Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Figuring out my niche in cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I just did my longest ride of 50 miles today so I had a lot of time to think while on the bike. While I enjoyed the ride, I'm not sure pushing for distance is my thing. I didn't really have a drive today to push for more distance but I do crave faster speeds. Perhaps time trialing would suit me better? I would have to drop some major weight to time trial because at 188 lbs. I might have some difficulty . It just seems like I need to focus on one goal and I do enjoy trying to hammer and get better speeds and time for myself. So, how did you determine what you were good at on the bike? I mean you have time trials, criteriums, brevets, double centuries..... How do I figure out what suits me best?

What are you drawn to?

If time trials are calling you, go for it! Weight doesn't matter, go for what appeals to you NOW.

"Don't put off til tomorrow what you could be enjoying today."
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    You can do lots of different things. I started out racing BMX long ago, moved to road racing, and then to mountain bike racing. While I was not very good at any of them, I enjoyed the competition and had fun.

Now I enjoy using my bike as transportation. My 28 mile RT commute keeps me in shape while getting me to work, so I don't have to spend extra time at a gym. I'm thinking of trying out the randonne scene.

Try different things--you don't have to choose one and ignore the others. Have fun!