Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

OC July 30th ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Are we on for sure on the 30th? I'm trying to get all of my babysitting dates lined up so I can present them to Grandma all at once.

My family and I are going to be in the local mountains that weekend, but I think I'll plan to come down the night before to meet everyone for a ride in the morning.
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie
    My family and I are going to be in the local mountains that weekend, but I think I'll plan to come down the night before to meet everyone for a ride in the morning.
    You're going to drive down from Big Bear to ride??? Wow...that sounds like dedication in preparation for Cool Breeze...I guess you've made your decision.

Actually we'd be coming home on Sunday anyway, from Lake Gregory, so me leaving the night before won't be a big deal.

Aaaaaannnnddddd, even if I don't decide on Cool Breeze, I can still have dedication for other rides. Call it training in progress for a century I'm not signed up for yet.
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie
    [img]Aaaaaannnnddddd, even if I don't decide on Cool Breeze, I can still have dedication for other rides. Call it training in progress for a century I'm not signed up for yet.

I'm going to do my best to line up a sitter (DH golfs on Sundays) so I'll let you know! I'm hoping though....

Trac'

I would like to join you on the 30th!!
    Thanks Karen

Cool! Were we planning on riding a metric that day? I can't recall what we had decided on.

I'd love to do this sometime with the group. http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=2356 It's not quite a metric, but it has some climbing The first half is basically the route that Tiffanie and I did on Thursday and I altered it at the end to include the Shady Canyon path with that short but steep hill (though you can't see bike paths on there), Newport Coast and Spyglass, then looping back through Back Bay. It has a nice mix of trails and road riding and I'm sure that Pam could somehow tweak it so that we could take the Mt. to Sea Trail all the way up to Jamboree instead of cutting over in Irvine, but again, bike paths aren't shown on routeslip! That actually might cut a few miles off of the ride. I started the route in Newport only because it was nice to have a few miles on our legs before we hit the climbing on Jamboree and Santiago Canyon Road. Just a suggestion

A couple of suggestions...

We could do Brandy's ride although what I would like to do instead is start down at the sports park at Harvard and Walnut in order to get some warmup before hitting Jamboree/Santiago Canyon. If you all are in for hills, what we could do is add the Lemon Heights climbs (Tracy and Nina can fill you in) and then do Santiago Canyon and Newport Coast etc. This route would probably be a good 60+ miles with 4000'+ of climbing. ie very hilly. Also we could did this somewhat in reverse... leave from Tustin/Irvine, go down to Newport and then come back up the Aliso Creek trail to El Toro to Santiago Canyon, finish the Canyon and have the Jamboree downhill to end the ride.

Lastly, consider doing Santiago Canyon both ways...

Another option is do a ride from Irvine to Belmont Shores. It's about 65 miles.

I have another route that Jess did for me that starts with a Skyline climb (from the other side) does NC and then goes up to Huntington Beach and back.

I'm open to other options as well. Just let me know.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Pam, I thought about starting the ride closer to where you start your rides, but honestly after doing it on Thursday, Tiff and I needed that whole ride from Eastbluff up to our first hill at Jamboree to warm up. We both agreed that we wouldn't have been able to tackle that climbing had we started in Irvine...that's why I made the starting point at University/Jamboree (at the park with the bathroom so I can pee legally ) and not inland.

ETA: I loved the downhill taking Santiago from the direction that we did. It was nice to not have to be stopping at lights and it was so pretty!

If we don't do this on July 30th, I'm fine with it though. I just wanted to throw it out there as a suggestion.
    Last edited by Brandy; 07-09-2006 at 06:28 PM.

I have no problem starting the ride down at the park by Eastbluff. My only concern is travel for everyone else. For us OC gals, the drive or ride is not bad but for Tracy, and the LA gals, much farther for them to come.

Tracy (and LA gals) the Park is located at Jamboree and University (actually just off) to get there best route would be take the 261 toll rd to Jamboree and continue down to University, turn left then immediately right (I can do directions later). This would give us a good warm up before the ride if we are tackling Jamboree/Santiago Canyon first.

Brandy the other option is to do the route backwards. Start at Cedar Grove, go South to Alton or Muirlands then here's a suggestion - look it up and see what you think... my Club usually does Bake Parkway, to Portola to Glenn Ranch and then left onto El Toro or the Aliso Creek bike trail. Do Santiago Canyon from East to West and then finish down Jamboree. The only icky problem I see with this option is if the ride runs late we do the Canyon in the heat but at least we are done after.

Otherwise if everyone's OK with Brandy's ride, let's do it. Brandy you lead! I'll probably be way in
    the back once we hit Jamboree.
    Last edited by bcipam; 07-10-2006 at 08:56 AM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

any starting point is fine w/me. I won't know until last minute whether I can get childcare though

I totally want to do this ride so I'm going to start begging the neighbors! What time are we starting? IF I can get childcare, I will probably be able to leave no later than 6:45am from here....

T~

It's up to Brandy and everyone but would 8 work for you? I guess we can start as soon as everyone is there and ready.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I have a tentative "yes" on the childcare so I could be there by 8... I think I know pretty much where it is... I had to take 261/Jamboree down to the airport area for a course last month, so I'm thinking its similar to the starting point. I would plan on leaving at 6:45 so I'm sure I'll be on time

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the childcare will "hold" if ya know what I mean!!!

Trac'