Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cycling and pregnancy....

To disable ads, please log-in.

I found out recently that I am five weeks pregnant. I am not telling anyone IRL yet (except for hubby of course) because my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 11 1/2 weeks. (Not from cycling, exercising, or anything else that I did, I was actually so sick with all-day sickness that I hardly was able to do anything!)

Anyway - I would love to hear about any experiences that you all have with riding during pregnancy. My doctor wants me to exercise during pregnancy, but did express concern about falling later on when I start getting bigger.

Of course, a healthy baby is my number one priority!

Number one rule of being pregnant is to listen to your body.

I rode a mountain bike on bike paths unitl my protruding tummy got too big. You will instinctively know when to quit as your balance will be off and your knees will hit your belly. I'd recommend a mountain or hybrid stlye bike over a road bike as it's most likely more comfortable. It's be common sense to stay out of traffic and other potentially risky situations but only you can decide what those are, for you.

Swimming is probably the best exercise for pregnancy as it's so low stress on the joints. And, when you are the size of a whale it feels sooo good to float in the water.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

5 months and still riding

i am 5'8'', 137 lbs 5 months pregnant and i ride clipped in 4 days a week two laps around central park nyc. from my apt and back is 15 miles takes me an hr. that sounds extremely slow but i don't see one other pregnant women on a bike. I feel great after i do it

I am 5'6 tall, 10 weeks pregnant. I ride a lot and fast. I feel much better on the bike. As soon as I get off the bike I am unhappy. My doctor tells me just to listen to my body. I ride several times a week at least 20-22 miles and longer on the weekends. Just do whatever feels right. If you start feeling uncomfortable, slow down. The rule is definitely eat something before th ride. I didn't use to do that especialy early in the morning. But now I have too.
    Good luck and congratulations!

wow! talk about a thread from the past... this thread is THREE YEARS OLD!

Women get pregnant all the time. What's so funny? If this is a new question, why not answering. However, it looks like there are a lot of threads that have the same topic. Mine that I posted 2 months ago was brought up as well. I guess it is important for someone.

Pregnancy & Exercise

Found this research article

http://www.jssm.org/vol5/n3/11/v5n3-11abst.php

For all you geeks out there (like me!) who want to see the research.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I think my biggest concern would be falling.

13 weeks PG

I am 13 weeks along, 14 weeks on Sunday. I've only ridden once since June 30. Mainly a fear of falling/crazy drivers in Atlanta, not to mention the fact that it is 10,000 degrees here.
    I'd love to ride for awhile longer, and hope to start taking early morning rides at least once a week, as well as some light, easy inline skating (I'm very experienced and don't worry too much about falling).
    I am having a surgical birth in mid-Feb. and expect to be able to get back on the bike about 8 weeks after.
    Anyone have an experience getting back in the saddle after a c-section?

I had a similar surgery to a C-Section. I would be hesitant to get right on a road bike. A comfort bike where you can sit up more would be better. I think I started riding about 3-4 weeks after my surgery. I took it slow and easy. Good luck!
    Last edited by limewave; 08-23-2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: wrong comments

After a C-section, they'll want to have you up and walking within 24 hours. Because of the damage to your abdominal muscles, I would expect biking to be out at least until the stitches come out. I don't know when mom got back on her bike after me, but I was a November baby, and this was 30 years ago. I don't think mom was an icebiker way back then *g*.

Mom didn't have much choice about me being born via C-section... she and I were both dying after 72 hours of nonproductive labor. Since there was no medical reason preventing me from being born normally, for my sister and brother they didn't even try labor. If mom had had a choice, I would have been born vaginally. Her recovery from each C-section was much harder than her friends' recoveries from vaginal birth. She's really active about discouraging young mothers from C-sections, and says the recovery period is the most difficult she's had for any surgery (including a hip replacement and a botched shoulder replacement).

If you must do a C-section, be real up front with your doctor about your activity level and goals. Even if you can't bike, there should be core strength exercises that are safe to do. A good physical fitness baseline makes any surgery easier, and a C-section is just brutal on your body. If you can dodge the bed rest bullet, do. Bed rest makes recovering from a C-section even harder.

I started exercising 4 weeks after a C section. I was doing high impact aerobics, not cycling, but it was still pretty strenuous. I didn't find the recovery to be that bad. I started walking after 2-3 weeks. You will be tired from just having surgery, so start slowly and listen to your body. Most doctors clear you for any type of exercise after 6 weeks. This was a long time ago, but I don't think too much has changed! I had two vaginal deliveries after the C, but i think doctors today are too afraid to try this.
    Everyone is different.