Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Stranded or strandee

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have come across many lone female riders lately who had mechanicals that were easily preventable or repairable. There seems to be an influx of people buying "mountain bikes" at discount centers or yard sales who have no clue what mountain biking entails. I'm curious if anyone else who rides popular trails is noticing this trend of single women riding ill-prepared. I have talked to a local shop about their hosting a women's basic bike maintenance class. Any other suggestions?

Unhappy "mountain bikes"

I haven't noticed lone women getting stranded in my area, thank goodness. However, have you ever noticed the fine print on the label on a department store "mountain bike"? Says something to the effect that the bike is only intended for use on smooth pavement and not meant to be jumped, i.e. it only looks like a mountain bike and if you try to use it as if it was a mountain bike, the manufacturer has absolved itself of all responsibility with the fine print that nobody reads. The other day I happened to walk past a beefy-looking "mountain bike" while going into the local jumbo-mart and I glanced down at it and there was an actual hole in the welding that held the fork together. It hadn't been welded properly and would probably fail catastrophically shortly after purchase, especially if somebody didn't read the fine print and took it out on a mountain bike trail!

unfortunately...

i think there are A LOT of people who don't understand what mtb is all about, buy the first "great deal" on a questionable full suspension bike they find...i saw one guy at Canadian Tire here in ottawa, he sat on a 200$ full suspension bike, the whole thing SANK (ie compressed suspension both front and back completely) he asked hte sales guy if the bike was ok, and sales guy said YES. ugh! i never got a chance to warn him...

Thumbs down bicycle "quality"

I read somewhere recently (unfortunately I forgot where) that the typical bicycle is ridden some ridiculously low number of miles (I think it was about 100) total between showroom floor and landfill. The article went on to state that the product managers for department store bikes know this and they design their bikes accordingly to that very low standard, using the poorest, cheapest quality materials. Just good enough to get the product out the store door, no more.

Re: Stranded or strandee

Originally posted by Lwac
    I have come across many lone female riders lately who had mechanicals that were easily preventable or repairable. There seems to be an influx of people buying "mountain bikes" at discount centers or yard sales who have no clue what mountain biking entails. I'm curious if anyone else who rides popular trails is noticing this trend of single women riding ill-prepared. I have talked to a local shop about their hosting a women's basic bike maintenance class. Any other suggestions?
    I've seen ladders with better instructioons than MTBs