Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile Do you take the chain off to clean?

To disable ads, please log-in.

For the first time in my life I have just broken the chain, taken it off the bike, cleaned it, lubed it and put it back on with one of those tool free links (a Connex 8spd one). I did all this on my husbands bike of course just in case I stuffed something up

I just wanted to say it was easy and made chain cleaning soooo much easier, and it will be even easier in the future with the Connex now on there.

I've ordered a SRAM Quicklink for my bike. Also be interesting if there's any difference between the two brands.

Since buying my bike this was the second simple little thing I have learned, the first was how easy it was to take a bolt on seat collar off & replace it with a qr one.

Sometimes learning those simple little things just seems to feel so rewarding. Funny isn't it.

Well done. LOL about it being on your husbands bike. Makes perfect sense to perfect the job on his bike before trying it on your own baby.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

well obviously he's not into riding much! So if his bike was out of service it wouldn't really matter. If on the other hand he was a mtb nut, well I wouldn't get away with such things. Besides he's not home so wouldn't even notice anything different - the bikes upkeep etc is my job - the car it's his job.