Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Stanchion Lube

Thumbs up Stanchion Lube

To disable ads, please log-in.

Helloooo, jsut thought I would share something I learned today.

Did you know you can get special stanchion lube to lube the fork stanchions with

Finish Line Stanchion Lube

And I also found out that using Silicone Spray (I'm using CRC silicone spray in the meantime) is better than using chain lube for the job.

In the past I've used Finish line chain lube on my Judy TT fork, but found it went stickyish & was harder to clean the stanchions with it on. Anyway now that I have a better bike with a Rock Shox Tora fork I thought I'd look into it a bit more. So this is when the silicone spray was recommended, I did a bit more research & cam across the stanchion lube. I'll be getting some after we move house.

Hope others find this info useful. Feel free to share your experiences / what you're currently using?

Cheers

Pebble

You have to lube your fork? I know absolutely nothing about mtn bike maintenance (although I can build wheels and have built up a bunch of road & cyclocross bikes all by myself).

The older forks used to come with boots (black covers) to keep the dust out, the new forks have better seals and stuff so the stanchions (generally silver shaft things that slide in and out of the fork legs) are left exposed. These are at least meant to be kept clean, but every so often should be lubed as well to keep it all smooth (go in and out smoothly and keep the fork working well).

Hope that makes sense.

I always knew that was the case but never thought about it that much (my old fork had the boots).

Wheel building would be quite an achievment compared to lubing a fork LOL.

Nothing like giving things a go hey, sometimes it's the best way to learn.