Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A Ride I Heard About

To disable ads, please log-in.

Had a note yesterday from "my" bike club -- SPIN (www.spinidaho.org). It was passing along information about a ride that might just be interesting!

Here's the web link: http://www.cyclingcrazy.com -- on the right, there's the link to the "Walowa Classic" that is coming up at the beginning of September.

Does anyone know anything about the area??????

Karen in Boise

hiked it

I've camped at the lake and hiked in the area. It ought to be a beautiful ride. At first I thought the elevation gain would be extreme - none of that area is flat. But, after reading the breif description, it shouldn't be too bad. If it's the main road between those cities they are moderately well-traveled 2-lane 50 mph roads. I don't remember much in the way of shoulders (but I was driving and not looking for them).
    I think I'd be tempted to do the Elgin option, my memory is that the road gets prettier as it gets closer to the lake, but I could be off on that. The campsite at the lake is a very nice one for car camping, nice facilities and moderately private for a public campground.
    I'm booked up this year, but plan on bookmarking the site for next year. If you go, you'll have to report back.

The area is beautiful. It's been called North America's Alps. Several friends and I are planning to do the ride. Should be great.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kano
    Does anyone know anything about the area??????

Karen in Boise
    It's one of the most beautiful places in the world. Chief Joseph's spirit is there.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I have also camped in the area and just loved it! Beautiful area.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

How about hills? Big ones? Lots of the invisible kind that sneak up on you and wear you down? I probably can't really, but flats feel like "I can ride forever" -- hills of ANY sort, on the other hand....

Hubby says I should probably not even think about this ride this year, and he's most likely right, I should wait until next summer -- but geez, to think that a few months ago, I wouldn't even have been tempted!

Hopefully, the organizers will decide it's been successful enough to do it again, so I'll have the opportunity some day!

Karen in Boise