Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

my first "event"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Earl and I signed up for the "Tour de Boise" today. The description calls it a race, says it's designed for beginners and open to all ages and skill levels -- the radio ads are saying any kind of bike, the pictures of past events include shots of kids in trailers, and there's one heckuva party afterward. I don't think it's a very serious race, as races go. I can tell you, we won't be winning it -- aside from that we WILL finish it!

As far as we can tell, looking at maps (he says it's a waste of gas to drive the route and see, but that helped us decide to make this weekend's group ride) it should be a mostly flat excursion. Probably two hours riding time, unless it's REALLY flat, which is likely to bring up our average speed by lots!

This means we're going to be surrounded by roadies again this weekend, which means that craving for a zippier bike is going to rear it's not-so-ugly head again!

Tater -- you're in the area, are you going to ride this one?

Karen in Boise

very cool! I love doing event rides... the social atmosphere is just FUN! Let us know how it went for you... and which road bike you decide you want most
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Think about how much stronger you're getting working harder on the bike you're riding :-) And have fun!

fun, yeah, I'm up for that!

I think, with a 1000 rider limit, there might be too much bike eye-candy to make an "I want list" (besides, I'm still novice enough that the pretty paint is what appeals to me most of all!) I'll probably want them all!

I'm pretty amazed at our audacity in signing up for this event -- first, that we've decided we "belong" at this sort of thing, second, that we can ride this far in one session. And then, even more unbelievable this evening: I've ridden 72 miles in the last four days!

Thanks ladies! I may even bring my camera!

Karen in Boise

Kano,
    From what I have heard, this is one is more of a stroll through Boise, rather than a race. Because it is so flat, everyone turns out on whatever bike they can pull out of the garage. The whole thing is quite a gas!
    I am going to miss this one due to being out of town for the weekend. I am, however, looking forward to a century ride in Meridian in August. They have a 30 mile option if you are interested.
    Have fun!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Tater -- please let me know how to get more information on the one in August! 30 miles at a time will probably be a walk in the park by then! DPITA will NOT talk me into the century though!

I pretty much figured that the Tour de Boise is more a fun event than a true race -- the dude on the flyer looks more like us than a racer!

Karen in Boise

Blue Cruise Wheels for Wellness, Meridian, ID

Here you go Kano. The website is www.bcidahofoundation.org. This is practically in my backyard, so I will most likely bike to the start. We will have to meet up if you and hubby decide to do it!

August 12, 2006 12:00 PM Pacific Time

Routes: Four courses will be set for many levels of fun including distances of 100, 50, 30 and 15 miles. Each supported route heads south and loops back. See our Web site for individual maps.

Helmets & Safety: An ANSI approved helmet designed for bicycle riding is required and a rearview mirror is recommended. The route is not chosen for its safety. No trailers or other child carriers allowed.

Be in Shape: All participants are reminded that they should not attempt the Blue Cruise Wheels for Wellness unless they are capable of riding the full mileage they have chosen. To enjoy the event, the ride should not be your first long bicycle ride of the season.

After-Ride Party: As riders finish their leg of the 2006 Blue Cruise Wheels for Wellness they will be welcomed to a picnic at the Blue Cross of Idaho (an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association) campus, 3000 E. Pine Avenue, Meridian, ID. Please join us from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for this fun after-ride party complete with live blues music. Each registered rider will be entered into a drawing for great prizes. Lunch tickets for non-riders are $5 each.

T-Shirts: As part of the entry fee, Blue Cruise Wheels for Wellness riders will receive the 2006 Blue Cruise Wheels for Wellness T-Shirt. Souvenir T-shirts will be available for purchase at the event.

6:00 a.m. Late Registration Begins
    7:00 a.m. Start of 100 Mile Route
    8:30 a.m. Start of 50 Mile Route
    9:30 a.m. Start of 30 Mile Route
    10:30 a.m. Start of 15 Mile Route
    Last edited by Tater; 07-06-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Thank you, Tater! I'll pass this information along -- I know we can do a thirty, maybe by mid-august, we'll be ready for fifty even!

And blues music at the after party -- that's sure incentive to do one or the other!

Karen in Boise

Oooh, good luck and have fun I'm looking to do my very first event as well in the next few weeks....i'm so nervous....but i'm just going to go and hope to have fun and enjoy the ride....HUGS

What fun!

Rode the Tour today, and it turned out to be any one of several lengths, depending on whose computer we looked at. My computer said it was 31.2 miles, and I rode it at an average of about 11.5mph. Sounds slow, but in spite of Tater's post describing the route as "flat" (and yes, people came out on all kinds of bikes -- one dog rode in a trailer, some kids rode in trailers, etc.) I found the hills. MUCH of the ride was more in the 14-18 mph range, but my speed dropped incredibly whenever I found an invisible hill. The visible ones were worse -- I felt good when I climbed them at 6mph! Earl grumbled a bit that I was slowing down, but I did NOT walk up any of them, and that was good enough for me! The last ten miles or so was a bit slower than the first twenty too -- nothing like getting tired to slow a girl down! It might also have been a little more up hill than on the way out --- we were on the same road for that stretch!

They had three groups -- fast, medium, and slow. We picked the slow group. I think we were pretty much in the middle of that "pack." Earl and I were VERY glad we had our own water when the water had run out before we got to the rest stop (which also had no bathrooms!) Water was hard to find at the post-ride party too -- must be those speedy folks get incredibly thirsty! Plenty of food though!

On the way back to the car -- which was about a half mile "ramble" -- we discovered that our next door neighbor was also on the ride!

EARL'S NAPPING ALREADY! And he thinks I got worn out! That's what he gets for riding on the big ring all the time!!!

Karen in Boise

Hills around Boise?? No way! Glad you had fun! I guess one gal's hill is another's speed bump!

Tater, they MUST have been hills -- people were walking their bikes up 'em! We did have one downhill that I was REALLY glad we weren't going to have to go up on the way back -- woulda killed me...

The invisible hills, though -- they sneak up on you. Those are the long, slow, gradual climbs...

I'll admit: I'm learning to do hills. We live at the top of one, and I can get from bottom to top -- in the granny gear, granted, but I get there!

This was a good ride for me, though -- I can move today! I think that's cuz sometimes, I get tempted, and succumb to the big ring, but I forced myself to stay in the middle range yesterday! I'm guessing that saved my bacon! (oh, wait, I'm riding to get rid of my bacon!)

(We're thinking about the 50 for the Blue Cruise)

Karen in Boise

Wow, they didn't send you guys up Bogus Basin road did they? I thought just rolling around Boise wouldn't be so bad, but it sounded like a bit more of a challenge. Yes, those long, slow gradual hills are such a leg burner!

Hey, cool! I may opt out of the century and do the fifty as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Wow, they didn't send you guys up Bogus Basin road did they? I thought just rolling around Boise wouldn't be so bad, but it sounded like a bit more of a challenge. Yes, those long, slow gradual hills are such a leg burner!

Hey, cool! I may opt out of the century and do the fifty as well.
    The down hill part that was fun was on the Horseshoe Bend/Hwy 55 portion of the ride. Up hills that had people walking -- at least the folks I saw walking were along the last bit of the trip. Hill Road was on both ends of the trip, same stretch, and it was a LOT easier to ride going out, and I don't think it was just cuz we were fresh! I'm pretty sure Hill Road sneaks up on its way into downtown!

I don't know what ever happened to the pair on the ANCIENT single speed tandem with the noisy chain and flat tires!

You'll probably be in a speedier group than we will be -- we're just not that fast! (Earl keeps yammering at me to go faster, but then he wants me to be able to go farther too. He's got to make a choice. I can go far, or I can go fast. I can't do both and walk the next day!)

Time for a ride! I'll finish reading the forum for today when it's dark and quiet in the house!

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Kano

You'll probably be in a speedier group than we will be -- we're just not that fast! (Earl keeps yammering at me to go faster, but then he wants me to be able to go farther too. He's got to make a choice. I can go far, or I can go fast. I can't do both and walk the next day!)
    Yeah, but if you go too fast, you can't see the sights! I've been known to stop and take pics along the way!

Sounds like you are coming along just fine in your stamina!