Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about cleaning gloves

To disable ads, please log-in.

What do you guys do about cleaning gloves when they start to keep the smell of your sweaty hands?? I have a pair I love, can't seem to find the same ones in the stores, and they are getting stinky. And yes, of course I have periodically washed them. And last week, I soaked them all day in Planet laundry detergent with only minimal improvement. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I usually wash my gloves weekly in a mesh bag (mostly so the velcro doesn't stick to other clothes).

I usually grow holes in them long before they stink.

If they reek, maybe it's time for a new pair?

I just make sure the velcro is done up (on the ones with velcro) and toss them into the washing machine with my other cycling gear. I then dry them on a rack inside and they smell pretty fresh after.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I just toss mine in the washer with the rest of my cycling gear - but not half often enough. I figure that if I can't stand to wear them it probably doesn't make that much difference if they are ruined in the wash.

Once I left my winter gloves unwashed all summer long. Reek isn't half strong enough a word. I'm not making that mistake again.

Am I the only one who carefully velcros the gloves together into one big piece so that 1) the velcro doesn't ruin other things and 2) one glove doesn't decide to do the sock thing and disappear into another dimension?

Try it...
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I use Dr. Bronner's lavendar or eucalyptus castile soaps for all my stinky stuff. (shoes, too) If something's really bad (like my wool long undies from Duofold, which can't go through the washer) I leave it soak overnight.

I'm pretty convinced that the eucalyptus is the best for stains and stink, but I need to go get a new bottle. Just washed my gloves in lavendar a couple days ago. Not quite the same, but not too bad.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Wash them well and put them *out* to dry in the *sunshine*. Just like Grandma. Sunshine is the answer to greeblies of all sorts. Or in scientific language : bacteria are photo-phobic

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Wash them only in a zippered lingerie bag. Velcro will seek out your most expensive and irreplaceable jersey and do bad things to it.

Hang to dry.

Repeat frequently.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

What a good group you guys are. Thanks. Dr. Bronner's soap, lingerie bags, and sunshine, on their way.

I do the Dr. B's handwashing. Might foam up in a machine. Did laundry in backpacker hostels with the peppermint, but only used a tiny squirt.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

in the washer... IN A BAG! what everyone else said about the velcro finding other expensive (and sometimes irreplaceable) items!

Dr. Bonner's Eucalyptus soap--thanks, Knotted!

Hey, I just washed our gloves in the Dr. Bonner's eucalyptus soap, and it worked GREAT!! Thanks, Knotted. That's a keeper for sure.