Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

78 miles, pulling 78 pounds!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, I'm not exactly sure how much the trailer weighs, but that's a good guess.

Let's see I think my last update we were in Lunenburg. We had two days of great weather. Monday was a short day, we went to Rissers Beach campground. It was kind of foggy, but by the time we got to the campground, it was sunny. We lucked into a spot near the showers and spent some time walking the trails and the beach.

Yesterday was a long day - 78 miles, but the weather was good, took lots of photos along the way. Just after we went to bed, a thunderstorm began. I swear it was right over the tent.

Tonight we're in a B&B in Shag Harbor, where I guess there have been a lot of UFO sightings.

I've started thinking about planning for the next school year as I ride. I think that's a sign that it's time for the trip to be over. It's been geat. We've seen some great scenery and learned some interesting things. Did you know sand dollars when they are alive are not gray? And lobsters swim backwards?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Well hurry up and get back! I have some "fun" Mt. Tam Double training rides planned for you. See, if I can't ride I have to live vicariously.....
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

V- Sorry to hear that school is "lurking" in the background. Yeah, all good things do eventually come to an end!

It will be nice to have you and Cindy Sue back in the fold (so to speak). Looking forward to more stories and LESS rain!
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Did you know sand dollars when they are alive are not gray?
    V.
    What color are they?

Glad to hear an update. I'm very impressed with the 78/78. Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

The guy I was talking to about sand dollars said they come in different colors. He used the word multi-colored to descibe them.

It's been foggy and stormy the last 24 hours. We're now back in Yarmouth. Tomorrow we take the CAT back to Portland, Maine and just have a short ride to my sister's house in Windham.

Shag Harbor was cool. The folks at the B&B were awesome. They let me use their washer and dryer to do our laundry. They drove us to and from dinner and took me out to see a lighted boat parade. I also learned a lot about lobstering and being a baker. I have to say, I am getting tired of seafood, egg salad sandwiches and grilled cheese.

We had a big storm roll in at about 3 this morning. So most of our ride from Shag Harbor to Yarmouth was in the rain this morning.

Mount Tam... hmmm... every time I talk to Thom, I tell him I have misgivings about Tam. We'll see how I feel after a few days off the bike. We've ridden over 600 miles in the last two weeks, with only one day off. I'm NOT hating the bike, but I'm looking forward to riding for "fun" a bit, not "having" to ride, if that makes sense. I'd like to do some mountain biking. And I want to get Fluffy cleaned up. He's GROSS!!!! Maybe I'll feel differently when I can zip around on a "light" bike again.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Well, now I am officially volunteering for Mt. Tam double. Turns out my friend Kevin is in charge of volunteers, which is cool. So I would be there for moral support (or immoral support, depending on mood). I get it about having it be "fun" though. So think it over. It is a tough one and most of it isn't fun.... But the parts that are fun are great - and it's a great goal.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Even the tough parts can be fun. I had fun doing DMD - until mile 130.

But some time off sounds good now.

Are you going to be able to do Knoxville?

V.

TandemHearts.com

Nope. 3 - 6 months of no riding. I will be out of it just in time for it to start raining... But at least I can do stationary bike work. And trail running has suddenly developed a new appeal.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

You could volunteer with us then.

A little cross training is a good thing. Maybe your next thing will be triathalons.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Probably shouldn't try to volunteer since we leave early the next day for Hawaii (tiny violins coming out all over, I am sure). Doing the double was going to be tough enough coordination-wise.

Tris? Nope. No offense to anyone here, really, but I have done a few tri relays for time, and I can't stand riding my bike with most triathletes. I've raced my bike in tight packs, etc. I know triathletes cannot draft, but in the process, most of them are dreadful at riding in groups. They don't hold a line cornering, move erratically, etc. Again, no offense to anyone here - that's just something I have observed in the tris I have done. Also, I am nothing but a survival swimmer.

Trail running just works (in theory) because there are so many great hill trails right out my door. I am a stone's throw (by someone who could actually throw a stone) from the Dipsea steps and trail. And trail running for me is basically fast hiking. Which is something I really like. Hoping to get my calves in shape by Yosemite!! (They always seem to hurt after a hike - I guess cycling works different muscles.)

I'm also hoping that some consistent training, without the once a week 7 hour rides, will make it a bit easier for me to focus on consistent food intake and go into next year at a better cycling weight. Especially if I want to do the 508, weight is key.

Boy I sure did hijack your thread didn't I?? Sorry! Hope the rest of your trip is safe!

Thanks for the postcard!!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I don't really mind thread hikacks. It's kind of like natural drift in a conversation.

Glad you liked the postcard. I thought the part about padding the calves under the stockings was just too funny - especially since I'm a big calf oogler.

V.

TandemHearts.com