at the large selection on the TE site.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

When everyone above said 'no thong', what they really meant was 'no nothing'! No granny-panties either. Nothing. Nada. Zip. The chamois is designed to be right up against your skin, and anything else will (well, can, there are exceptions!) cause problems.

It took awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmyt
    Am I the only one that feels incredibly sexy and athletic in a pair of cycling shorts??
    Not any more.

I used to feel incredibly fat and ugly and stupid looking in my bike shorts... that is until I dropped 30+ pounds. Took a lot of miles, a lot of self-control and hard work but hey, now I feel pretty good about how I look, in bike shorts or almost anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by run it, ride it

-Should my seatbones be right at the back of the saddle or more in the middle?
    -Do I want to open my hips and tilt my pelvis forward (the pain and swelling is occurring toward the rear of my girl parts--in relieving that pressure will I just be creating new unwanted pressure toward the front?)?

. what about the short-torsoed of us?!)?

Okay, so this turned into a bit of a rant. But all comments are much appreciated!
    As a former wannabe dressage rider, I think i can help you. Riding a bike
    you actually use different muscles, you don't want to stretch the insides of your leg, you want to have as much power in your strokes as possible.
    Your sit bones should be to the rear of the saddle and you should not have to move your butt to pedal at all.
    We dont know what kind of saddle you are sitting on, but chances are it would be better used as a book end. Lord knows how many seats we have shredded on this forum. The seat might not be right for you.
    your HEELS should be down, not your toes. if your heels aren't down, you need to lower the saddle. the saddle should be as close as horizontal as you can stand it too.

Please read the favorite saddle posts for more info.
    Why on earth are you wearing a thong?
    if you don't like the spandex shorts, there are lots of other kinds to wear that
    will also protect you. I have some blousy ones and some gals wear skorts.
    good luck. I am glad you are still riding your horse.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Why do people always have to bring up the self control? Sheeeesh! I do look forward to feeling sexy in biking shorts, though, so maybe self control will raise its head before long.

This morning I rode w/o biking shorts for the first time, a very quick ride to Starbucks. It's not awful but I wouldn't want to do a long ride that way!

run it, ride it --

If you're TRULY not wanting to try biking shorts, I'd try going commando with what you're wearing now and see if that helps your girly bits. But honestly, the biking shorts aren't that bad and they do have short ones!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Yes, I think so.

My butt is already huge... without extra padding added to it...so I don't feel sexy in them. I feel like I have a super-huge-booty in them.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I don't quite feel sexy, but strong. I like wearing my spandex like a badge of honor- especially in a race. It's the only place where modesty goes, and everyone looks like an athlete, regardless of their state of physical fitness.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Yes you do. Buy a pair and wear them. Do it now.