Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New Here

New Here

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all! My friends Brandy & Tiffinie told me about this place and I'm so happy they did. My name is Kori, I'm 31, have two sons and live in Northern California. I just recently started riding since my 4 and 6 year old boys are both riding without training wheels now and I was having trouble keeping up on foot. I work 2 days a week at a fire department about 14 miles away, drive a gas guzzling pickup with the worst gas prices ever and could definitely use the exercise. There's an awesome bike trail for about 2/3 of ride. So I rode the 14 miles to work today for the first time on my mountain bike to prove to my husband (and myself) that I could do it and I enjoyed it. The firefighters joked that they were going to get out the defibrillator for me when I arrived bright red and out of breath. LOL Now I'm off to buy a road bike this week.

I also could stand to lose about 25 pounds so I'm hoping riding will get me started on a healthier more active lifestyle. Riding to work should help me lay off the cookies, pastries and all the fattening foods the guys cook at the fire station. I don't want to eat all the calories I just burned and be left with nothing to show for my ride but sore muscles.

I can't wait to check out the rest of the site. It's nice to meet you all.

Kori!!! Glad you decided to join in. You'll be hooked in no time

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Congratulations! Keep some apples and good stuff at the station. I tell myself I can eat the bad stuff AFTER I've had an apple. It works--I usually don't want the bad stuff.

My commute is the best part of my day--solitude is a wonderful thing.

Hi Kori!

Hi Kori!

I'm a newbie, too--and like you, I just started back to riding. I'm planning to commute about 5 miles each way starting in late August to the college where I'm finishing up my degree. Also has a really nice bike path for about 2/3 of the way, and interestingly enough, there is a paramedic station near the college so "my" guys can break out the defibrillator if I wobble up, gasping for breath.

Best wishes to you--and good luck with your goals. I think it's great that you will have the chance to ride with your boys. My son's 13 and I've got to get him on the bike--he's going into 8th grade and these parent/kid bonding times are becoming more intentional by necessity. Good luck with the cookies--I'd send you all the cookies I'm determined NOT to eat, but that wouldn't help much with your goal, I'm afraid!

Nancy with the squinting-in-the-early-morning-sun eyes

Keep trac k of how often you don't have to go to the gas station :-) Welcome aboard!

welcome! welcome! WELCOME!!!!!!

Good to see you here, Kori! Welcome!
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Welcome Kori! I am relatively new myself, not only to this group, but to biking. Keep up the good work. I am impressed with your commute. I am not that confident yet with my bike riding abilities. I know I will get there eventually. Again, welcome!
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Hi Kori - welcome - I'm new to the forum also.

Good for you about riding and your future plans. My experience, at least during my first riding life years ago, is that exercise/biking is just another thing that you can make a habit. Like any habit, you tend to stick to it, so it is just patience and perserverance.

The great thing is you are already on your way to doing that.

Best wishes.