Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: how slow am I?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    I know, I was sitting here at the computer at 7:10 AM, with sweat running down my back. Sitting here! What's that about? I'm grateful today's not a "run" day on my training schedule.
    It was a run day on my schedule. And a long run - well, long for me, my weekly 5 mile. I ran it about 6 minutes slower than usual. I couldn't stop dripping the whole run. yyyeecccchhhhh.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    There's always going to be someone who's faster than you.
    There's always going to be someone who's slower than you.
    Sorry girls, but 13-15 mph sounds really slow to me. I was riding faster on the first days of my ride. And I am not a racer by any means. And sometimes a have bad days. But if you don't push yourself, you will not get faster. If I cannot average (including hills) 18-20 mph - I know I am having a bad day. My normal spead to hold is 20 - 23 mph. I can hold 25 - 27 for a couple of miles when I push. My fasters spring on flats so far is 34 mph. Speed during climbs depends on the hill grade: from 8mph all the way to 17mph.

But the quote is right: there is always someone faster or slower. Do whatever feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenusik
    Sorry girls, but 13-15 mph sounds really slow to me.
    well then i'm pretty damned slow.... cuz my average speeds are normally 14-15 at the end of a ride (that's on the computer... what it averages it out to.... my average speed for they year so far for all my rides: 13.6 mph (total elevation gain for the year so far: 201,316)

EVERYONE has their OWN personal average speed

i found you comment just a little harsh considering a lot of people on this board... including me... have already stated they ride in that range or slower

Then please read my last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl

i found you comment just a little harsh considering a lot of people on this board... including me... have already stated they ride in that range or slower
    I realize that it may have sounded harsh TO YOU. But I thought that the ladies on this board were asked for an opinion. I tend to share my opinion honestly. Again, I indicated that I ride faster than 13 mph. If it is that hard to take, then why having an open discussion board with freedom to share opinions. I am much slower than my husband and it only motivates me to work harder. I did not mean to upset you. I hope you read my last note saying that people should do what they feel is right for them. Then someone's "harsh" opinion wouldn't matter.

Eclectic AND Lenusik:

Here's my cut on this whole issue:

Sunday I did a ride that was 45.51 miles with 5500 feet elevation gain. My average speed for that ride was 11.2 mph. Lots of steep climbs and many steep hills to descend with nasty hairpin turns, traffic, and other slower cyclists to pass (if you could do so safely).

Yesterday I did a ride that was 63.68 miles with 3700 feet elevation gain. My average for that ride was 14.5 mph. The hills aren't as steep, and the descents are pretty straight which means "let er rip". In fact, on two of the descents (about 3+ miles each) I chased people down.

Out here in Northern CA and the Northwest we don't have the humidity and overbearing heat that some of you do elsewhere. We just have lots of hills. I would suggest that you find out the AVERAGE ELEVATION GAIN on your rides to give you a better idea of comparing mphs. Also, some days you'll be faster than others- how you feel, the weather, temps, etc all make a big difference.

The 2 days I give as examples had temps from 60- 85 degrees and nice SW winds to keep us cool. BIG DIFFERENCE! If it had been warmer, my speeds would have been slower.
    Nancy

I've got to say that comments like that make me personally feel really bad about my riding. I enjoy it and am trying to improve but I am not fast and I know that a lot of people are faster than I am; however, I would much rather have someone say 'great job' for my little improvements rather than make me feel badly because I didn't start out being faster than most.

So Lenusik, you clearly have a natural talent and that's fabulous; but I would rather hear encouraging rather than discouraging comments.... or maybe some tips if someone wanted to try something new.

Thanks,

Tracy

Nancy,

Thanks for the nice reply. I live in Phoenix and it is REALLy hot here. I just had to adjust to the heat. If I go early enough it is still around 88 - 90 F. Elevation here varies quite a bit. We have a lot of so-called rolly-pollies. If I get out in the afternoon when it is 110F outside, I am bonk in 5 miles and will not be able to go faster than 14 mph. But I don't want to take these days in consideration. I just want to work harder and go faster. I realize that I will never be faster than some other riders who I know, but it does not mean that I will not push myself.
    Thanks again.

Lenusik,

There is a difference between voicing an opinion and putting other people down. I know that sometimes the way things come across on the boards are not read in the tone in which they are written but I too felt your comments basically said that slower riders are losers. Giving an opinion can be done truthfully without being hurtful.

T~

What does it matter how fast you go compared to rest of us.

Speed is relative.

It sounds like you can keep up with groups, and ride the distances you want. So, your speed is just fine.

For each person, how fast they want/need to go is different.

I average 15-16 mph on 20 mile to 80 mile rides. This pace can sometimes be slow as I get dropped by some groups. Whereas, it is just right for other groups I ride with.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I think one can only comment about another's speed in only 2 cases: 1) a race in which they have the results of the racer's peers for comparison, and 2) if s/he knows firsthand the person's age, weight, bike type, general fitness, bike skills, terrain, distance, solo or pack, pavement quality, temperative, humidity, wind, heath issues and probably a multitide of other things - including the goal of that day's ride.

Look around you at your fellow riders (not forum members unless they also ride with you) if you wish to make a comparison. Then, go ride your ride.

Editing because I keep thinking of things that affect speed.

Also, be sure you compare door to door average speed, not "cruising speed"
    Last edited by SadieKate; 07-05-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    So Lenusik, you clearly have a natural talent and that's fabulous; but I would rather hear encouraging rather than discouraging comments.... or maybe some tips if someone wanted to try something new.
    Tracy
    Tracy, I do not have any natuarl talents. Those who do participate in races, etc. I did not mean to discourage anyone, and there is no harm in knowing that you can ride much faster. How can somoene get better if he/she believes that the limit has been reached? E.G. I don't want to play tennis with someone who I constantly beat, unless I am teaching this person. I want to be beaten and learn from it, get better! But, again, I cannot push anyone, this is not my role. People create thier own path. It does not matter to me how fast or slow people ride, as long as they ride. To me it all that matters.
    Last edited by Lenusik; 07-05-2006 at 09:58 AM.

L~

I am sure your initial post was not meant to be discouraging, just please remember that we on this end cannot see your expression nor "read" your intent into your post. And you must have some natural talent over there because clearly you are doing a great job with your cycling and are continuing to improve

T~

Sorry girls, but 13-15 mph sounds really slow to me..
    Well then hon, I'm really slow to you.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Sorry girls, but 13-15 mph sounds really slow to me. I was riding faster on the first days of my ride. And I am not a racer by any means. And sometimes a have bad days. But if you don't push yourself, you will not get faster. If I cannot average (including hills) 18-20 mph - I know I am having a bad day. My normal spead to hold is 20 - 23 mph. I can hold 25 - 27 for a couple of miles when I push. My fasters spring on flats so far is 34 mph. Speed during climbs depends on the hill grade: from 8mph all the way to 17mph.

But the quote is right: there is always someone faster or slower. Do whatever feels right.
    Interesting post.
    But not very encouraging, more guilt inducing even with the addendum at the end

BUT I have been processing, trying to put things back into perspective and thinking of the variables.

A. Age
    B. Any health concerns other than weight or physical fitness
    C. Type of bike
    D. Physical conditioning level going into the first ride
    E. Topography - hills are not all equal (grade and length)
    F. Weather conditions (7mph wind vs 15 or 20 mph wind)

I did a search on our local forum to see what the Tuesday night hammerheads were averaging. Their May 30 ride was an average speed of 18.5 over 31.27 miles. They ride in a very close pace line.
    Their June 21st ride was about 14 mph for the first 15 miles and 30 mph for the last 15, (They turned around - 25 mph wind that day)

Now I can’t belive these guys are all weenies, but according to Lenusik she could smoke them.

One of our better riders completed Ride the Rockies in CO a couple of weeks ago. As we were all WOWing and asking him about the climbs and types of riders on the tour he said there were all types of bikes and levels of riders, some rode all the climbs and some had to walk. The most interesting statement he made was “ We ride against the North Dakota wind, that is great training for mountain climbs”

A statement made by many cross country cyclists ( We are one of the main stops on the adventure cycling northern route) “I’ll take the Rockies any time over a prairie head wind - you know the climb is going to end and then it is downhill for awhile, wind never ends.

Another couple who went through last week said their toughest 20 miles to date was in North Dakota

Thanks for listening, things are back into perspective for awhile

And Lenusik this was not meant to sound harsh - I would love to know some of your techniques, training, equipment, whatever, that help you achieve those kind of speeds.

BTW One thing I would like to get going here is a once a week hammer ride for slower riders. I have talked to some of the guys about helping us out and teaching us the techniques. I believe it would help overall strength and conditioning. And I would WAY RATHER ride my bike outside even against the wind than do an indoor class of any type

AND I still believe -

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination