Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Upgrade on a simple Norco-gears and cogs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay--I just don't understand the math part of what I can intuitively understand when I try to climb a hill under full load. I have a humble Norco Monterey--and he sure needs an edge for those hills--as does my resected lung. So--what I need is more oomph for going uphill. Can someone give me a very simple explanation of what I will ask the mechanic to do--to change those cogs and such--to achieve the end result of easier hill rides? Thanx

Simply tell your mechanic you want more gears for climbing. She should be able to give you a number of options, depending on what you've got on your bike now.

Here are the two most common options. The second one is usually cheaper.

Add smaller chainrings in the front. If you've got a double, go to a compact or a triple. If you've got a road double, change to a mtn double. Any of these options might also mean changing your shifter, front derailleur, and/or bottom bracket.

Change to a cassette with a larger cog. Depending on how large you go, this might also mean changing your rear derailleur.

Advice much appreciated!