Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Firecrackers thrown by drivers!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know someone posted recently about having a firecracker thrown at them. Tonight DH and I were riding on a relatively quiet county road. A driver decided to amuse himself by throwing a blackcat in front of DH. Luckily his aim was poor and too short to hit DH. I was annoyed, pulled off the road and called the county sheriff. We didn't get the license plate, but we did get the address he pulled in at and a good description of the truck.

Surprisingly, the Sheriff's Deputy that called me actually sounded interested in doing something. In a semi-rural county I expected to hear "Probably just kids playing a prank." The Deputy said he would drive that way and try to locate the driver. After that his plan was to pull the guy over so they could get an identity. Nothing will come of it, I am sure. We did get the complaint on record, so if the guy does it again they will know it had been reported previously. This road is one the local cycling club is on or near most weekends, so I wouldn't be surprised if this guy tried it again.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Hey, Amanda:

I was on the receiving end of a string of firecrackers a couple of weeks ago. The police came out took a report and talked to the young men involved. I was instructed to visit the county attorney's office and file a compliant. I did just that and he is going to file wanton endangerment charges against the young man who threw the firecrackers at me. If you have a name I would suggest you speak with your CA and see if they can help you. Have you touched base with the police to see if they actually talked to homeowner? What did they have to say?

Good luck and keep us posted.

um... forgive my ignorance... but whats a blackcat, Aggie?

surely not a real black cat???

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Thankfully a BlackCat is not a black feline. It is a small firework that just pops. No sparks, just a pop. Animal abuse is a felony in our state, at least if some one did throw an animal it could mean jail time.

Before I ride that road again tonight or tomorrow I may try to get in touch with the county sheriff. Since I did not have a lot of information they were kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. They know we have a lot of cyclists in the area and took it pretty seriously. Unfortunately we just didn't have enough information.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Ah... relief that they weren't tossing cats about...

Def call the sheriff (how cool that you can call a sheriff) and put out the alert... maybe a car can happen to be doing a drive by while you are out on your ride?

Road no-sheriffs-in-this-country Raven

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".