Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking to get a new bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone,

Great site I stumbled across while researching bikes! I'm a very casual rider looking to get a bike to ride along with my family and maybe even start using it for exercise on my own as well.

I'm looking at Trek Bikes...either a 4300WSD or a 7.2FX WSD. I know the 4300 is a mountain bike setup and the 7.2FX is a fitness bike and I understand the differences in gearing ratios, wheel/tire size, etc. What I was looking for is something that is comfortable (I think the WSD setups will go a long way towards that), has me sitting a bit more upright (again, WSD helps there) and is just plain fun to ride.

I'm also looking at Specialized for any WSD type rigs as my husband has a Specialized Rockhopper and really likes that bike.

Does anyone have personal experience with either of the Trek WSD bikes or a similar Specialized that can share their experiences and shed light on the matter for me? All help is very much appreciated!

I purchased a Trek 1500 WSD. I'm on the taller side (5'7") so some would argue a WSD isn't as necessary for me, but I'm long-legged and short-torso-ed, so that was the direction I wanted to go. Plus, my bike had to be pretty.

I love the bike...but I'm having lots of comfort issues. I had a bike fitting last week, but all my issues are seat-related, so I don't think it is anything wrong with the bike as much as it's tough to get acclimated to riding on a road bike? I was always super comfy on my hybrid. They keep telling me I need to get in more "saddle time" but darnit, I've got almost 300 miles in this year, that sounds like a lot to me!

I can't help with the WSD side of things due to being tall. However, I too have been shopping around. I've taken out a Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc a Trek 7.5FX and a Trek Pilot 1.2. They are all great bikes but the 7.5FX was my favorite. I currently have a mountain bike with slicks. I use my bike mainly to commute and for leisurely rides and my bike is fine for this, however I long for the speed and the lightness that these other bikes offer.

When I was just looking at bikes recently (before I bought my Bianchi Veloce) I test rode a Specialized Sirrus and also the Specialized Sequoia. They were both pretty nice bikes. I also tried out the Trek 7.5FX and the Trek Pilot 1.2 that the PP mentioned. The 7.5FX is really similar to the Sirrus, and the Pilot 1.2 is very much like the Sequoia. If you want to sit more upright you would probably prefer the Sirrus or 7.5FX, but the Sequoia and Pilot 1.2 are not too forward either, even though they have drop bars. You might want to ride something with drops, just to see what you think--personally, I find them more comfortable than flat bars, but your milage may vary.
    Last edited by WrensMom; 07-05-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks for the responses!!!

I went to my LBS today and they told me that the Specialized Sirrus was coming out with a WSD version for the new bikes coming out next month.

I'm 5'3" so I'm not as tall as you guys. I think the WSD will suit me fine, hard to tell until they get one for me in the frame size I need.

I had ordered a 7.2FX WSD but they told me the other day that they were out of stock. So now I need to wait for them to come in stock and maybe I'll check out the Sirrus WSD as well.

I want to sit more upright and comfort is my main issue. I'm not looking to log long miles in at this point, just something to tool around town in with my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny_Lite
    I went to my LBS today and they told me that the Specialized Sirrus was coming out with a WSD version for the new bikes coming out next month.

I'm 5'3" so I'm not as tall as you guys. I think the WSD will suit me fine, hard to tell until they get one for me in the frame size I need.

I had ordered a 7.2FX WSD but they told me the other day that they were out of stock. So now I need to wait for them to come in stock and maybe I'll check out the Sirrus WSD as well.

I want to sit more upright and comfort is my main issue. I'm not looking to log long miles in at this point, just something to tool around town in with my family.
    Hey JEnny, I'm only 1/2" taller than you. I ride with a bunch of people who are 50 and up. they all have very fancy road bikes, but they are all tending towards the more upright position.. if you're not comfortable on your bike, why ride?
    good luck, keep us posted.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

7.2fx

I'm 5'4" and have the Trek 7.2 fx WSD 15". (short arms, long legs) I really like the fit and love the bike. It's perfect for commuting, or I take the panniers off and just head down the road for a ride. It's interesting that you can't seem to get one now. I ordered mine in September, was told they would start having them in by the first of Oct, and by the end of Oct, I was really getting impatient! I think it was the last week of Oct or first week of Nov when it finally came in, a few weeks after it was promised! Seems like they would do a little better on stock, time-frames, etc.

Have fun with whatever you decide. I'm really glad I waited for my Trek, though.

It took a few hundred miles for me to realize that after 30 miles or so I would *always* get cranky. I went back to hybridville. I have a 7500 FX that goes as fast as I need it to (probably exactly one titch slower than I could do on a road bike).
    Maybe another year's worth of yoga will do wahtever my core muscles need ... I suspect that is the root of the problem. Something about what I have to do to hold myself at that road bike angle makes me feel out of balance, which makes me cranky.