Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wheels and Tires

To disable ads, please log-in.

I decided to start a new thread rather than tack this onto Hybrids and Distance.

I saw the pretty tires here on TE (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=13372) and now I covet something pretty. (I know, I know. I am not at all "girly" but somehow with my bike I find myself wanting to accessorize!) But they're too skinny for my wheels, I'm pretty sure. (I don't actually know how to do any of this.)

Okay, so this is what is on my bike:

700x38C - 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2

What does that mean?

The brand seems to be KENDA, and it has Alexrims DA 16.

So what does that tell me? And what do I need now? Spare tubes? Somebody mentioned Slime?

And does that mean that if I get slicks, they must be the above size? (I'm assuming?)

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Everything you'd possibly want to know about tire sizing.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Okay, so from reading and getting maybe more confused on that Sheldon Brown site, did I understand correctly that those pretty tires on the TE site are NOT a good choice for Pooks, because her current tire is 38 wide and those are 23 wide and that's just TOOOOOO much difference? How much change CAN she make?

Thanks for starting this one Pooks -- I'm going to be following it CAREFULLY!

Karen in Boise

And are there other resources for pretty tires? The sites I've looked at just have black, but I've seen colored sidewalls on some bikes.

Hi

Hopefully I can shed some light on this for ya

700x23 are sized for road bike rims, so I don't think those will work on your rims unfortunately.

The 700x23 is the size of your tire in centimeters (23cm is the width). I believe the other numbers are inches(?) Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

On my road bikes I have 700x25 on my commuter and 700x23 on my "faster" bike. You do have some range in what you can put on a rim, but only so much. Because you have wider rims (38cm) you'll need to get wider tires. You can probably drop a little bit in size, but I'm not sure what the narrowest tire is that will fit your rims. You can also go wider than 38cm. Your tubes are also bigger than tubes that would fit a 23cm tire.

So the long answer to your getting slicks question is yes, with a little bit of flexibility either bigger or smaller. But not as small as 23cm. Does that make sense (I hope)?

I put continental slicks on my mountain bike, and they work fine. They're still not as slick as a road tire, as in there's still some minor tread.

As for the slime, there's a debate in the cycling community if that stuff is effective. Every LBS person I know says to never buy it. But maybe it's more effective in the wider tires. So I personally don't use it.

Good luck
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Thanks!

Wheels seem to be several hundred dollars a pair, and up. It's hard for me to justify buying smaller wheels at those kinds of prices.

Or am I looking at the wrong sites?

Quote Originally Posted by pooks
    Thanks!

Wheels seem to be several hundred dollars a pair, and up. It's hard for me to justify buying smaller wheels at those kinds of prices.

Or am I looking at the wrong sites?

Pooks, I have a feeling they put the wide wheels we have on these hybrids/comfort bikes for a reason, so we're probably just as well off keeping them and getting the sort of slicks that fit them.

We can put away the money we save by not buying those fancy wheels for a bike that comes with skinny tires some day! Hmmm, I like that plan: gotta find a coffee can to stash in the back closet!

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by betagirl
    As for the slime, there's a debate in the cycling community if that stuff is effective. Every LBS person I know says to never buy it. But maybe it's more effective in the wider tires. So I personally don't use it.
    Most cyclists that I know aren't too thrilled with slime- gums up the valves, can spray everywhere, etc., but a guy we know who uses a wheelchair loves it and says he'll never go without again. I think that wheelchair wheels don't get as much air pressure as most road bike wheels - so maybe it does work better for wider / lower pressure tires? - plus he obviously doesn't go as fast as a bike so if there is a wobble in the wheel from the slime he wouldn't notice it.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

With most bikes you can go down to 28's on a hybrid with no problem. It makes an instant difference. I felt a little nervous at first - you can't just plow through gravel or over lawns with utter abandon, though basically I could do most rougher terrain (gravel or grass, not real off-road) but just had to be careful. Tires are a whole lot cheaper than wheels :-) And you can ask at your LBS... I have 25's on my 7500 FX (hybrid, but more like a road bike) for going fast.

Quote Originally Posted by pooks
    I saw the pretty tires here on TE (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=13372) and now I covet something pretty. (I know, I know. I am not at all "girly" but somehow with my bike I find myself wanting to accessorize!) But they're too skinny for my wheels, I'm pretty sure. (I don't actually know how to do any of this.)
    So, are these 'good' tires (for road a bike)?? I might like to add some color to my bike, too. I really don't know the difference between 'good' tires, especially when it come to the road bike.

Kerry

Let me begin by saying that I absolutely LOVE TE and this board.

OK, having said that, let me suggest that you begin building a good relationship with an LBS that can advise you on questions like this, in addition to the excellent advice and support that we all get here. A good LBS person can look at your bike and discuss your riding habits and plans with you in an up-close and personal way that can never happen with your online bike buddies.

And hey, those ARE some gorgeous looking tires! The ones with the golden-yellow stripe would look great along with the gold/tan pinstriping on my bike. Hmmm.....
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Bad JuJu
    Let me begin by saying that I absolutely LOVE TE and this board.

OK, having said that, let me suggest that you begin building a good relationship with an LBS that can advise you on questions like this, in addition to the excellent advice and support that we all get here. A good LBS person can look at your bike and discuss your riding habits and plans with you in an up-close and personal way that can never happen with your online bike buddies.
    I love TE, too.

Thanks for the info on getting advise from my local LBS, which I would. I'm just trying to get some of 'your' opinions. My DH is very knowledgeable on these things. I am the complete opposite though and very non-mechanical to boot! I know what components are good, especially on my mtn bike, but really don't know too much about tires. OK I don't know anything about tires.

Kerry

Well, I'm trying to develop a relationship with my LBS but to put it in perspective, when I asked about group rides or beginner rides or classes, I was told the only two rides they have are for competitive training. They're nice enough about answering questions and have sold me some things (with me asking questions the whole time trying to get their advice, while they seem very polite but not all that interested). They have tons of hybrids, mountain bikes, kid bikes, etc. But even when I bought a bike for a four-year-old last week, it was a matter of them pointing in the general direction and me going and choosing a color. I brought the four-year-old in later for a fitting to make sure the seat was right, and we were looking at fun accessories, and while they were friendly and polite, they simply weren't interested.

So rather than drag info out of them bit by bit, I'd like to learn a little ahead of time to make sure I'm asking the right questions.

I may end up going to REI where I've always had better service, but it's a pain in the neck to get to from where I live. Sigh.

I do like visiting the LBS, but while they're very helpful, and more than willing to answer my questions, I'm never sure that they're not just filling me with sales pitch: selling stuff is the whole reason to be in the retail business, after all.

If the sales person tells you this bike is good, this bike (which looks the same) is better (like $250 better) and you ask why, it helps to know what that vague answer means, when the guy says "it's the components." When asking "what's that mean" it helps to know what derailleurs are (I can spell it, at least!) and why one kind is better than another....

That's what makes this place a good place to stop on the way to my LBS!!!

(I'm still trying to talk DH into a pair of slicks for my bike!)

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by betagirl
    The 700x23 is the size of your tire in centimeters (23cm is the width).
    That's milimeters... (mm)