Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    .... that's not what Tiffanie said....

hee hee hee
    Please don't take the word of someone who abandoned our Cool Breeze Century in favor of Tim McGraw's butt!

Somehow I feel I've missed out on something... you guys are too weird!

Trac... I have to say before each of my centuries I rode no farther than 50 miles, OK maybe a metric here and there, but generally 40 miles or less and I have never had any trouble finishing a century. OK some I was more tired than others but I did it. Mental is the key. But I have an advantage over you - I have done centuries so I know what it's all about. First time is tough. I almost like the way I did mine - I had only planned on doing 75 but forgot to turn off to cut the ride short and accidently did the full century. OK about 80 miles in I was in tears for a short period and when I hit 100 on my odometer I stopped and looked for the sag wagon but since one did not come, I kept riding and the last 8 miles (the ride distance was 108 miles) was not all that bad. After I finish I felt really good.

I have no idea how I'm going to physically do on this ride but I'm just going to ride. If I get out there half way and don't feel good, oh well, I sag or turn around. No worries. This heat is really cutting into my riding time but hopefully Cool Breeze will come through and will have that wonderful, cool, usually overcast weather to ride in. That's a motivator as well.

I'm hoping Brandy will have a route slip for this Sunday and scheduled stops and we each ride to her own ability and regroup at the stops. I can hang on downhills and flats but am very slow on hills, especially with heat.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

.... that's not what Tiffanie said....

hee hee hee
    Hey now don't be bringing me in to this cat fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Please don't take the word of someone who abandoned our Cool Breeze Century in favor of Tim McGraw's butt!
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Hey Tiff...

you ridin' Sunday?

T~

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Somehow I feel I've missed out on something... you guys are too weird!

Trac... I have to say before each of my centuries I rode no farther than 50 miles, OK maybe a metric here and there, but generally 40 miles or less and I have never had any trouble finishing a century. OK some I was more tired than others but I did it. Mental is the key. But I have an advantage over you - I have done centuries so I know what it's all about. First time is tough. I almost like the way I did mine - I had only planned on doing 75 but forgot to turn off to cut the ride short and accidently did the full century. OK about 80 miles in I was in tears for a short period and when I hit 100 on my odometer I stopped and looked for the sag wagon but since one did not come, I kept riding and the last 8 miles (the ride distance was 108 miles) was not all that bad. After I finish I felt really good.

I have no idea how I'm going to physically do on this ride but I'm just going to ride. If I get out there half way and don't feel good, oh well, I sag or turn around. No worries. This heat is really cutting into my riding time but hopefully Cool Breeze will come through and will have that wonderful, cool, usually overcast weather to ride in. That's a motivator as well.

I'm hoping Brandy will have a route slip for this Sunday and scheduled stops and we each ride to her own ability and regroup at the stops. I can hang on downhills and flats but am very slow on hills, especially with heat.
    Pam.... I am having a really hard time envisioning you broken down in tears .... somehow I have an easier time 'hearing' you say "suck it up and get going" Really, the only reason I will do anything other than the 100 is if there are other issues (heat/injury etc.).

Brandy???? Are ya gonna have a route slip????

T~

Hey Tiff...

you ridin' Sunday?

T~
    Yes I'll be there. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!
    ~~Tiffanie~~

It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Trac:

I don't usually resort to hysterics but on that ride 1) I did it all alone cause my "friends" were doing the century and took off and left me (btw I was never alone really - some 15,000 riders did this century so I met up with lots of folks along the way), 2) at 15 miles there is a large dirt river crossing (this was the Tour de Tucson) that you have to walk your bike across - I got sand in my SPeedplay cleats and couldn't ever engage the pedal the rest of the ride and it wasn't helped by the second dirt crossing at 50 miles. After 50 miles my feet were burning and at 80 the pain made me cry (plus the fact I was riding alone and didn't know the heck where i was - I just know it was in literally the middle of nowhere!). I got off my bike, took off my shoes and just pondered my fate for awhile. This family of riders came by, offered me some encouragement and rode with me for a spell. That help lift my spirit, 3) I never intended to ride a century, at 100 I figured there was no reason to keep riding but darn there are no sag wagons at Tour de Tucson (something to remember).

I'm sortof with you - my plan is to do the century but if its hot or I don't feel well the metrics a nice ride as well. I've got nothing to prove although if Wayne comes along he won't let me quit - he'd push me forward. Although the last time he was on a road bike was the ride we did in May. He might easily be talked into the metric!.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Brandy???? Are ya gonna have a route slip????

T~
    One better...we'll have routeslips and maps Should make it easier for people to bail out if need be

That sounds good but unfortunately no way to bail out of Santiago Canyon once you enter - just gotta keep going (or I guess you can turn arondnd). Once I get through the Canyon the rest is going to be a piece of cake (or at least I hope!).

Brandy when you have time could you post the start location. I need to send an email off to Connie and Wayne and some others to see if they are interested in joining.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    That sounds good but unfortunately no way to bail out of Santiago Canyon once you enter - just gotta keep going (or I guess you can turn arondnd). Once I get through the Canyon the rest is going to be a piece of cake (or at least I hope!).

Brandy when you have time could you post the start location. I need to send an email off to Connie and Wayne and some others to see if they are interested in joining.
    I realize that there's no way to bail out of Santiago Canyon and that's why I put it earlier in the ride. I figured that it people wanted to skip the hilly bike path and the Newport Coast climb after going through Santiago Canyon, that they could simply take the San Diego Creek Trail back to Bonita Creek Park.

We will be starting at the park you suggested...Bonita Creek Park.

Pam...please don't worry about being left behind. I'm not in a hurry on this ride, and I'm not a fast climber.

Call me a whimp, but does anyone know what the weather will be like. I don't do well in the humidty. thanks ladies

ACG, I just checked weather.com for Trabuco Cyn and it shows a high of 89 with 62% humidity for Sunday. Still hot but definitely not as hot as this last week or so!
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Author Unknown

Okay...Tiff and I are working on the routeslip right now...I've never made one before, so you'll have to be kind. We're doing our best!

After coming through Santiago Canyon Road we'll be stopping for food at the corner of Glenn Ranch and Portola Parkway in Foothill Ranch and there are several options, hopefully something for everyone...

Wahoo's
    Red Brick Pizza
    Memphis BBQ
    Blvd. Deli
    Starbucks

... just curious... what is the approximate mileage at the point where we come out of Santiago Canyon?

T~

... just curious... what is the approximate mileage at the point where we come out of Santiago Canyon?

T~
    It's at the 28-29 mile mark, IIRC.