Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Really cool story

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since you all do Charity ride and stuff I thought you might like this story of my awesome bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-1000-Alpha-...QQcmdZViewItem

My sister thats 23 bought a road bike in febuary and started riding everyday, just to get in shape and she loved it and talked about doing some rides for charitys.
    Well a friend of my family has a little boy Ethan thats 3 now and has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and his mom did the Team in Training ride in tahoe last month. I read about her training for it and decided I was gonna get a bike and do it next year.
    So i got on my mom's ebay account and started asking questions to a bunch of different sellers about the bikes they had if they were small enough for me and stuff like that and told them what kind of ride I wanted it for. Well most of them were to big or WAY to expensive b/c all i had to spend on it was my birthday money and a little that I had left over from Christmas and stuff but this one guy wrote back and ask if my parents could call him please.

So they did and hes really really cool and he said he had decided he wanted to give me the bike and then also put Ethans website on his auction so more people would know about him and maybe want to help like he did. So now I have a GREAT bike and ride about 15 - 25 miles a day and LOVE it I have started my fundraising for next year with the money that I was gonna use on a bike but didn't have too. I'm not sure I'm old enough to raelly do Team in Training but I can still raise the money and go ride I think. Anyways thought u guys would like my story~ KT

Heres the link - http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-1000-Alpha-...QQcmdZViewItem

That is an amazing story! Please let us all know how you are doing. If you have any questions about bikes, riding, life in general there is a huge group here who would love to help.

welcome to TE or as we call it "heaven for women cyclists" We don't all do charity rides, or sometimes do sometimes don't. We range here from racers, commuters, touring, endurance cyclists, just putzing around, all kinds of bikes....sometimes all the above.

That's what makes this board great.

Thank you for riding! *\o/* *\o/* *\o/*

That's a sweet bike! Keep us posted about your rides, feel free to ask (and answer) questions. Lots of riders here on T.I.T. also so who knows....you may find a team and folks to train with.

Also whenever you're ready surf on over to the "getting to know you thread".
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-02-2006 at 09:08 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

That's great! I am a Team in Training coach, and I am pretty sure you have to be 16 (possibly 18) to do an event. I am not sure how old you are from your post. However, you should contact your local chapter and ask about it. Maybe one of your parents could do it and you could go along?

Enjoy your new bike!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

That is SO cool! I also sent the seller a note to say thank you for his generousity.

You are awesome! Enjoy your bike!!!

Tracy

ps. by the way, that is a beautiful bike!
    Last edited by tprevost; 07-02-2006 at 09:30 AM.

What a beautiful bike for a beautiful girl!

Now, you have to promise to tell us what rides you sign up to do. I'll bet more than a few of us might sponsor you!

Good luck, and if you have any questions, please let us know. We love to help!

Katie, YOU ROCK! Most 11 year olds can't imagine doing something so epic or thoughtful. Don't be discouraged. You'll find a way to do this ride. You'll be 12 next year, right? Most event and club insurance will cover individual riders 12 and up. I know a 9-year old who's done centuries with her dad on a tandem. You can do it!

This sight is GREAT!

Thanks guys! I emailed some people this weekend with the ride and TNT too see if I can make it work someone said there was some sort of waiver and then they thought it would be alright, hopefully they are right. If I can't do it throught TNT I'll just raise the money and put it in my sisters name and tag along on my own and ride. I picked up a flyer about the MS 150 today at a gas station has anyone ever done those rides??

Welcome to TE Katie...what a great story!!

You are awesome Katie

Way to go! There really should be more girls like you. I had such a blast in Tahoe last month that I'm doing it again as a mentor for TNT. I went from signing up in Febuary and saying "there is no freaking way I can raise $3900" to five minutes after doing Tahoe "I'm coming back here next year!"

Jeni

That is such a sweet story, Katie! Congrats on your bike. What a sweetie he was for giving it to you.

I've done one MS150 -- the Breakaway to the Beach ride in South Carolina. It was tons of fun! I'm training to do it again this September, 16 and 17th.

Best of luck to you!

bummer

I found out today FINALLY when someone emailed be back that the Tahoe ride is only ages 14 and up even if I could do TNT I still couldn't do the ride. I'm looking for other ones though. The local TNT only does that one ride but I have been looking it looks like there are some other rides that the national leval does also. But I'm not sure if i have to live in that area or what. Anyway if anyone knows please help me out!! I'll find some way do make it work I hope anyways. Thanks, KT

Thats a awesome story!! I hope you find something that works out for you.. It seems a shame to have the rarity of such a young person who wants to do something so huge and find so many obstacles. Be persistant, you'll find something!!