Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a smaller CB that I too picked up at Bass Pro Shop. It doesn't make me hot, in fact the opposite when it is filled with cold stuff. Now if I could just figure out how to keep the water in the tube cold....

I use Camelbaks for both road and mountain biking. A smaller one for road.

Advantage - disadvantage... biggest advantage is the ability to carry larger quantities of water and it's easy to access. I find I drink more when I have the nozzle right there. When I ride with a water bottle, I find it difficult to reach down and get the bottle and put it back. In fact, have dropped it a few times and am alway worried about looking down missing something ont he road etc.

Also you can carry just about everything in the pack, even the smaller road pack.

Disadvantages: Biggest complaint I hear, but it has never bothered me, is the weight on one's back and shoulders. Plus it's hot. The packs are really built well to distribute the weight and well, I think the pack actually keeps me cooler as I tend to sweat between the pack and my back. The sweat helps keep me cool.

Just my preference. I wouldn't ride without one.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I have the Daystar and my son has the classic.

I bought the Daystar because I'm busty and the Daystar has straps that are designed for women. The sternum strap is a little higher and the straps are curvier. When I have worn my son's classic (I think that's what it's called--70 oz, just regular stuff on it--it might be an old model), the sternum strap and shoulder straps kind of squeezed me inaccurately. But the Daystar doesn't do that.

If you're built like a boy, it doesn't matter that much...but I'm a DD.

I bought it for our trip to Santa Fe, so I haven't used it much, but I've used his a few times. I think filling it with icy water would take care of the sweaty back problem.

(Advice on MTBing in Santa Fe welcome! I'll be there on Labor Day Weekend.)

Karen

Camelbaks are _way_ easier for MTBing. (I was out on my MTB a while ago for the first time in a million years, and some kid says "Why do you carry that bottle when it gets all muddy?" Good point...So when I switched to RB, I still wore the CB for a long time. (Plus, I was used to running trails with a 100oz bladder!!) I actually was so proud to break the CB habit and switch to just bottles. So my frame is small, too, and I can only fit one bottle, but since I'm doing randonneuring and have to have a rack and trunk and all that- once you get used to having it- it's hard to leave it behind. So there I am now with my one bottle, and one or two bottles of something else in the small trunk. BUT on my June and July 200ks I was so worried about heat and how far the stores were going to be apart (June was over 100F) I used my CB, too. Good thing- I would have ran out in June- it was so hot.

That's true- CBs do keep you cooler as long as what's inside is cool!

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Thanks so much for the advice!!!!

I love this discussion group!!! Wow - I really appreciate your suggestions - so many of them and within hours of me posting the question!

I live 40 miles west of St. Louis, where there's a REI, I will make a visit when I pick up my bike. But, we do have a gift card to Bass Pro, it may go towards this, I wouldn't have thought of them.

I only have room for 1 bottle on the new bike, so I may start with a smaller CB, with some cargo space and then see what happens. I too am used to carrying alot of stuff with me on the hybrid - powerbars, bandaids, tampon, spare tube, tools, sunscreen, insect repellent, hand wipes - so it will be hard for me to part with my "stuff" on the road and at the MS150.

Tuckervill, I'm almost same size, and the straps placement will be an issue. That didn't occur to me either. I'm glad that ya'll suggested that I try some on before buying!

Many thanks ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by pooks
    KSH -- Does the Greater Dallas group have any beginner rides? I didn't see any on their webpage. I'm looking for something to teach us how and that isn't too long. The easy ride that starts in Highland Park looks great, but it's a longer distance than we've ever ridden!

As for camelbaks, I want one -- but I just got in from riding for half an hour and am absolutely DRIPPING, and that's without anything on my back. I'm worried I would find something on my back unbearable. Literally!
    DUH!!!!

Sorry, you mentioned the Katy Trail- and I thought you were in Dallas, TX. OOOPSS!

As far as the heat factor with a CB- honestly, if you are that sweaty... well, you won't notice the difference. This just comes a point where the sweat is just there.
    Last edited by KSH; 07-11-2006 at 10:39 AM.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I have a CB MULE (100 oz) that I mostly use for hiking, but I've found it handy on long rides out to the boonies and also commuting to work. I do find that it gets a little warmer, but for me it doesn't outweigh the benefits. I like not having to reach for the bottle (I have to stop pedalling to reach and drink, I'm not that coordinated yet). I also like that I can bring things that won't all fit in my saddle pack. I'd like to get a light weight jacket, I know that will fit (my hiking jacket fits and its bigger/thicker than the cycling jacket I have my eye on). For commuting (20 mi each way) I don't even put water in it, I just use it for my wallet, hair brush, keys, etc. I'm not big on the idea of riding with a huge back pack with all of my clothes and lunch in it, so I take those with me the day before I ride and then just bring the little stuff in the CB. So handy!

I've used a hydration system -- not Camelbak and liked it. I added ice in it and it kept my back cooler in the high heat and humidity. I didn't notice the weight one way or the other.

I've done an MS150 and did not use it for that ride -- there are plenty of places to refill your bottles along the way -- I just take two water bottles and put water in one and Accelerade in the other.

Oh, and I just bought a 72oz light blue Camelback -- it's purty. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Magic

I have the CB Magic. There is a noticeable difference in the straps on the WSD, well worth the extra money. In my opinion, the cooling benefit of staying hydrated (and I do drink more when I have the CB) far outweighs the extra heat on my back...and it's nice to have the extra cargo space on the longer rides. Overall, I'm happy with it.

I went to Mizzou...I loved Columbia when I lived there!
    "The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." -- Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

The one thing I would warn about with Camelbak is the opening mechanism for the bladder. I purchased one about 1.5 years ago and I seriously had so many problems opening it. It killed my hands. It was a new design, not sure if they have changed it, but it was awful. I actually had to have DH open it a few times, and he had a really hard time with it also. My SIL also had a camelback that was very tough to open. I recently purchased a Hydrapak and LOVE the design of opening/closing the bladder. Very easy to use. So, my recommendation, before you purchase a camelbak, try opening and closing it a few times. There wasn't a break in period, if it's tough to open in the store, it will forever be hard to open,
    Last edited by SalsaMTB; 07-11-2006 at 02:10 PM.

I agree, Salsa, when they went to the new wide-mouth bladders, the screw cap seems to tighten up WAY tighter than I know I tightened it. Sometimes I've wondered if I was ever going to get it open...The Rogue lets you just flip up a flap on the back and not remove the bladder- so if you're at a convenience store, a buddy can just top you off without you having to remove it, if you want.

Southernbelle, I don't know if you can get this as an add-on or not, but some of the CBs, like the military versions, have black insulation over the hose that keeps it cooler.
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I just bought a pink "Charm" camelbak to use with my road bike and LOVE IT! It has extra padding on the back so I don't notice the weight nor the sweat. I love being able to get a drink while riding without any problems (I could never get my water bottle in and out without "weaving"). I put ice and water in it and carry a water bottle of gatorade in the bottle cage (for when we stop). This camelbak has the little pocket which is the PERFECT size for two bars and my keys. Also has an elastic "thingy" to hold a jacket or whatever. I also thought the water tasted fine (sometimes it seems like things like this can, well, make water taste HORRIBLE).

My husband has one as well - no, not pink his is red - and he loves his for his road bike as well. We both have hybrids (our LBS calls them "bike SUVs") and don't use the camelbaks when we ride them.

Lorie

Kitsune06 Guest
    What a coincidence this topic be up when I signed in this evening!

I'm a CB freak. I love the things- for some reason, when I was young and they first came out, the concept of a soft container for fluids blew my mind.

I have two, one waist-pack 45 ouncer, and a Hydrapak Ammo. The original Hydrapak bag died on me (water started seeping out the silver fabric back for some reason) so I just retrofitted it with a 70 oz Omega reservoir, and while I had it all apart, I installed one of those caps to keep the nozzle clean and cleaned out the 'hydrolock'.

I won't ride without mine... It's just too handy for holding things, carrying all the water you'll need (gatorade or cytomax in a bottle, set aside), and whatever else.

I've already crashed along the trail hard enough to rupture a bladder- and the fact that I ruptured it makes me wonder what kind of damage would have been done to *me* had I not had it.

That all said, I mtb, so I'm not sure about roadies...

Thanks

Thanks again for all the advice - It looks like they haven't changed the screw top, thanks for making me aware of the problem.
    We found our gift card to Bass Pro Shop and bought 3 - My husband bought the MULE, and I bought 2 small (50 ltr) CB's for our 8 year old and I. They were $15! Unfortunately, they had no WSD packs, so I'm going to see how I like the small one, and then wait for a sale at REI to come up.

My son and I had our CBs loaded and in the freezer for a ride today, but the clouds and lightening are coming our way.....so we're postponing until tomorrow.

Lorie - your LBS is right; hybrids are the new bike version of SUVs!

Patty

Kitsune-

Wow, you must have really landed hard to rupture the bladder! I have landed on mine, on my back, countless times with no problem. (It's nice cushioning!)

Nanci