Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking I finally got a bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been searching for a bike for over a month. 2 weeks ago, I finally made a decision and ordered a Trek 7.2FX WSD, and put a downpayment on it. I called yesterday to check if it was in, and it turned out, after they had to call Trek to see where it was, that model is sold out for the year. 2007s will be in in a month. I said, no, that's too long to wait, I'll come down and see what you have. I told the fellow, I'm fat and I want to get fit!
    So I went down, got out the catalogs and went thru them--all set to make him call Trek on each and every one to see what was available. The other one I had liked, the Trek 4500WSD was out till the 2007s came available in August. OK, so that was longer yet! I roamed around the store, looking at the different bikes--so many road bikes seem to be made for such tall people with long arms! Not that I was looking for a road bike, but it's been an observation of mine.
    I looked up and saw a Raleigh Passage 4.5. White. Ladies. Not quite as doofy looking as it had seemed in the catalog. And the price was right. I took it out for a spin, and it felt right. I bought it, along with a helmet, u-bolt, bell, and 5 function computer. I really want to know how fast and how far I am going.
    Sad to say, I could not ride it, as I had to go home and go to sleep so I could work graveyard shift (my usual). Then at 9:30, staffing called and said they needed to low-census me----not enough patients in the hospital, I guess! But it's the holiday weekend. I'll take it out in the morning!
    Susan
    What's the point of being an adult if you can't be childish sometimes?
    Doctor Who (Tom Baker version)

Congratulations! Have loads of fun on your new machine.

Yeah! Enjoy your new bike! Glad you got the helmet and other accessories too!

New bikes are such fun....

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Woo-hoo! Let us know how your first ride with your new best friend goes!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Congratulations on your new bike!
    "The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture beyond them into the impossible." ~Arthur C. Clarke

residentgeek.livejournal.com

and other!

away for a few days and everyone is getting new bikes!

congrats and enjoy - now all i want to know is where is mine?

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Congrats on the new bike! I hope you get to ride very soon!! Ride like the WIND!! You're health will thank you for it!
    Mary
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

Red face I fell!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad JuJu
    Woo-hoo! Let us know how your first ride with your new best friend goes!
    I could not take it out Saturday morning as planned, so when I took it out Sunday morning after work. It was great! I wasn't going fast, just 8-10mph. I didn't go too far, had hoped I'd be able to to ride for half an hour. I decided not to push it too much, and headed home. On the way home, I got what I think was muscle fatigue--rubber legs. I should have got off then and walked home. No, I made it to my driveway, put my foot down to dismount, and kept going down! Hit my left upper arm on the brick border of the flower bed. I have a huge bruise as a souvenir. I'm almost glad I'm fat--I truly believe had I been smaller, I would have broken the humerus and THAT, despite the name of the bone, would not have been funny. I only went .74 miles, according to the computer. So I am horribly out of shape.
    I've been finding excuses not to get back on, which is silly. I'm getting on and just going round the block today. I'm going to go round the block 1-3 times per day, and build myself up, that's all there is to it. If I am that out of shape, then I need to start with baby steps. I'll work up to going around 2 blocks, then 3 and so forth. This whole thing is doable, I know it is. And I did spend all that money to have that Raleigh just sit in the livingroom looking highly attractive.
    I told my mother I fell. Her response: Did you scratch up your bike?
    Well, you know, it's always a shame if the new rig gets creased the first time out, car, bike or what have you.
    Anyway, I'm fine, so is the bike.
    Think I'll go change and go for a spin.
    Susan
    What's the point of being an adult if you can't be childish sometimes?
    Doctor Who (Tom Baker version)

I just did a websearch and found your bike -- I love it. It's really great-looking! Congrats!

Yes, you really should get back on the bike! I've fallen twice and the second time had some really bad bruising, so I know how you feel! (I'm also a new rider.)

But you can do it -- just take it easy and have fun!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Yep, gotta get back on the horse...er, bike.

Are you generally staying well-hydrated? I've found that not drinking enough water can cause that rubbery feeling in my legs. Of course you're not going for long, long rides yet, but it may be that you're just not drinking enough water in general. Anyway, it's something to consider. As Pooks said, go easy and most of all, have a good time!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Yes, you definitely have to dust yourself off and get back on. Just think - the average rider crashes every 4000+ miles, so you should have many more miles of beautiful riding before you have to kiss the dirt again

I actually had something similar happen the first time I went riding. It was just a half-mile loop, but at the very end it had this killer hill (well, it looked killer to me at the time). I didn't know anything about gearing at that point, so I just rode up it in whatever gear I was in. Made it to the top but barely. My house was only a block away. Got the bike up into the yard, went to go up the stairs, and DP had to catch me from falling. My legs just totally gave out. It was less than graceful

Don't worry. After just a few weeks (and figuring out the gears) I was doing 2 miles without any problem, and I just did an 8 miler yesterday without killing myself. Just go at your own pace, ride as much as you can, and everything will get better.
    "The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture beyond them into the impossible." ~Arthur C. Clarke

residentgeek.livejournal.com