Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping Score

To disable ads, please log-in.

thanks tater and grog. i'll check them out.

by the way, tater - your little saying about head winds and tail winds got me through a tough head wind the other day! thanks!
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I like the Green Miles concept. Most of my 1200 miles this year so far are from commuting 28 miles RT. I really enjoy commuting--it is not a chore at all. I am very fortunate to have an employer who provides a shower and an indoor bike rack.

I need to boost my weekend ride miles that are not commuting. The only thing that keeps me from riding more on the weekends is that I usually have to DRIVE to get to the ride start...and I don't like that setup! I'll have to find some locals to ride with.

Maybe we ought to figure out a way to log Team Estrogen green miles and see how much good we're doing the planet as a group effort?

Would we set something like that up here, or is there a way to add it to our bikejournal stats?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I log my miles, ave. speed, etc. . on bikejournal, and also keep a hard copy of my miles on my desk. I have a revised goal of 3,500 miles for the year (I started with 2000, but when it was clear that I was going to reach that by July or so I revised it.) I have over 1800 right now. I want to work on my average speed too as it varies quite a bit.

I note my weekly miles in my weight lifting log every Sunday or Monday. That way, if I'm having trouble with the weights, I can look back & say, "No kidding dummy - you road 135 miles last week!!"
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

This might be slightly OT for this thread, but it definitely falls under the Keeping Score title.

So...while riding, is it considered cheating to stop the clock, in a sense, when stopped at long traffic lights? I think avg speed is really important when tracking my prorgress and I don't think it's fairly relfected if I just let my computer run while I'm stopped for longer periods while waiting for traffic lights.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Emily
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

Quote Originally Posted by CycleChic06
    So...while riding, is it considered cheating to stop the clock, in a sense, when stopped at long traffic lights? I think avg speed is really important when tracking my prorgress and I don't think it's fairly relfected if I just let my computer run while I'm stopped for longer periods while waiting for traffic lights.
    Many bike computers have an automatic start/stop feature. I've never had anything else. It stops counting time when your wheel stops turning. So I would guess that it is a "fair" thing to stop the clock whenever you are stopped!

If my average speed included all the stops I make to look at the ocean or talk with a deer having lunch by the road, I would get quite depressed at my slowness!!

Green Miles

Pooks- I think Slantz over on the BJ would love this idea! I'll bet he could figure out a way for us to do it.

We'd have to have another category in our own ride journals so we could separate out green from just riding!

Why don't you start a thread on the BJ and see what kind of response you get???? (I trust you know how to do this!)
    Nancy

Thanks for the suggestion, BG!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”