Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ride Report from the Road

To disable ads, please log-in.

Cindy and I are in Annapolis Royal at a lovely B&B.

Thursday we rode from our campground to the ferry to catch the CAT to Yarmouth NS. The ramp leading up to the ferry is slippery metal - very entertaining in bike shoes and hauling a trailer. No mishaps though, either getting on or getting off.

The food on the CAT is terrible. I wasn't feeling great, so I napped most of the way across. It was foggy and kind of rough. Getting out of Yarmouth was pretty easy. The GPS does come in handy. Didn't take too many pictures since it was wet.

Our first night was at a campground in Church Point, lovely people, nice campsite.

Friday we rode from Church Point to Annapolis Royal with a stop in Digby for lunch. At breakfast we talked with a man who invited us out to see a 36 foot sailboat being built by one man. It's a little more intricate than just a sailboat. Hopefully, I'll have some good pictures to show you later.

We spent about an hour looking at the boat. Then continued on to Digby. At some point the skies opened up and we got totally drenched. I'm glad wool and capilene still insulate when wet.

After lunch in Digby, we headed out to Bear River, where the sun come out. The climb out of Bear River was... a bear! I would guess a quarter of a mile and a 12% grade. Easy... usually. But it was my day with the tent! I would guess the trailer weighs about 60 pounds all up. If my cadence was 30 at the top, I'd be surprised. The innkeepers told us a lot of riders don't make it to the top.

Then the GPS routed us onto a dirt road. Good thing I mountain bike. It was kind of fun, but a little slippery so we opted to get on the highway to get to Annapolis Royal. It wasn't too bad, but the speed limit is 100 KPH, so it was a little hairaising. We did have a shoulder and we got some waves and toots from oncoming traffic.

Today we're heading to Keiji, a national park in the interior. I hope Cindy survives the mosquitos. They really like her.

Time for breakfast.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

V, great to hear from you! Sorry to hear the skeeters are so fond of Cindy. I've taken that ferry from NS to Maine--you're right, the food was lousy, and the ramp slippery. Sound like you're having an overall excellent adventure. Keep posting whenever you can! L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Thanks for update--I love reading about your adventure.

I took that ferry to Yarmouth, too, but it was about 25 years ago, so may even be a different boat by now. Don't even remember the food, but I do remember seeing a couple of whales during the crossing.

Will you be going to the park where they have the statue of Evangeline? Local legend says the statue sometimes weeps. Let us know if you catch that.

Have fun and be safe!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Hi V and Cindy Sue-- How wonderful you can give us reports along the way. Hopefully you will have some clear skies as you head inward.

Looking forward to pics!

Have a great time and we'll see you when you all get back!
    xxxxxooooo!!!!
    Nancy

Wow - you bring back memories for me. The first bike tour that I ever did was with my mom along the coast of Nova Scotia. I must have only been 10 or 12. I can't wait to see your photos.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Sounds like a fabulous trip! Keep us posted! Looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks for giving us an update! I've been wondering how it was going. The pics from early on looked cold and rainy. Good luck with the squitters and have a blast! Can't wait to see the pics!
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

Talking Nova Scotia

Ahhhh your reports bring back alot of memories!! I have been there several times, and will be there again in August. Each time there is something new to see, new people to talk with, and of course new adventures! I do however, remember the hill at Bear River... and "YES" it's quite the challenge!
    Did youhave time while in Annapolis Royale to see the floral garedns?

Have a fun and safe triP!!

I wish you could send pictures! If anyone could climb the Bear, you could!!

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

hey from cindysue

Back in Annapolis Royal after two days as Kejimkujik National Park (keji). It was stunning and we had a spot right on the lake. The wind was kicking which kept the mosquitos at bay. Well mostly. They took refuge in the bathroom. Try peeing with mosquitos swarming around your.....

Went canoeing on the river in keji. It was really lovely and my first time canoeing. V did a great job taking the stern - or captain of the canoe as I like to call her. We stayed on the river since the wind was too bad on the lake and V would have killed me if I tipped the boat

It's nice to be indoors and enjoying a hot shower and a comfy bed.

I think it's about time for dinner.....

until next time. Thanks for all the kind words and memories from the past.
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix