Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Red face Um, knot in netherregions?

Hello all, been lurking for a while, and now I'm jumping in with one of the more embarassing questions I can imagine:

So, I got my shiny new road bike and made the mistake of trying the stock seat for about a week and a half. Lesson learned, and I now have a good woman's saddle. I'm happy with the new seat, and now ride comfortably, but I've still got this "knot", for lack of a better term in my netherregions. It's not a cyst (too deep), and it's not discolored. It's about the size of a cap of a 2-liter bottle and feels like a bruise when pressure is applied. I'd chalk it up to just a bruise except for the hard part.

Has anyone else had something like this? Any tips on helping it heal faster? Will it go away on its own? Please don't tell me that I need to stop riding until this is gone! I've just reentered the wonderful world of cycling after a 15 year hiatus (Gads, I'm old!) and don't want to quit now, however temporarily it is! Any help is appreciated!

You might look up bartholin's cyst (I believe that's that name) and see if that seems like it.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

No ideas... good on you for not lurking, Owl - shame your first post is about this...

i assume you have checked all the cyst/groin threads/posts here...

I suggest you get it checked by a health professional - perhaps a sports doctor...

good luck

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

If this persists, I would definitely see your gyn about it. It could be as simple as a saddle sore or could possibly be a bartholin's cyst as well. Unfortunately if it's the latter, you could get some major swelling in the area as well.
    A couple years ago, I had a sudden pain and swelling in the labial area and it was excrusiating. The swelling got to the point it was as if I had grown a testicle Not to scare you but generally with a bartholin's cyst, they lance it to drain the infection. When they saw my growth, they assumed that it was a bartholin's and tried to lance it, they couldn't get anything but blood from it. After several attempts and increased pain and swelling, they decided surgery was necessary to remove. In my case it ended up NOT being a simple bartholin's cyst, but a more RARE angiomyofibroblastoma tumour. It was removed and found to be benign, but any time I have a twinge of pain in the same area, I'm always nervous that I've had another tumour occur.
    Good luck and I hope it heals quickly and completely for you.
    Mary
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

I recently had one the size of a dime. Searching the forums here for "cyst" the recommendations suggested that I should apply hot-packs which I did, and also used the direct spray of the hand shower on it, as hot as I could stand it a couple times a day. It did go away slowly after about a week of this treatment. My internist saw it at the end when there was still a little harness to the bump, and said he thought it was a Bartholins cyst, and if it flared up again to go to gynecologist. It has since completely cleared up but I was off the bike for about a week with it. Hope this helps.

Thanks all for the replies. I still don't think it's necessarily a cyst as it's so deep under the skin and fatty tissue, and it seems like it's a little too far back to be a bartholin's cyst. (Perhaps I should have been a grown-up and mentioned that it's location is more like to the side of the perineum, about where the inner thigh meets the groin).

That said, I'll try the hot packs and see my doctor if it doesn't begin reducing in size and/or (heavens forbid!) worsens.

Thanks again!

I'll try to have my next post be something with a little more decorum.

My Dr. said that the Bart. cyst can occur anywhere along the duct from top of thigh to vaginal wall. Try the hot packs, many of us have had good luck with that route.