Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina R. Messina
    Hey everyone - I'm jealous!! Sounds like you all had a great ride and met a bunch of fun new people. I wish I could have been there. I finally got my triple so no more excuses on the hills!! See you all at Cool Breeze - if not sooner.

Nina
    Nina, we missed you and you would have had a blast. It was a great group of riders. But I would NOT have been able to do the ride without my granny gears!

See you at Cool Breeze!
    Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world. ~ Grant Petersen

Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Holy freaking cow. I'm done. I can't even respond to your version of events Pam. Those who were there know the details and for the record...never, ever, will I bother to plan a ride here at TE again. You can find me at Bike Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Being at the back of the ride I have another perspective. There were actually 3 main groups, the first the fast group of which Cali rode. The next with Brandy and Tiff and off the back, way back, left at the lunch stop was the TE group. Thankfully I knew and the route and BIG THANKS goes out to my buddy Wayne who out of the goodness of his heart, volunteered to sweep the slower riders, especially through the Canyon and after the lunch stop. Not that he mind riding with 5 ladies after lunch.

Just before the Shady Ridge climb we caught up with Brandy and Tiff. This "large" (fluffy) lady just couldn't compete with those youngums and I was passed by everyone going up this short but steep hill. Again Wayne was a big help in making sure the last group got in safe and sound.

BTW - most of the chat and photos are over at the other website. To check it out go to bikeforums.net. Check the ROAD thread and look for "Tour de Sugars Shorts". Brandy, Tiff and Cali are in alot of the photos, especially in the front group, and on page 6 are alot of our group as we rode thru the Canyon. I have on a BCI jersey, Tracy is wearing a nice lavendar/blue top, Audrey has a green shell over a red tank and Judy is wearing a white jersey with blue and green circles. My buddy Wayne has on a LA Fun Ride jersey.
    Oh wow Pam. How is it you know where everyone's position was during the ride? Was Wayne your spy, too? Just curious, since you were left at the back of the ride. Don't get me wrong, he seemed like a nice guy and it was very nice of him to sweep the rear. I'm sure all of the people he was able to assist certainly appreciated his help.

The issue about Caligurl and her dh has already been discussed. No need to re-hash it out here.

NO ONE was left at the lunch stop. I recall riding with you guys from the lunch stop all the way to Shady Ridge. For the record, we weren't puzzled about the trail entrance (we had been there just a few days before), I was having trouble with my gearing and a few people stopped to help me out.

There were actually three times during the ride I was with "your" group and every time came a comment from you basically "shoo-ing" me away. You know, I was there to meet the people I've come to know on the forums (including the people in "your" group), have a good time and enjoy the ride. From what I can tell, 99.9% of the people there did just that.

Actually, FYI, I didn't end up in ANY group while climbing each of the hills. That's right. I was a 'tweener, not too fast but not too slow. All by my lonesome. I was just fine with that though because I wouldn't have been good company anyway, with all of my huffing and puffing.

Your last paragraph here reminds me of some type of popularity contest! I won't even comment on it.

I guess I'm a little surprised. Obviously, I'm a new rider and maybe I'm not getting correct "etiquette" for group rides. But with the amount of people who showed up it would be nearly impossible to keep the pack together. The faster, stronger riders would feel the need to hold back and the slower riders would perhaps feel the need to kick it up a notch. I think everyone rode at their own pace yesterday and there were plenty of regrouping points along the way. I noticed 3 or 4 of the guys riding the front were alternating returning to the back to make sure everyone was safe and doing ok. That really spoke volumes with me, having me think "what a great group! this is what it's all about!"

I'm sorry you feel the way you did/do. Perhaps if you didn't shoo everyone off, it could have been more enjoyable for you.

[/END RANT]

I'm done responding to your negativity. Oh and I didn't bring this "private" for obvious reasons.
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

My perspective - if you read the post was from the of the pack. I lay no claims to the front.

The group that rode with me from lunch to Shady Ridge was Audrey, Tracey, Sylvia, Judy and Wayne. We were met by CJBruin at Laguna Canyon and Alton but he rode ahead. 2 other riders were caught and we finally caught you and Brandy at Quail Hill just before Shady Canyon but we had to stop/slow down for everyone to catch up and you guys rode ahead. We met again just at the entrance to the bike trail. I didn't know what you were doing. I rode up and you passed me.

I Understand you and Brandy are new riders and not acquainted with group riding. I do suggest you come out some time and ride with one of the established OC clubs like OCRR, BCI or OCW. A route slip is posted and everyone goes on their own. No one expects the ride to be swept (unless specifically listed as "no drop" but everyone knows that means "if you can keep up") but this ride was advertised as NO DROP. A number of people drove from all over to participate and were not, unlike club riders, familiar with the area. Someone had to stay back and make sure everyone found the route. Had everyone done this ride before, I wouldn't have worried.

For me this was not a popularity contest. I could care less and maybe that's where the animosity comes from. I'm not in any way trying to steal anyone's thunder. For me it was a chance to do another ride with the great gals I met at TE and help prepare myself for Cool Breeze. I also just wanted everyone to be safe and happy. Nothing else. Sorry. That's it.

BTW Wayne is a nice guy. You really should not disparage him. Me? I'm the first to make fun of myself. But Wayne came out to support us and he was very kind to give up part of his day to assist with the ride. It's just his nature to be kind and helpful. Also thanks go out to all that helped. I know Extort and Jchen and CJBruin and Cali's husband because they hung out back at times but thanks to everyone else who helped and I didn't know.

PSS: I was not shooing you off. I don't much talk during riding especially in groups. Once we spaced out and were riding in 2 and 3's I was OK. The group was very large and all over the road especially up Harvard which makes me nervous. As a former board member of BCI I'm all too aware of the complaints bike clubs get from motorists. Plus a number of years ago I had a very bad crash. I suffered a head injury and fractured collarbone. You didn't know that. But when in large groups of riders I don't know I'm being observant and wary - that may seem standoffish. I know I was alittle "rule nazi" at first and actually got into it with Extort when I complained about some of the riders being out in the road taking photos while cars came by. Sorry - just too many friends have been injuried while riding by their own negligence and by cars. It was just a ride. Everyone had good time. Everyone finished and everyone was safe. Geez, need to stop being so sensitive. Personally, I just don't get it.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

My perspective - if you read the post was from the of the pack. I lay no claims to the front.

The group that rode with me from lunch to Shady Ridge was Audrey, Tracey, Sylvia, Judy and Wayne. We were met by CJBruin at Laguna Canyon and Alton but he rode ahead. 2 other riders were caught and we finally caught you and Brandy at Quail Hill just before Shady Canyon but we had to stop/slow down for everyone to catch up and you guys rode ahead. We met again just at the entrance to the bike trail. I rode up and you passed me.

I Understand you and Brandy are new riders and not acquainted with group riding. I do suggest you come out some time and ride with one of the established OC clubs like OCRR, BCI or OCW. A route slip is posted and everyone goes on their own. No one expects the ride to be swept (unless specifically listed as "no drop" but everyone knows that means "if you can keep up") but this ride was advertised as NO DROP. A number of people drove from all over to participate and were not, unlike club riders, familiar with the area. Someone had to stay back and make sure everyone found the route. Had everyone done this ride before, I wouldn't have worried.

For me this was not a popularity contest. I could care less and maybe that's where the animosity comes from. I'm not in any way trying to steal anyone's thunder. For me it was a chance to do another ride with the great gals I met at TE and help prepare myself for Cool Breeze. I also just wanted everyone to be safe and happy. Nothing else. Sorry. That's it.

PS: Wayne is a nice guy. You really should not disparage him. Me? I'm the first to make fun of myself. But Wayne came out to support us and he was very kind to give up part of his day to assist with the ride. Also thanks go out to all that helped. I know Extort and Jchen and CJBruin and Cali's husband because they hung out back at times but thanks to everyone else who helped and I didn't know.
    I'm really not interested in participating in group rides with established bike clubs, but thank you for the recommendation.

The popularity contest comment was coming from your statement about ALLLL the pictures posted of Brandy and myself.

It was posted as a no drop and it was completed as a no drop. Although there wasn't one or two specific people designated as sweeps, there was always someone heading back down the hills to make sure everyone was ok.

I'm not disparaging Wayne. He did seem like a nice guy and I'm sure he is. Maybe I could've talked to him a bit if I didn't continue to get shoo'd. As I said in my previous post, I'm sure all of his assitance was greatly appreciated. It's great he came out for the ride, but you need to understand we didn't ask for him to "give up part of his day to support us". He was welcome whether he had plans to assist or not.
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Huh it was to let everyone know there were photos posted of you and Brandy and Cali and Audrey... etc all the folks from TE. People like to see photos. I know I do.

Most of the first photos are of you and Cali and Brandy. Somehow somewhere along the line someone took photos of the back of the group so they got my big fat rear and posted it on page 6. Thank you whoever that was! Much appreciated! Now please take it down?!?!
    You also start to see Audrey, Tracy and Judy about that time. That's all.

PS: I would bet had you rode back to speak with Wayne - who was back with Tracey and Judy and who else, he didnt ride with me much of the time, he wouldn't have shoo'd you away. He likes speaking with the ladies! One reason he likes to help (well that and he's good natured).
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Most of the first photos are of you and Cali and Brandy. Somehow somewhere along the line someone took photos of the back of the group so they got my big fat rear and posted it on page 6. Thank you whoever that was! Much appreciated! Now please take it down?!?!
    You also start to see Audrey, Tracy and Judy about that time. That's all.
    Hello, new poster here. I apologize for posting that photo in question. It has been removed.
    I also admit I took many, many more photos of people I already knew and neglected a few others I did not know. I will do my best to include everyone fairly in future rides.

Take care,
    roadfix

Quote Originally Posted by roadfix
    Hello, new poster here. I apologize for posting that photo in question. It has been removed.
    I also admit I took many, many more photos of people I already knew and neglected a few others I did not know. I will do my best to include everyone fairly in future rides.

Take care,
    roadfix
    can ya wait til I lose 10 more pounds please

Quote Originally Posted by roadfix

Take care,
    roadfix
    Thank you kindly. This old lady appreciates it very much!!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl