Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Sequoia vs Trek Pilot

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't decided whether I want a true road bike, built for speed, or a slightly more upright, more comfortable road bike that will be much faster than my MTB.

I tried the Specialized Sequoia Elite and I liked it. It was comfortable and had some nice features although I'd trade the suspension seat post for a carbon one.

Was also looking online at the Trek Pilot - the 2.1 looks fairly close to the Sequoia, in components and price.

Has anyone tried either?

I know I want a carbon fork and seatpost. I want Shimano 105 or Ultegra derailleur and a triple crank.

I'm not sure I'll be comfortable hunched over a road bike for long periods of time but I also want to be fast. I wish I knew how it would feel after I got used to it....

Any thoughts?

Thanks, as always,

barb

After the first few rides on my road bike I didn't have any pain/stiffness in my back from being in a hunched over position. In fact, I immensely enjoy riding in the drops, it feels great to me and my back (on the flats anyway, hard to be in that position on hills!).

This could have something to do with the wonderful job my LBS did at fitting me to my bike.

K.

I have a Pilot 2.1 and love it! It's a smooth ride and doesn't feel terribly upright to me. At the same time, I don't feel hunched over either. A good fit goes a long way. Do some test rides (as many as you can) and see what you think. There are a number of ladies on here that ride Pilots - try searching for "pilot" and see what you find.

Good luck!
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

One more bike

My LBS doesn't have a Pilot in my size to try so I can't give it a ride. Will see if I can find another store close by. In the meantime, the guy suggested (on the phone) I try a Cannondale Synapse - the mid-priced one with Ultegra components etc. He said it was similar to the Pilot so I'm going to have a look this weekend. I did a search on TE for Synapse and didn't come up with anything. It's a newish bike I think - has anyone here tried one?

Thanks,
    Barb

The Synapse has been out about a year. Its Cannondale's first full-carbon frame. It has had absolutely rave reviews in every mag going ( I have read US, UK and Aussie reviews) They say it is responsive and accelerates like a thoroughbred racer but has a slightly longer wheelbase which makes it less twitchy and has a slightly more upright riding position for all day comfort.

It is my next Dream bike at present so I have looked into it quite extensively!
    Whan they say the dimensions are so and so to give this and that; they are really only talking about 5mm here and e degree or two there, so I don't think you would be snubbed in pure racing circles, should that bother you!?

Regarding comfort in the racing bike?
    Well, I have an up-right which I still use for commuting (but not for long) and my current Cannondale R800 (CAAD 7 frame which I love). I have to say that I am much more comfortable on my road bike and can happily ride it for 6 hours without stopping. I only ever get numb hands and neck pain on my up-right so I am a complete convert.

You have to remember that road bikes are designed for riding long and hard and they are good at what they do. You have many more handlebare positions and even saddle positions on a roadie.

It might not feel instinctive, but its worth persisting with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok-torr
    ? Regarding comfort in the racing bike?
    Well, I have an up-right which I still use for commuting (but not for long) and my current Cannondale R800 (CAAD 7 frame which I love). I have to say that I am much more comfortable on my road bike and can happily ride it for 6 hours without stopping. I only ever get numb hands and neck pain on my up-right so I am a complete convert.

You have to remember that road bikes are designed for riding long and hard and they are good at what they do. You have many more handlebare positions and even saddle positions on a roadie.

It might not feel instinctive, but its worth persisting with.
    Thanks for the responses - you guys are so helpful here! Nice to hear the Synapse has had good reviews - I didn't realize it was a FULL carbon frame. Can't wait to go see one this afternoon.

As for the "comfort" concerns - I think the problem isn't so much in the back, arms, neck part - I think I can get used to that. It's the crotch. I have only ridden road bikes around parking lots so far and I can't believe the discomfort on the crotch when I am leaning more forward than my mountain bike. On one bike, I was sore for an hour after only a 5 minute ride. Of course, I realize it is supposed to be largely a matter of adjustments to the bike, finding the right seat etc. But I am reading here about so many "crotch" pain concerns that I can't help being worried about it. When I rode the 2 more upright bikes, I was surprised at how much more comfortable I was when I wasn't leaning forward and putting so much pressure on my front "girly bits" (as you ladies call them.) Argh - it's so hard to know. I guess I really do want a real road bike but at the same time, I am afraid of spending $2000 and not enjoying riding it.

And then there is the issue about what I want to bike for... I ride 3-6 times per week now - 100-125 km/week - hopefully more in the summer. On flats and hills. Longer rides on the weekends - working my way up to centuries. I'd like to do some more challenging stuff eventually - Banff to Jasper, longer rides with overnighters. Club rides. And as dh says, I have that "racing" gleam in my eye. Maybe I do - I don't know. I'm pretty old to get started at that sort of thing but at the same time, I'd hate to discount it....

OK, sorry this got so long-winded. I need to go to work. TGIF.

barb

I test rode both the Pilot and the Specialized before I bought the scott contessa . The pilot felt faster/zippier to me. I would probably have the pilot if not for the black/pink writing on it.

Sequoia rider here

I have a Specialized Sequoia (not the elite tho!) and I do find it pretty comfortable. I haven't had much experience riding other road bikes, so I probably won't be offering any words of wisdom, but I'll ramble on a little about it anyway!

Firstly, I like that when I go out with the group, I can tell my bike apart from the 20 Treks.

Secondly, I like that I have a triple chain set, and low low gears because I am a terrible climber.

However, I know (too well!) what you mean about leaning on the girly bits. On my old sit-up-and-smile hybrid, I never had any soreness in that region, (but I rarely cycled much more than 100k in a week. My last single ride was longer than that!) and I certainly suffer from it now.

I have the suspension seat post, I can't really tell if it actually makes a difference. I was talking to someone about it before, and they said it was just a gimmick really. My saddle is the Specialized Milano, and I'm considering changing it, but the thought of researching all that info about saddles gives me a headache! After about 2500km, there is a little bit of fraying in the material - I would've expected it to be more resilient than that.