Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Helmets and dates

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. It was beautiful and cool down South!

I'm upgrading my helmet. Current one is heavy and hot.

In looking at them this weekend, I noticed that there are dates inside.

Specifically I'm looking at the Giro Pneumo. The one that fit had a date of Sept 05. Somewhere I thought I heard that helmets had a shelf life, and that part of it was just the fact that the materials became brittle after time, even if they were not worn.

Am I crazy? Would you spend $140 on a helmet that was almost a year old?

In my experience, a helmet lasts way over 5 years. You just won't get to sue the manufacturer. Any other opinions? Or are you gonna keep it on the dashboard of your car, or in the glaring sun all the time?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

The Pneumo comes with its own protective pod, doesn't it? It'll be safe from direct sunlight!

I have heard rumours or what you are talking about, though, but I don't know if that is based in fact or not.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I re-read my post and realized it wasn't clear.

I guess the question really is:

Is it stupid to purchase a helmet from a shop that is already a year old?

No, I think we understood it. "They" say that about one of the components of running shoes too- it breaks down over time and they lose their cush. (Which is why people who believe that won't buy last years clearance shoes). I'm not convinced...I want to see proof that something goes bad in helmets (or shoes) before I believe it.

You _could_ write to Giro and ask about the shelf life of their products- is this an issue?

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I was told by my bike shop that it's sweat that breaks down the foam the most. If the helmet hasn't been used, it probably hasn't degraded much at all.

Also, I had a Giro Pneumo that really saved me during a crash in May. While the outside of the helmet wasn't even cracked and you had to really search to find where it contacted the ground, the foam on the inside cracked down the middle. There was absolutely no damage to my head. Then I got to take a sledge hammer to it at the bike shop (I guess they can't just put it in the dumpster when it had been through a crash) and it took 4 good wacks before I broke the plastic. I highly recommend that helmet!

Susie
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Surely sweat & heat & sunlight & Gatoraide and Gawd-knows-what-all does interesting things to helmets. (in addition to the fumble-fingered dropping that nobody here is guilty of ) Isn't that why we should replace helmets every now and again?

Since the helmet in question is safely in the LBS, nestled in a box, we can assume that it hasn't had those assaults. I'd buy it.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Well that does it.
    I was always taught to listen to a Mom. Especially one on a bike!

And if the date is on a bike, you should both be wearing your helmets, for protection, you know... (another mom!)

Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    Surely sweat & heat & sunlight & Gatoraide and Gawd-knows-what-all does interesting things to helmets. (in addition to the fumble-fingered dropping that nobody here is guilty of ) Isn't that why we should replace helmets every now and again? .

And here I thought we replace 'em because we get tired of having a blue helmet, or a red one, or a purple one, or whatever!

Karen in Boise

Helmet dates

My BF is a sales rep for Bell/Giro. He says the dates are on there because lots of products have production dates and it has nothing to do with a "use by" date or anything like that. The helmet companies recommend using a helmet for up to 3 years from the time of purchase (depending on how you treat it.) Apparently dropping it, throwing it in your car, etc. can take a toll on the foam.

So don't worry about how long that helmet has been on the shelf

Giro Pneumo

Grey Gato,
    If you don't have a color preference Performance Bike has the Pneumo on sale : http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4210
    I have this helmet (in wht) and I highly recommend it. I ride here in the desert of Arizona and I can attest to the fact that it does help with with the heat. The ample venting is great.