Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: how slow am I?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenusik
    And I am not a racer by any means. And sometimes a have bad days. .
    hmmm... if you really can do what you say below, perhaps you should think about trying it.

If I cannot average (including hills) 18-20 mph - I know I am having a bad day. My normal spead to hold is 20 - 23 mph. I can hold 25 - 27 for a couple of miles when I push. My fasters spring on flats so far is 34 mph. Speed during climbs depends on the hill grade: from 8mph all the way to 17mph.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I realize that I will never be faster than some other riders who I know, but it does not mean that I will not push myself.
    Thanks again.
    I agree that pushing yourself is a great thing to do, but at the same time for a lot of people, just getting on the bike is pushing themselves. I lost 48 pounds before I'd even allow myself to walk into a LBS to look at bikes, because I was afraid of what others would think.

My first group ride I did an an average of 14.8 mph & was told by some of the 'A' group riders(who I kept up with for 1/2 way through the 40 mile ride) that I kicked arse for my first time out. I plan on increasing speed in the future, but right now my focus is more on distance, than on speed.

Just please remember that different people push themselves in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    Well then hon, I'm really slow to you.
    Seems like just about all of us are "slow".

As has been said, Lenusik, it might be best to try not to insult most people on this forum. Yes, this is a place for open discussion. However, we usually try to be supportive or at least consider how our statements affect others. There's nothing wrong with being direct and honest (I am that way myself), but there are nicer ways to do it without putting off everyone else. You did add a nice statement at the end, but that doesn't negate how you started.

I agree with Eden - you seem to have natural talent and might consider entering a race.
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

I live in one of the fittest counties in the nation, so when I see a very heavy person out jogging, my first thought is surprise, then my second thought is "Good for them, they are out trying to get some exercise and improve their quality of life".

Good for all of us, we are all out there riding (no matter the distance or speed), having fun and enjoying cycling for the exercise, the camaraderie , the scenery, etc.

Another thing I wanted to mention regarding averages on the computer, stop signs and traffic lights slow you down, but so can drinking (I'm no good at pedaling while reaching for my bottle and drinking), waiting for fellow riders who got caught at the light, slowing way down to find that coffee shop you looked up on google, the list goes on. When I ride home from work (20 mi.) I ride hard on the highway and into my town, but once I get into my neighborhood I slow way down to start cooling down, and to watch for children, squirrels, and cars pulling into the street who never look behind them first . Sometimes I'll note my average before I slow down and the difference between that and what my cyclometer says in my driveway can be really significant. Sometimes I'll focus on speed for shorter rides, but when I'm riding for distance I don't even care about speed. It all depends on what your goals are. And if your only goal is riding for fun then just try to have fun!

Good points Happy Anika. My average improved today moving off of the bike path and onto the road. Even with all of the stopping we had to do at stoplights, it doesn't compare to the slowing that you have to do on a beach path...especially this time of year! It seems that there are many factors that go into calculating average speed. I'm just happy to be out riding!

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    Interesting post.
    And Lenusik this was not meant to sound harsh - I would love to know some of your techniques, training, equipment, whatever, that help you achieve those kind of speeds.
    BTW One thing I would like to get going here is a once a week hammer ride for slower riders. I have talked to some of the guys about helping us out and teaching us the techniques. I believe it would help overall strength and conditioning. And I would WAY RATHER ride my bike outside even against the wind than do an indoor class of any type
    AND I still believe -
    I do not conisder anything to be harsh as long as it is true. If you want to know my technique, there is really nothing special about it. I eat right and ride frequently. The main thing is to periodically change what you do. One day, do a shorter ride: 20-25 miles and do sprint intevals. Another day do a long ride and maintain constant speed. As we learn here, this spead is different for everybody. Then devote your day to hill climbing. I strongly believe that it is better to ride with someone else who is faster and can motivate your by dropping you on the way. That's why I ride with my husband and with a group. I can already keep up with them on flats, but not on the hills yet.

I wanted to send a link to you with the results from Tour de Phoenix in April 2006 for 26 miles including a good 4 mile climb. http://www.pbaa.com/!ETP/p26m-06.htm
    This includes men and women, not professionals, but simple average riders. Those who beleive that they are a little better enter the 74 mile competition. Please check the average speed of the first 24 riders. This is a pretty standandard goal that an average rider may want to consider. This is not my opinion, just the stats. But again, what you do is your own personal choice and we all have our own motivations.
    I beleive that I am the only person who can discourage myself or put myself down. I've done that and I prefer to think differently. If I offended anyone, my appologies.

I do not conisder anything to be harsh as long as it is true.
    geez.... you have a LOT to learn about communcating! the truth CAN be harsh... there are nicer ways to put things... like in your post.. if you had left out the first 3 or 4 sentences... i don't think anyone would jump on you..

so if you ask your husband "honey, does this make me look fat?" and he tells you "it makes you look like a freaking cow" and it's the truth... you don't think that's harsh... compared to say... perhaps... "well..... i like this other outfit better" or even "it's not the most flattering outfit you've worn"....

it's all in communicating skills...

out of curiosity... is english your second language? perhaps there where the problem lies? maybe they are more blunt in the ukraine??? *shrugs*

Electric,

I will agree with the ladies who said that average speed involves many variables. I know it's hard not to compare yourself to other riders, but if you want to continue enjoy the sport you should only compare yourself to your own results. There are always someone faster than you, and at some point it will get too frustrating to not be able to catch that "rabbit". I think it takes some people less effort to improve their speed than others, and you might need a little more time, but if you put determination and chase it down with love for sport then you will get there. When I see someone in the street who is overweight but he/she is biking, running, etc it puts a smile on my face. Like someone said before, "pushing" is different for everybody. Experiment on different things: diet pre/post rides, different types of training, change of scenery and you might get better results. However, I must say that there are so many different women on this board, and everyone has their own opinion, and if they are asked they will voice it. Unfortunately, we don't see their facial expressions and emotions so it's hard to say if they meant their comment to be harsh or not. We are all in the same sport, some people willtry to encourage you and comment on your results, others feel that "encouraging" is not about only looking at a positive side of the story....
    In the end you are out riding, doing it, enjoying and wanting to improve and that's awsome in my book

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    out of curiosity... is english your second language? perhaps there where the problem lies? maybe they are more blunt in the ukraine??? *shrugs*
    Whatever you wish to think.
    Have fun everybody and keep enjoying this wonderful sport.

I may use the ignore function for the very first time.

El Tour of Phoenix is a timed event, not the every day ride the average rider is using for stats.

These avg speeds do not include warm up, cool down, or the normal traffic and physical obtacles that slow most of us in our ordinary rides.

Drafting of other riders is not prohibited so we must assume there is drafting.

Terrain - Phoenix is FLAT. I travel there several times a year. It is the same type terrain I ride on. FLAT. You cannot assume the speeds in your area are typical for other areas.

24 miles is very short distance compared to some rides (say 100 miles, 200k or 200 miles).

Where in that list does it show the riders' weight, fitness, skills, health conditions, wind resistance, etc.?

13.5 mph is pretty much right smack in the middle of a list that is all ages and both genders. There is not true peer comparison in this list.

Lenusik, I realize you are trying to provide encouragement but your lack of perception about the variables is really detrimental.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 07-05-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    ITerrain - Phoenix is FLAT. I travel there several times a year. It is the same type terrain I ride on. FLAT. You cannot assume the speeds in your area are typical for other areas.
    http://www.hlhap.com/azroadclimbs.html

Well said SK - on all accounts!
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

I personally don't see how this sort of reply : "out of curiosity... is english your second language? perhaps there where the problem lies? maybe they are more blunt in the ukraine??? *shrugs* " is better than anything that Linusik posted in her replies. I am not going to take anyone's side on this post because I think it's pointless to argue about this without having all the variables we mentioned before. But personally I don't think that the above comment was any better? - attack is the best deffense? and do we need to defend? Why make this post into something it was not meant to be...

i didn't mean to attack her... ... i was just trying to justify her bluntness... saying that perhaps what she really meant to say wasn't translating well? that perhaps there is a language barrier? thus the bluntness... harshness....
    Last edited by caligurl; 07-05-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshNewbie
    I personally don't see how this sort of reply : "out of curiosity... is english your second language? perhaps there where the problem lies? maybe they are more blunt in the ukraine??? *shrugs* " is better than anything that Linusik posted in her replies.
    Thank you. It is hard for people to agree with the reality. People don't think that I take any conditions into consideration. All I give is averages for anyone in any situation. But different things work for different people. As I said, there was no plan to offend any one. Thanks.