Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Longest ride so far!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I rode 23 miles, climbed some UNBELIEVABLE hills.......coasted downhill at 35 miles an hour a few times! and still managed to maintain 12.5 mph!

Believe it or not.........that was a milestone for me! I did my 1st group ride. I would highly reccommend anyone who hasn't joined a group.......do so! You will go faster and get better quicker! They know so much........they'll help you get stronger.

I have found out that I am a strong sprinter. I am just not a great climber...........yet!

Have a great Sunday!

Kim

Re: Longest ride so far!

I have found out that I am a strong sprinter. I am just not a great climber...........yet!

Kim [/B]
    ..........yet! That's the spirit. Keep riding and hills get shorter. Well, they don't really get shorter, they just don't take so long to climb because you ride them faster. So you work hard for less time........ I think of hills as a good thing, something I will conquer and not be conquered by. You earn the fun downhills my climbing the big uphills.

Congrats on your first group ride. Its great to make new friends thru cycling. As a group, most cyclists are pretty friendly people.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Hi Everyone! This is my first post, I had planned on lurking for a bit longer before I registered, but I saw ksbell's post, and decided to say something because MY longest ride has the EXACT same stats are her longest ride! EXACTLY!!! Makes me feel good that there are people here at the same level as I am.

Random stuff, I started mt biking in April of 02 with my b/f (now fiance) and enjoyed it. BUT then I got a road bike this past September and fell in LOVE!!! I live in a city with lots of good pavement around, its totally convenient and fun. And after just a few months of riding I decided to upgrade my circa 70s nishiki touring bike to a 2001 Specialized Allez Sport, which just arrived in the mail yesterday!!!!! I've only taken it around the block so far but I'm really excited to get out and beat the 23 mile ride.

Hi atombessy (or do you just prefer bessy?)

Welcome to the group! And congrats on your milestone and on your new bike. May you two have many happy miles together

- Jo.

Old Nishikis are cool, too. My husband has one that he converted to a fixed gear.
    Last edited by jobob; 01-08-2004 at 07:04 AM.

Thumbs up

Way to go kim.
    Keep it up and you will be ready for 100 in no time.

Hey, guys! I can't tell you how exciting that was to ride my 1st long distance! Honestly, I've never ridden farther than that yet, but this Spring I will be ready to do so!

Atombessy: I am right there with you! I am still trying to build up endurance and work on proper technique with my pedal stroke-- no bad habits! I want to eventually race, but at my age (37) I don't know if I'll do so very long! If I finish a race, I'll be very pleased!

I can't wait to do a century or something like that. You guys are great motivators!

Kim in TN

way to go! When I started riding last year I did a ten mile ride and was positive that I was going to die...LOL

my longest ride now is 53 miles... I did the Rosarito to Ensanada bike ride in Mexico... what a blast....12,000 riders of all levels... I maintained 13mph avg but wasn't pushing real hard and there are 3 climbs... the biggest is "El Tigre" that is 3 miles at 7.5%... then 2 after that. I was very proud of myself for riding the whole thing... a LOT of people walked every hill and some walked the last few miles in...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".