Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: and more shorts

and more shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anybody have experience with plus-size mtb shorts? The baggies? Which ones do you like? (And what do you look for?)

While I'm at it, what about plus-size road shorts? I have an apple shape so am kind of worried about how I'll look and feel in them.

ETA: I guess all baggy shorts aren't mtb shorts, huh?

Well, I don't know all the terminology, but which baggy/mtb/whatever shorts do you like? Do they bunch up when you ride?
    Last edited by pooks; 07-12-2006 at 08:24 AM.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Shorts

I'm really interested in what everyone says. Shorts are my big dilemma right now... I wear a size large, size 10 and I'm a pear shape. Hopefully when I can ride more, I'll change that! I'm not ready for a pair of road shorts. I do have a pair of Louis Garneaus that are semi baggie, and I won't wear them if I ride over 10 miles. They end up bunching up on me, and I end up fighting my shorts while I'm trying to ride. So I found a Pearl Izumi "skort". Basically it's a road short with a little skirt over it. They are expensive, but fairly comfortable, and I'm not as self-conscious about my rear-end!

Baggy shorts are mountain bike shorts but you can choose to wear them on your road bike if you feel more comfortable. Lots of people do. I often wear baggies if I meeting someone for lunch or dinner during a ride.

Terry carries a nice line of plus size shorts. Very comfortable and sizes are realistic (so if you wear 1X slacks, a 1X shorts will fit).

Finding Plus size MTB shorts is harder. This website sells some by Mt. Borah. I bought a pair - unfortunately they were very large. They were however, very comfortable and come in different colors. Just wish they would have fit!!!

One other issue, depending on how tall you are... women's baggies tend to be too short if you ask me. Not certain why manufacturers think women's shorts should be so short other than to show off leg, it defeats the purpose of why I wear a baggy (to protect my thighs from thistles and tall weeds) so I tend to buy men's short since they are longer (but I'm 5'8" and can get away with it). SInce the women's short are shorter they will ride up - I hate that!

I like PI baggies because of their fit and material but many other brands are made with a drawstring which may be helpful if your thighs are large and waist is small - you can tighten the drawstring.
    Last edited by bcipam; 07-12-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Or you can wear road shorts on MTB and look just fine!!

THe Sugoi Neopro short goes up to 2XL, that's a road short, and there's the Devote short, also 2XL, which is a baggy "urban" short.

I think bigger women look fine in road shorts. It's very much too bad that more manufacturers don't offer their entire line in bigger sizes- I'm sure people would be happy to buy them!
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Thanks. I have long legs and am also 5'8" and the baggies I have (comfort shorts from LLBean) do ride up. I ordered a pair of road shorts from Boure. They're very nice to deal with. I just hope I can stand to wear them, and that they fit.

I also ordered another pair of baggies, today. The Mt. Borahs here on TE, so I could take advantage of free shipping.

I noticed those skorts and wondered how they actually worked out. I'm glad to know they're comfortable. Do they ride up?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Skort

Pooks-

I usually wear the waist of the skort a little lower than my natural waistline, and I haven't had a riding up problem.

XXL Road shorts from Terry

I bought a pair of these from the classifieds at tis site. Since the legs are long, and they stay down, I like them. Still don't know about the chamois, though. I am thinking I am already heavily padded, but I am not ready to rip it out yet. What I really love is BREATHING! I rode in regular jeans, and since I have drop handlebars, my belly was pinched by my jeans. The lycra expands, and is comfortable. I wear a long t-shirt over the shorts,so only my thighs show. (OOPS I just wondered about my back veiw while riding but I don't care, they are all motorists anyway, so let them be offended. (Most of my riding is through an industrial area.) Besides the breathing room is worth it. In fact, I've even been wearing my shorts for sailing when I am not biking (due to breakdowns)
    I don't find the elastic around the bottem of the legs or at the waist to be constricting. It is just the Baby Huey feel of the chamois that seems weird, but I think I am getting used to it.

Besides doesn't black make us all look like a size 6?
    I'm getting used to the idea that I'll look fat no matter what I wear, so let me be functional.

Mary
    It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... ...It is TOO my lane!!!...

Baggies

Description says:
    If you’ve sworn off tight fitting cycling shorts then you’ll soon be swearing by this baggy. A super lightweight, stretch mesh liner with seamless chamois floats inside a comfortably baggy outer short.Velcr'ed cargo and energy bar stash pockets make this the perfect all-day, all-terrain bike short.

http://www.titlenine.com/shopping/pr...keyword=135425

Pooks: Baggy shorts/road shorts. I kept wearing shorts over the road shorts, until one day, I saw some guys out biking with road shorts, and hairy beer guts hanging out of unbuttoned cotton button-down shirts. I knew there was no way I could possibly look NEARLY that nasty, and if men can be out in public looking like that, then I could wear my bike shorts (I quickly discovered that one layer really is more comfortable than two!) in public -- when I'm biking! I tend to bring something to cover up in afterward for in case DH and friend decide food/drink is important post ride! (not that I'd let being in shorts and t--shirt stop me from eating and drinking!)

Guys in their "finery" can be very liberating!

Karen in Boise