Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Laundry Question

To disable ads, please log-in.

So how do you wash your shorts? Because they're lyrca, I'm afraid to put them in the washer/dryer - I've seen what that does to a swim suit. But at the same time, I don't feel like they get clean enough if I wash them by hand, and they won't be dry by the next day when I want it wear them. (Yes, I know I need another pair!).

What do you do?

I machine wash them in a front loading washer (much easier on your clothing than a top loader) in cold water only - then air dry them. Heat is a big enemy of lycra, so drying with heat will make them fall apart and stretch out fast.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Personally, I live in cooler climate, so I need to dry biking things or else they are still damp next day. I just make sure I use the coolest setting possible. I gentle wash (setting) clothes in cold water. I am fairly new (one year) so I'm not sure about longevity of clothes but so far they seem to be holding up well. There have been prior good threads on this topic:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...washing+shorts

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...washing+shorts

If possible, I would line dry over dryer.

Quillfred

Thanks for the links!

barb

Update

OK, here's a funny one, sort of... I found the olive oil (or massage oil which I have in my bathroom) works really well overall. However, I had this one small chainring mark that just wouldn't seem to come off over several days no matter how many times I rubbed oil into it and showered. When it finally began to turned from black to green, I realized it was actually a chairnring bruise!! Oh...

I think I need some coverstick for all the marks on my legs. With all my MTB scrapes and bruises, they look awful when I go out. Thankfully, DH looks at them as badges of honour...

No wonder one of the students in my class gave me a First Aid Kit for biking as a year end gift....

barb

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl
    I think I need some coverstick for all the marks on my legs. With all my MTB scrapes and bruises, they look awful when I go out. Thankfully, DH looks at them as badges of honour...

barb
    There should be *more* women walking round with chain-ring tattoo's, scrapes and bruises (not to mention broken noses and sprained fingers at unnatural angles)

Btw what is cover stick
    Last edited by margo49; 07-16-2006 at 12:20 AM.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

makeup

Margo,

I think cover stick is the makeup stuff you apply on your beautiful face to cover spots...

This is coming from a non makeup person & i could be inaccurate....

c

Yeah, that (theoretically) skin-coloured foundation-on-a-stick that we used to use on zits back in the olden days. Made your pimples look like clogged tan bumps.... Hanv'et bought any in 30 years - not even sure if they make it any more.

I went out for a nice dinner on Friday night, all dressed up (for me anyway) in my new "going-out" top, and white capris (had to drink white wine just in case, haha) and sandals. My scars, bruises, and grease marks made my legs look awful... Ha ha, to be honest, I'm pretty much a tomboy so I really don't care all that much but just once in awhile, it would be nice to look more like a girl...