Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New Here- New Bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I am in Western NY state, and just started biking with the intent to get into mt biking. I am entering my first race, a dualthon, in Sept...YIKES I have been doing endurance horse racing (50 and 100 miles) and my horses are on sabatical, so I thought I would take up a new hobby. I have been giong along with an old beater bike, and took the big plunge tonight.

I bought a Gary Fisher Cobia. It is a 29er, and I think I love it!! It is so easy to fly on, and makes me feel powerful!! Crazy old middle age broad, eh??

I need a good name for him (yes, he is very manly). He is dark bluish purplish...

Hi Horse mom!
    I ride a bike because I can't afford a horse! No feed, no vet, no farrier, no stable.

I have a brother and niece who ride endurance in Idaho. He was riding one day and overheard a wannabe cowboy on a big ol' quarterhorse comment to some women about my brother's "queer" riding breeches and tiny Arab mare. My bro' mosied over and challenged him to a race- winner keeps the loser's horse. Cow-boy says race from here to where?, and my brother says "McCall and back" (about 50 miles through the mountains.) Cow-boy almost falls off his horse. Women laugh. Brother leaves with manhood intact.

Anyway, have tons of fun on the Fisher! I'm a crazy middle-aged broad myself.

Quote Originally Posted by horsemom
    I bought a Gary Fisher Cobia. It is a 29er, and I think I love it!! It is so easy to fly on, and makes me feel powerful!! Crazy old middle age broad, eh??
    Congratulations on your new mtb! Another middle-age broad just getting into mtb here! Just bought a Titus Racer X (used) off eBay and am so excited - gotta get it to the LBS for a tune-up first, but I am so ready to ride!!!

Since your bike is a Cobia and of the male persuasion, how about "Coby" for a name? Not real creative, but easy to say and suitably male.

I think I am going to name my new bike Artemis, hard to say but kinda cool for a bike to ride in the woods on:

From www.pantheon.org: Artemis is the goddess of the wilderness, the hunt and wild animals, and fertility (she became a goddess of fertility and childbirth mainly in cities). She was often depicted with the crescent of the moon above her forehead and was sometimes identified with Selene (goddess of the moon). Artemis was one of the Olympians and a virgin goddess. Her main vocation was to roam mountain forests and uncultivated land with her nymphs in attendance hunting for lions, panthers, hinds and stags.

Enjoy your new ride!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

>>>Her main vocation was to roam mountain forests and uncultivated land with her nymphs in attendance hunting for lions, panthers, hinds and stags.<<<

Emily-in-nc, I like your bike's name. You gotta love a woman who roams the forests with her nymphs in attendance!! What do you suppose a 'hind' is?

Fatbottomedgirl, I am leasing a horse from an endurance rider in Utah for the Tevis Cup 100 in CA in August. I was supposed to be taking my horse, but she has a slight injury and is turned out for a couple months. I too have had riders laugh at my a-rabs, but when they find out they do 50 to 100 miles in one day, they just think we are nuts!

Colby is a good name, but not quite 'it'!!!

Happy trails!
    Laura
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Hey Horsemom, welcome to the world of biking! I also came over from horses to biking (not endurance, though), and instantly came to love my MTB. (Although I think my MTB has thrown me off more than the horses, and that's saying something considering my last horse! No major injuries from my MTB though, which can't be said about the horses).

No ideas for names, but good luck with your duathlon. Feel free to go the the triathlon forum to ask any questions you have about duathlons and tris there, those girls, like the girls here, are great resources to use. I definately do!

Have fun!