Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Titus Racer X

Titus Racer X

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,
    I did not want to hijack the stand over thread, but I am actively shopping for a new bike, and I too am small, and so an xs Racer X is on the list.

Who has one, who likes it, why????

I am going to get to demo one next month....

Thanks,
    Ruth

Titus In General

I don't have one- I have the old Locomoto, but I _love_ the company. They recalled my frame and paid for my bike to be packed, shipped out, rebuilt with the new frame, and shipped home. Turnaround time one week. I think the frame was recalled because only two had problems...So they stand behind their bikes.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I love mine! It's the best fitting bike I've ever had. In fact, the guy who fitted me said its the easiest bike to fit small riders.

I have and Aegis Swift road bike and I wanted a frame that rode as nice as carbon does. Well, the Racer X, even though its alum. rides as nice as the Swift.

It's a good climber and corners well.

It's built with XT components, and its lighter than my steel hardtail.

Wow, this looks like a really sweet bike, and I love the company's philosophy on WSD bikes (just got back from visiting their website). Just for shock value, about how much $ do these run? I checked online but could not find an MRSP at all.

I'm just dreaming for the future if I get really into mountain biking. I'm currently a rank beginner at mountain biking and am riding a Novara Bonita hardtail, which is fine, but bike lust is always an issue, and if I stick with this, I might be ready for an upgrade next year.

Thanks!
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, you're in MTB Nirvana!!!

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I love my RacerX

I too am a shorty with a 28-inch inseam and have very few choices when it comes to clearance on bikes. I did a lot of research online on the Racer X and could not find any bad reviews. I looked at the geometry and it seemed like it should fit. There is nowhere near me that carries them to try, so when I found one on Ebay, I went for it! I am so glad I did!

I had been riding a Fisher WSD hardtail, but being a 50-something new rider thought I would like to try a full suspension bike. I find that I can ride over alot of stuff that I was picking my way through before. I'm glad I started on the hardtail to get a feel for mountainbiking, but I figure at this stage of my life I deserve some good equipment to hopefully help with the learning curve. Descending over the rough stuff is much more secure and I am able to climb better on it as well. My skill level no where matches the quality of this bike, but she doesn't seem to mind!

Yes, it was a costly purchase, but one that I figure I will have for as long as I'm able to ride the trails. Depending on the components it can run anywhere from $3000-$5000. I got SRAM x9/XT components for 3300 on a like-new used bike. (Only ridden on paved bike paths by a 60-year-old woman).

I bet you'll love it when you try it!

Linda

I bought mine in March 04 from a bike shop here in Denver. I paid $3,000 for it. It has XT components.

Sadly, it's hanging in the garage waiting for my Ortho to clear me to mtn bike again which might not be until the end of summer

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    I only have my old POS hard tail to compare it to, so I'm not sure it's fair for me to wax poetic about my Racer X. When I was shopping, it was going to either be the SC Juliana or the Racer X. I ultimately got a better deal with the Titus as I was able to build it like I wanted and get it sooner. I'm not sorry I went with the Titus, but smaller riders should keep the Juliana in mind too.

I have SRAM X.9 (couldn't afford the X.0). I had Shimano something or other on my old bike. I like the SRAM better. Not sure why. The throw is a little longer but once you get the hang of it, it's fine.

I got the Mavic CrossMax wheels, which are very light. Avid disc brakes. RP3 rear shock and SID front shock. It weighs in at a touch under 25 lbs. Nice & light, and fast as I need it to be. Like Wavedancer, I don't feel like I'm quite up to the skill level of the bike, but I hope to get there.

Yeah, I love my Racer X!

Hay! Where's the picture of us'ns on our X's? I'm just starting to write up my review. Go find a pic, please.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 06-22-2006 at 09:15 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Mine came from Rage Cycles in Scottsdale because when I called all over the nation a couple summers ago looking for the elusive size XS, Peter at Rage was one of the best guys I spoke with and he hangs out with the Titus folk so he practically physically stood on their doorstep to get the first one in the next production run.

I absolutely love mine (Sonja, Warrior Princess) because:
    • It has the angles, wheelbase and agility for tight, technical singletrack - either low speed snaking around every tree or high speed slalom swoops.
    • It climbs with you or without you. Point her nose uphill and hang on
    • It is lightweight compared to the competition (Ventana and Ellsworth though I think the Yeti and Intense were closer). I'm not a horrible weight weenie, but as a percentage of body weight I think weight on a mtbike can be critical
    • Titus has a definite focus on fitting women (they pay attention to those of us who need a shorter cockpit and weigh less than our equivalent height male counterparts)
    • It's RED!

She's outfitted with Ritchey WCS crank, Seven Ti 9 degree bar (stops my wrists pain), Paul brake levers, Avid linear brakes, Eggbeaters, XT/XTR drivetrain, WTB Laser V Ti saddle, Thompson post and stem, White Bros Racer-X wheels (White Bros hubs with Velocity rims).

This is not the bike I'd recommend if you're going to ride big drops or hits. It is very short travel and tight suspension. It is truly an XC racer at heart.

Old wheels, but you can see how much she likes the McKenzie River Trail.