Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just "upgraded" my old bike from cages to clips...and the very first day I fell, in my own yard, lol...the next day I went ridign, and fell again..both times to the right. When I had my cages, i always left my left foot in and just took out my right, so my habit is to lean to the right when stopping or dismounting, but silly me can't unclip my right foot for the life of me, lol...anyway, i am getting it know after some embarassing moments, but i have found it is easier to unclip just one foot and then bring that foot to the ground when stopping or dismounting...
    I'm glad to hear you didn't hurt anything when you fell - that is always my big fear..i'm such a wimp when it comes to scrapes and bruises...
    HUGS

My first fall was in the parking lot of the bike store With the sales guy yelling "don't stop - don't sto--". Bang.

Now I know not to stop pedaling or I'll tip over. Har har.

I was determined to get the clipless newbie thing out of the way first thing. The only other time I fell was when I caught my foot swinging my leg to dismount. I lost my balance and was on my butt. There were cars going by, but I pretended no one saw me. There were no cyclists around. I decided my left leg isn't the one I should be balancing with. But this wasn't related to clipless issues, it was a Total Klutz thing on my part. (I open kitchen cabinets into my head, so it's undeniable.)

I went through two different types of SPD pedals and ended up liking the Speedplay X5s. I'm impressed with y'all who "got" the SPD pedals right away - I just couldn't. But I really like the cute little X5s.

My most embarrassing fall with clipless was at a rest stop of a metric century, of all times. Cyclists all around, of course. I was going for a personal best metric time so made it to the rest stop with the "B-paced" riders (per my club's designations, 16-18 mph average speed), which made it even more embarrassing for me since these were not newbie/casual cyclists, for the most part. I was in the parking lot getting going again after my eat/drink stop, and the back of the chamois pad of my shorts caught on the nose of my saddle, messing up my "mounting the bike routine", and down I went, sideways, without any warning. Several guys yelled over "Are you okay??" Yes, I was fine, no harm done...except to my pride.

We've all been there, done that at some time or another, and even experienced cyclists (as I was a that point) will occasionally take a tumble. Clipless are still well worth it for the advantages they offer. I ride Eggbeater Candy's on my mtb and love 'em. Have never been unable to clip out before I fall!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow