Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2 flats - now I'm out of tubes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went out to get my bike for my morning ride and noticed the front tire was flat. Wonder when that happened??? I change the tire (I've done this successfully before) and as soon as I start to pump it up I see a bulge. Before I can release the pressure it blows with a loud bang. Blew out along the seam about 8 inches from the valve. Argh! I then put in my last replacement tube. I make sure it's seated properly. I inflate it. All is well. I go inside to go to the bathroom before my ride and I come out - flat. This time there is a hole right above the valve. I ran my thumb around the inside of the tire the first time and felt nothing. Did I just have crappy tubes or am I doing something fundamentally wrong? The thing that is extra lousy about this is that I have no LBS closer than a 2 hour drive so now I have to order more tubes.

Any suggestions as to what type of tubes I should get?
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

You didn't mention the tubes you used...
    I have found that Performance Tubes will do that. I bought several on sale and each blew out, I no longer buy them. Since the defect was near the stem, it's also possible you damaged the tube during inflation, also their maybe a defect or blur on the rim. Make sure you check you rim and rim tape.

I like Specialized tubes, the ones packaged in talc. More expensive but worth it.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Don't know what kind you should get, but get lots! This is what I get usually, and they are on sale right now at Performance. These have the long stem.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=60740260

Tubes are what - $5 each (less on sale). You KNOW you will have flats. They are expendable. Your time is worth $20-30-40/hr. I have never bothered to patch a tube. Just change it and move on with your life. I usually buy 6 at a time, or more. I carry 2 spares in my seat pack (in baggies, dusted with talc to make them easier to handle and so they don't stick together") and though I have a patch kit for the dire emergency should I blow the last tube, I've never used it.

Not sure it's even worth it to shop around for different brands, "features" - they will all flat if you ride enough.
    Last edited by withm; 07-08-2006 at 05:44 AM.

Are you inflating the tube outside the tire? Is the bulge in the tube? The tire? I'm completely confused. Can you make a video?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I don't know about type. We use Specialized tubes because the LBS that is 1/4 mile from my office carries those. I haven't blown a tube up, but I have bent a valve to the point it wouldn't work. I use the long valves now and it is much easier.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

They were Performance tubes. I was very careful with the valve, but I had a fit getting the tires seated back on. I did blow up the tubes a little bit to get them on the rim, but then deflated them to put the tire on. Maybe it's a combination of lousy tubes and user error.

Sorry SK - no video. It would not have been a pretty sight.
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

I'm wondering if you are pinching the tube between the rim and your lever while getting the tire on. Can you put the tire on without levers? Once you know the tricks, it can be done (though I always use levers to get the tire off).

Also, cheap tubes can have variance wall thickness with weak spots in some places. I have the best luck with known brands like Specialized, Michelin, Salsa and Torelli. I always seems to find something wrong with cheap tubes - weak spots, goo in the valve stem, etc.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

SK - That's what I thought I might have done on the first one, but I didn't have a problem on the second one by the valve when putting the tire on. I do have to use levers to get it back on, just at the end. My first tire change went so well and it was even the rear tire. This should have been easy. I'll take your advice on the brands - thanks!

If you have a hole above your valve possibly when you took the pump off the tire it tore the tire away from the tube. This has happened to me in the past, so now when I take the tire off the valve, I'm careful not to pull the pump off too hard.

I've used Performance tubes and REI tubes and haven't had any problems with them.

Re bulge in tire- next time, before you pump the tire all the way up, take the wheel and rotate it in your hands and look for alignment of tire to wheel. Also go along the rim and check to make sure the tire is correctly seated on the rim.
    Nancy

It's also possible that, after you blew the tire off the rim the first time, the bead was damaged enough that it will keep blowing off. Was the 2nd time a blowout also? You might need a new tire at this point.

we buy the performance ones in bulk! they are usually cheaper like that... they work well.... and then there's always some on the shelf!

If you get a bulge in the tire when inflating the tube then you have pinched the tube with the tire. This usually happens near the valve stem. The tube pushes the tire away from the rim, thus the bulge. It will then eventually cause a flat. To resolve this, once you have the tube in and the tire seated, push in on the valve stem. This will make sure the tube is fully inside the tire. Then inflate the rest of the way.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin