Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

That sounds great Pam! Isn't there a sizable shopping center on Portola and Bake? That might make a good stopping point for refueling.

Lots of stops along Portola and Bake. Nicer roads. More bike friendly. WOuld give you and Tiff another way to go since you already did the ride.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Cool. We'll preview it in a couple of weeks then and I'll look for a cycling friendly (lots of outdoor seating) coffee/sandwich place to stop at...unless you already know of a good place?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Darn I don't know the name but once you turn from Portola onto Bake, the next light (Auto Center Way), turn right then left and there's a food court with a nice coffee shop. I'll try and get the name this weekend. There are also Starbucks and all sorts of fast food around on Portola. I do know there is also a Starbucks at Bake and Trabuco but wrong side of street and if we go down to Murilands (or Jeronimo) then is a Starbucks on the corner.

Also since you are mapping this route - look for this - on Santiago Canyon before you drop down to Cook's Corner there is this road - I think it's called Ridgeline or Ridge Route, turn right, it's a very short but steep climb, turn right again at the summit and then you drop over and down on Glenn Ranch.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Okay...we didn't get to scout the first half (santiago canyon portion) of the ride, but since we've already done it, we have an idea of what to expect. Pam...I do have a question about where the SD Creek Trail meets Mt. to Sea and goes north toward Tustin. I was unsure of where that splits off and the trail isn't signed going that way, maybe you could help us out on that part.

We did do the second half of the ride and found some bail out points for those who want to avoid Newport Coast altogether and then another bailout point for those who don't want to do the final 9 miles, which will be a loop of Back Bay. I still need to route it to get the total mileage and elevation gains, but this ride will be all about hills!!!

Brandy - so I know this is your ride... but I just had a thought while I was riding around the other day. From the park near Back Bay...

Take Eastbluff to Ford (x Jamboree) to San Miguel, to L at San Joaquin, R on Marguerite, L at 5th, R at Poppy, L at PCH. Take PCH to Newport Coast, up and over to Bonita Canyon turn R at Shady Hill to the Shady Hill Bike Trail up and over to R at Quail Hill, round about to Laguna Canyon North (away from the festival towards the hills). OK I have to confirm this in my Thompson Guide but either to Barranca or Jeronimo to Bake, up Bake to Bake Parkway, R at Portola, L at Glenn Ranch. Note at Glenn Ranch and Portola is a Starbucks and several delis. Good time and place to stop.

Up Glenn Ranch to El Toro, L at El Toro past Cook's Corner to Santiago Canyon Blvd. Take the Canyon to Jamboree. Turn L at Jamboree up and down to Portola, turn L. R onto the Peter's Canyon Bike Trail. Take that to it ends at Harvard (just before Irvine Center Drive). Take Harvard to Barranca get on the San Diego Creek Trail, go South back to Eastbluff/University and the PArk. Those that feel up to it can tour Back Bay to add mileage (although frankly - this is a long tough ride as is).

NOTE: If we go the other way, then a good stopping point is still at the bottom of Glenn Ranch at Portola. We would ride right across the street to the Starbuck's.

Note to all: Either route is very hilly. I'm not certain how I will do but there are lots of bail outs along the way. For me best to get Newport Coast out of the way early cause later in the day I could see me going around it instead. Regardless, I will definitely be sweeping the rear of the group!
    Last edited by bcipam; 07-20-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Pam...I do have a question about where the SD Creek Trail meets Mt. to Sea and goes north toward Tustin. I was unsure of where that splits off and the trail isn't signed going that way, maybe you could help us out on that part.

Take San Diego Creek to Harvard, exit Harvard go North to the Peter's Canyon Bike Trail. Take Peter's Canyon Bike trail to Portola, exit turn L. Take Portola to Jamboree, turn R and begin grinding up the hill.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Hi Girls,

I won't be able to make it on the 30th (I would just hold you guys back anyway). The real reason is that on Sundays I can't get loose until about 10:00 A.M. I am in charge of music at my church on Sunday mornings at 8:00 A.M. (play guitar, arrange the music, etc.). I can usually "escape' a couple of Sunday's a year, by planning well in advance, but I can't do it that weekend.

Still waiting to get my triple. There is a lot involved with making the change on my bike (different bottom bracket, crank arms, shifter lever, etc., not to menton the $$$'s). I still plan on the Cool Breeze Metric and will try to get in some hills around here. I just bought one of the Sharper Image cooler thingies they advertise on TV that you put around your neck like a collar. They work with water and a little cooler fan of some sort. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet but I'll try it tomorrow and let you all know how it works. The heat really kills me.

Nina

Thanks for the info on the Peter's Canyon Trail Pam...Tiff and I are planning to ride Santiago Canyon one more time before the 30th, so we'll take that route.

As far as the ride on the 30th, I'd like to continue with what I've planned. Tiff and I worked on scouting it out this morning, including driving around Newport to some areas we missed by taking Newport Coast all the way down to PCH, and I think we have a really good ride shaping up.

As far as Newport Coast being at the end of the ride, I did that intentionally so that those who want to skip extra climbing can bail out and take SD Creek Trail back to the park. I think that we have several options to make everyone happy!

Oh...and we climbed N.C. from the Bonita side today and in my opinion the Jamboree/Santiago Canyon climbing was more challenging and that's why I'd like to get that out of the way earlier in the day before it heats up too much and while we still have energy!
    Last edited by Brandy; 07-20-2006 at 02:42 PM.

Hey Brandy!

That route sounds PERFECT! I am totally looking forward to it; I'm dyin' to check out this whole Santiago Canyon thing..... be prepared to do lots of waiting!

Trac'

Santiago Canyon is really pretty. Although we experienced it about 6ish a.m. - can't say how much I'll like it at 9 or 10 with this heat!

We will see!!
    ~~Tiffanie~~

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
    It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells "CAN'T".
    But you don't listen. You just push harder.
    And then you hear the voice whisper "CAN".
    And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie
    Santiago Canyon is really pretty. Although we experienced it about 6ish a.m. - can't say how much I'll like it at 9 or 10 with this heat!

We will see!!
    Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't scare her!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy

Oh...and we climbed N.C. from the Bonita side today and in my opinion the Jamboree/Santiago Canyon climbing was more challenging and that's why I'd like to get that out of the way earlier in the day before it heats up too much and while we still have energy!
    NC from Bonita is very doable. I thought you wanted to do NC from PCH. That's more of a climb and personally I would want to do that first thing.

OK your route, can't wait! Just be kind. Even with my triple I'll be lagging behind!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    NC from Bonita is very doable. I thought you wanted to do NC from PCH. That's more of a climb and personally I would want to do that first thing.

OK your route, can't wait! Just be kind. Even with my triple I'll be lagging behind!
    Originally I wanted to come down Laguna Canyon Road and then climb from PCH, but as you said...all of the festival traffic would be a nightmare. We had to tweak the route a little bit, but it should be good!

Who is planning to come for sure? I'm thinking that this will be just a few miles shy of a metric century if you choose to loop Back Bay at the end of the ride.