Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey KnottedYet... are you a man... or are you woman married to a woman?

Just curious... as typically men stay away from... "Team ESTROGEN".

My wife, on the other hand, hardly ever wants to picnic as often as I do. She stays happy with just sports drink and eating maybe once to every 2 or 3 of my picnics.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I say fruit leather is good, like Fruit-to-go. Gu, Sharkies, the little packages of Fruit gummies that are so typical in children's lunchboxes. Pretzels. Granola bars. I particularly like Nature's Valley Crunchy bars. Of course gatorade.

KSH - I'm a woman married to a woman. As the saying goes "we are everywhere". She's a biker, too.

Wife, S.O., partner... it all means "spouse" in the end.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

In case anyone's interested, I asked my family doc last year whether we should bring some kind of sports drink mix on the Seattle to Portland ride. She's a super jock, champion mountain climber, and has done the STP on a tandem 8 times as part of the medical team. She said she once asked a guy she used to date, a doc who was on the US Olympic team nutrition committee, about what is really important to take in on a long ride. He said if you drink plenty of water and eat the stuff at the food stops like PBJ, bananas, oranges, bagels, boiled potato, you would have everything you need. Worked for us last year.

On my weekly 30 mile rides, I usually eat a Balance or Luna bar, and that's it, with lots of water. 60 mile rides, two bars and water.

When y'all say Payday, are you talking about the candy bar?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

yup - and I've started carrying hard-boiled eggs and rice cakes! The perfect ride food!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    For relaxed rides, we, DH & I, are also fond of bike picnics with fancy bread, canned oysters, good cheese, fruit, all that.
    MOB, that sounds wonderful !

Quote Originally Posted by pooks
    When y'all say Payday, are you talking about the candy bar?
    Yes indeedy. They're great on the bike snacks (imho of course, but an o shared by many!), with the caramel and the peanut, they hold up reasonably well to heat and bike bag abuse. They do turn into little cement bricks in the cold, but so it goes.

I especially like the snack size paydays, they are the perfect size for a quick pick-me-up. They're really hard to find in the snack size so I always buy serveral bags when I find them. Can't imagine what the check-out person must think.

i don't buy or eat candy bars for on the bike... but i do like the sweet and salty bars that they seem to have a lot at organized ride sag stops lately!

i like that i can grab a couple and take them on the bike for later when i get hungry!

Paydays used to be my favorite candy bar for eating in a movie theater. I'd slowly nibble off all the nuts, and save the caramel for the end. They lasted a long time!

Haven't had any in years, but I did love the things. Thanks for the tip.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

while peddling...

good info/tips from all on food choices--but I learned to cut the bag open slightly to make it easy to get to the goods while still on the bike! I once lost an entire Clif Bar while struggling to open its bag

I've also become a fan of Glaceau's VitaminWater--I like diluting 50-50 w/ water for my hour commutes, and the tropical citrus "energy" is a good flavor--not too sweet--when diluted!

Poptarts are also a good ride snack--unfrosted strawberry--yum!

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    If I don't eat a little something fairly often I get crazy-hungry and b*tchy and headachey. My ride turns foul, and then I eat waaaaaay too much after the ride.
    I get this way as well if I don't eat! It isn't fun. I have gotten to where I have snacks stashed EVERYWHERE! Luna bars in my desk drawer at work, trail mix in the truck, and Sports beans in the Bento Box (pb sammy and Fig Newtons for rides over forty miles). I am a day long grazer, (Moo!) but it seems to keep my blood sugar on an even keel.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike
    He said if you drink plenty of water and eat the stuff at the food stops like PBJ, bananas, oranges, bagels, boiled potato, you would have everything you need.
    See - there's that potato again.

Caution, thread drift

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    Wife, S.O., partner... it all means "spouse" in the end.
    So could we use "DW" ?
    I never figured out exactly what DH stands for:
    dear husband
    darned husband
    dang husband
    dea... no, wait, probably not...

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...act&s=r&page=1

Probably not designated hitter or Dennis Hopper...

I've seen a few women on here use "DP" (dear partner)

But yeah, don't see why we couldn't all use "DW"! Everybody join my team! How 'bout DPITA? (for those days when the dear spouse is being a Pain In The A$$)

DS is usually "dear son".

(I'm kinda likin' DPITA)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-22-2006 at 08:31 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson