Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: how slow am I?

Hybrid View

how slow am I?

I was reading a post and the writer mentioned " at the slow speed of 13.4"

I thought "Oh Oh" my average speed is 13.5 and I thought I was doing OK

I ride about 100 miles per week with each ride being a minimum of 20 miles (have done up to 60 in a day this summer) Finished a 3 day tour with a total of 158 miles last week and you guessed it my average speed was 13.5

I am not a super strong rider but then again I am not a weakling either.

To make a longer story longer What I want to know is what are some of the averages out there and what kind of conditions are you riding in.

A typical ride for me here on the wide open prairie usually includes a minimum of a 10 mph wind. I ride a loop so am not getting a good tailwind benefit.

Closer to reality on the wind ( I always check weatherbug before I go) it is 14 - 20 mph

Also I always do at least one hill that is 1/2 - 1 mile long with about an 9% grade (we live in a valley) - I know that is an average killer I have yet to make it up faster than 7mph

The remainder of the various routes are rolling with the odd flat stretch

I have been working on my shifting and cadence and have found good improvement over last year.

I am not first in on the club ride (the Hammerheads are) but neither am I last
    Last week one of the Hammerers pulled me for 5 miles then I teamed up with a friend who was faster than me so I pushed hard to keep up - my average for 25 miles that night was 14.3 (wind of course was about 18mph) no big hills

Oh yeah, I am riding a specialized sequoia and using clipless pedals

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Your speed seems fine to me.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Just as one frame of reference, here is the ride classification system used by a local club to define their ride paces. And, by the way, I average about 14.3 on my 30-40 mile trail rides. We are neither the fastest nor the slowest. I can live with that while I keep working to get better.

Easy: Under 10 mph
    Leisurely: 10-12 mph
    Steady: 12-14 mph
    Moderate: 14-16 mph
    Brisk: 16-18 mph
    Strenuous: 18-21 mph
    Super Strenuous: 22+ mph

your speed is fine..I am much slower than you...

Depends on what you're going for. Are you planning to race at some point and want to get faster for that? Or would you just like to go faster so you can get to a particular destination faster? If not, who cares what your speed is if you're getting the fitness benefits you want and enjoying your rides?

My speed is slower than yours, though it's improving without my even trying, just because I'm riding more and improving my pedal stroke and aerobic capacity. I wouldn't mind being a little faster, but it's not really my goal. My goals are fitness and joy--if I'm not having a good time on the bike, something's wrong, regardless of speed. What I do measure are time, distance, and heart rate--those seem to be good indicators of fitness for me. But your goals might be different from mine.

Having said all that, 13.5 mph, esp. with the headwinds you mentioned, sounds pretty respectable to me.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

What the others said. I live in the Chicago area, so I understand the winds. Don't you love how they just shift on you? I've done rides in Iowa and Wisconsin, and by far the hardest part of riding in the open is the wind. That will certainly slow anyone down.

My average speed is faster than yours, but so what? I train to be fast, so I ride with clubs that hammer and sprint. I guess I just like to go fast. I'm not a racer, but I am competitive. On a flat ride, like my commute to school, I average about 20mph. On a hilly route, I average 15 if I'm lucky. If there's a good headwind, I drop to about 17-18mph on a flat route. On club rides we cruise at 22mph with sprints to 30mph. When I ride with my friend who's just getting into cycling, I go 11mph to stay with him. So I guess it all depends on what I'm doing. I think what's most important is that you're having fun. One thing I've noticed since going slower is I take time to see what's around me.

My $.02.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Quote Originally Posted by Bad JuJu
    My speed is slower than yours, though it's improving without my even trying, just because I'm riding more and improving my pedal stroke and aerobic capacity. I wouldn't mind being a little faster, but it's not really my goal. My goals are fitness and joy--if I'm not having a good time on the bike, something's wrong, regardless of speed.
    Having said all that, 13.5 mph, esp. with the headwinds you mentioned, sounds pretty respectable to me.
    I totally agree! I have only just increased my speed to 14.3, having been at 13.1 for the longest time (it seemed)! Our rides are usually on rolling hills (and some of them I am just barely able to keep the wheels turning) and sometimes very flat areas with lots of wind! Just work at riding with a steady cadence, and ride as often as you can and you will improve whether it's a goal or not!
    My SO and I do century rides, and the main reason I wanted to increase my speed is so that we wouldn't be riding into the night - long after all the others had finished!
    And if I'm not having fun, I'm not gonna be riding!
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike
    Just as one frame of reference, here is the ride classification system used by a local club to define their ride paces. And, by the way, I average about 14.3 on my 30-40 mile trail rides. We are neither the fastest nor the slowest. I can live with that while I keep working to get better.

Easy: Under 10 mph
    Leisurely: 10-12 mph
    Steady: 12-14 mph
    Moderate: 14-16 mph
    Brisk: 16-18 mph
    Strenuous: 18-21 mph
    Super Strenuous: 22+ mph
    I am with you on those fugures there. I seem to be a lot like you. Now going down hill I have managed 34 mph. So much fun.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

What does it matter how fast you go compared to rest of us.

Speed is relative.

It sounds like you can keep up with groups, and ride the distances you want. So, your speed is just fine.

For each person, how fast they want/need to go is different.

I average 15-16 mph on 20 mile to 80 mile rides. This pace can sometimes be slow as I get dropped by some groups. Whereas, it is just right for other groups I ride with.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

My perspective on the original post was a thought on how to get faster, if one wanted to. It also sounds like someone made an unfortunate remark about 13 mph being slow, which as everyone has pointed out, doesn't mean diddly.

But I'm definitely interested in going faster - when I'm out by myself, strictly for personal satisfaction (or maybe to try catching some of those groups who pass me). What I'm concentrating on is form, and noting my speed on sections of my ride that I repeat all the time. Like, "hey, weren't we doing X mph last week, and now we're up to X + 1." And from what I can tell, proper form involves moving your knees up and down, and not moving anything back and forth or side to side. If this can be accomplished, then all the effort goes into moving the bike forward. And someday I'm going to ride up a HILL - I promise. I'd like to be able to do this without hurting my back... so Form is an interesting topic to me. But this sort of stuff floats my boat, and doesn't mean a thing about anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by dachshund
    But I'm definitely interested in going faster.
    Amy, I just had to smile at the above quote next to the picture of a dachshund. Like I'm one to talk! I pictured a doxie working on form with those 3" legs.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Lise

Aren't you supposed to be asleep???
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Amy, I just had to smile at the above quote next to the picture of a dachshund. Like I'm one to talk! I pictured a doxie working on form with those 3" legs.
    That is funny! We're always saying to the dogs, "you have no legs!". Big chest, no legs. Spinning would take on a whole new look.... "Worf! Where are the cookies?"

Anyway dachshunds wouldn't get anywhere on a bike. Consider what walking is like.

Walking a dachshund:
    Sprint 15 feet.
    Stop.
    Sniff.
    Pee.
    Sniff.
    2 minutes later.
    Sprint 15 feet.
    Stop.
    Sniff.
    Pee.
    Repeat.