Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    I'll be 48 in November.

60's- My first TV memory is President Kennedy's funeral. Because I liked the horses. Too young to be scared of missiles. Too young to appreciate the Beatles or Elvis. It was more like The Monkeys and Bobby Sherman!

Nanci
    Oh, yes, Nanci, I can relate! I'll be 48 (oh my gawd!) in February, so we were watching the same things on TV at the same time.

KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina
    I remeber having 3 channels too. Also, having to state your phone number as
    CI(circle)3-xxxx
    OR(orange) 6-6570!! how do i remember this? that was in 1957!!!

we had more channels though, 10 miles from manhattan! 2,4,5,7, 9, 11 & 13!!

Can you blame me?
    http://www.bobbysherman.com/

With all love to Donny and David, but oh....those eyes!

We had 4 channels, as I recall: 2, 5, 7, 9. Then PBS came along, and we got 11. Big city life. Remember turning the dial from VHF to UHF when we got those channels? and the coat hanger you could use if you didn't have an antenna?
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

MIdway4-8692. Do we ever forget our first phone number??
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I turned 46 in May. We grew up on bikes, rode on the sidewalks, through the woods, fields, streams, all on stingray bikes my dad pulled out of the dump and fixed. He even spray painted them to make them look new. Got my first new bike at 10, a green Schwinn 3 speed. My next new bike hubby bought me when I was 23 and then last year he bought me my beautiful purple Orbea. I've come a long way since the dump bikes.

I also loved Bobby Sherman better than David Cassidy and Donny Osmond, and the "Hey Hey for the Monkeys" were my favorite.

TW(twinbrook)3-2728 !!! That was our telephone number in the early 70's. Some things are permanently etched in our brains...

I have a pretty good long term memory....but sometimes, I can't remember what I did even hours before ...... I guess that's common at my age .
    I've purchased Gingko Biloba a few times in the past several years, only I can't remember to take it!!!

Have a nice evening!

Denise

Well, so far I'm the elder of the group- 65. What can I say for all these years I've lived on this planet-

40's- No freeways, no TV, no Cell phones, and if you were lucky, you had a private telephone line. Otherwise, it was a 2 or 4 party line. We always managed to have our own private line. The phones were black, only desk phones. Must have have weighed about 10 lbs.

When TV came along in the 50's I couldn't stand it because of the high frequency ringing which bothered my ears. As a consequence I never got hooked on TV and to this day don't watch it. Missed all the programs and a whole generation of TV stars. Instead, when I was growing up we listened to the radio every night- the lone ranger, fibber mcgee and molly, etc. Those were the fun times as we had to imagine the scenes!

In the 70s I was part of the alternative culture. Lived in a collective- we published a magazine called Vocations for Social Change. We advocated women's rights and environmentally sound businesses, alternative lifestyles, etc. It was an interesting time. I still keep in contact with two of the members of that group. I also did some drugs on an experimental basis- shant name them here!

During this time I was part of the Free Speech Movement at UC Berkeley, and SF State as well. After getting my Masters Degree in 1974 I became a teacher and entered the "straight" world. (That's what we called it then)

Started running in 1974 and ran marathons and other events until I couldn't due to arthritis in my knees which brought me to cycling in 2003. Since that time I've cycled over 12,000 miles including the Seattle to Portland ride for 2 yrs (am doing it for a 3rd time this year) and the SF/LA AIDS ride last year. This year I set a goal of 2 metric centuries a week, which I have followed regularly (the weather sometimes kept me down to 1 a week!) My overall goal this year is 7500 miles. I'm at 3200 something so I have a ways to go and some more centuries to do!

So there you have it. Never let age get you down.
    Nancy

Happy Birthday PAP103!

Quote Originally Posted by PAP103
    51 yesterday.
    Hope you had a great day!
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

and Bike Goddess, you RULE!!!! Hands Down!!!!!
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

Back in the 60s I got sucked into the folk music thing and I still like to listen to the old Bob Dylan songs, and a million other folk groups that very few people ever heard of, even still. In fact I just got the new Bruce Springsteen CD of "The Seeger Sessions" and can't stop playing it. His versions of "The Erie Canal" and "Shenandoah" really take me back. Sigh.

College in the late 60s-early70s was a weird time - Kent State - drugs - Vietnam. No cell phones. When the drug culture hit the protesters it was a veritable sea change. General apathy took over. "Like, wow, man."

Worse. No computers! When I went to graduate school many years later at least I was able to do SOME research online via FTP or dial-up directly to the university library. I had a whole phone book of computer phone numbers and a screechy 1200K modem.

withm "I just got the new Bruce Springsteen CD of "The Seeger Sessions" and can't stop playing it. His versions of "The Erie Canal" and "Shenandoah" really take me back. Sigh."

ooh, must get that. Not sure how many Pete Seeger concerts I went too, he's incredible, there are two I remember vividly one in the redwoods and the other in Berekely. Also think my Dad once met Paul Robeson. I never heard him perform live. Before my time.

and I agree, BG rules! I wanna be her when I grow up.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I am 51 and I have been riding a very loooonnnngggg time and I love to ride! I commute to teach art at the HS level and I have a twin that has taken up riding. I have a friend that will be turning 55 in august who has just started the Northern Tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillfred
    and Bike Goddess, you RULE!!!! Hands Down!!!!!
    Absolutely. 20 years from now I hope to have built up to the same kind of annual mileage! Thanks for telling us.

I liked those old phones, by the way. I liked dialing a rotary dial. You knew you were doing something. Nobody got called by mistake!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

What an interesting thread this has turned out to be.

I was born in '53. At my 10th birthday party we saw a tape of Jack Ruby shooting Harvey Oswald. I have the same memory of the elementary school principal coming to my class the week before to say that Kennedy had been shot. It was as close as you get to a collective national mourning--everyone was devastated.

We did the get-under-desk-atomic-bomb thing at school (my, how silly). We watched Twilight Zone, the greatest. That Was The Week That Was. Laugh-In, Mod Squad, Room 222, 77 Sunset Strip.

Re the 60s: I couldn't have asked for a better time to come of age. It was exciting and inspiring (in the early days, anyway), politically, musically, socially. 70s and disco--sort of a mixed bag. Early 80s and Reagan--ugh. AIDS in the 80s--lost a whole generation of both dancer and psychologist friends.

I liked George, by the way, and yes, my sister and I watched The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Never an Elvis fan---always a 60s rock fan, also soul music. First concert: Sonny and Cher, at age 12 1/2. Saw Jimi Hendrix two years later in a small local club. Saw Janis Joplin, saw the Doors.

Bike Goddess DOES rule!

60's wannabe

Ohh...you saw Jimmy hendrix, janis & the doors..ohh...I envy you!! Am i showing my young age?

Did any of you funky chickies go to Woodstock???

Lise-the quilt-everytime i see pics i'm in tears..

c

off to look for early grey hairs...