Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Help me out of this SLUMP!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I feel like a FAT slug! I added biking to my workout repetoire 2 years ago and was doing well (rode last spring with a group every weekend worked up to 15-16mph - did some 75 mile rides) but the past 5 months have been tough. No gym OR riding for several months now... I can't get back in my groove. I've gone off some medication, but am on the patch for the past few months... I don't really think that's causing the lack of motivation (tho' it does have other side effects).
    I just turned 49 and really want to do something physical to celebrate my 50th next fall ... like ride the Hudson Valley Century (at a respectable time of course!) or something similar... Anyone gone thru a similar slump (I'm sick of blaming everything on estorgen deprivation!!!)... or does anyone got some inspirational words ?!

Hi KTeach

I'm sure you're not really a fat slug. Slugs don't have legs so how could they ride a bike

Why not try reminding yourself what it was you liked about riding in the first place - you know, real basic stuff like the feeling of the breeze in your hair or that all-over good feeling you get when you arrive home after a long ride, tired, with aching legs but satisifed and (for me) kinda proud I went out there and did it.

I'm sure you must have a favourite ride. Why not just go out and ride it - simple as that. But really take your time and enjoy it. Don't take any heart rate monitors or mileometers, just ride, enjoy the scenery, enjoy what it feels like to be on your bike and don't worry that you've been off for several months.

As difficult as it may be, try not to compare your performance to that of a few months ago, just be kind to yourself. This is now, this is where it starts... just go out there and give it a try.

Smile

I've gone through similar slumps before. Find yourself a definite goal to work towards. Check your local ride listings and pick out some. Put them on your calendar, sign up for them, and make definite plans (motels,etc) to attend. That will get you motivated to get going again. Try to get in a variety of riding. (Flats, hills, ride around a lake, ride along a river etc)

I've just gotten started riding again after not being able to ride for 2 years. Every day I can't wait to get riding. I just want to put all those horrible times when I could not ride at all out of my mind. It is so fun finally being able to revisit most of my favorite cycling roads and marvel at how I had thought I would never be there again and yet here I am!

When I'm in a slump I either do "fun rides" with friends (today we just rode from the coffee shop to the bagle store, ride a little, eat a little..) or I stay off the bike and do other sports and activities for awhile (running, swimming, yoga). I think it just gets worse if I try to "force" myself to ride.
    I go through peaks and valleys with my riding throughout the year and try not to stress too much over the whole thing.

Hey- I so hear you!
    You are not alone.
    I went through a slump myself...and even biking has been hard- well, since Hurrican Isabel- with the wet and stormy weather.
    which came AFTER Isabel but I digress >: )

Seriously- I was doing yoga, gym three times a week. Then when the weather was nice- cycling.
    But- I can't seem to force myself to go to the gym. Even though I know I will love it when I get there- okay, not love, but feel better for it, and kinda proud that I'm doing it...well, I haven't been for 4 months. And - lets face it, I could be going to the gym when the weather is inclement, but I don't.

Maybe you're like me- more of a team sport person, and it's easier if you have someone to share the experience with?
    Maybe you could get somebody to go with you so that you can remember how great it feels? Start slow- but you'll still feel better. It's a start. And if you don't start, you can't finish!!
    Try something different- try a community trail just to get you back in the groove. That's what I am doing- driving 100 miles this weekend to go to a bike/hike meeting in a local conservation area. They have tons of different trails for different levels- I'm really excited about it, even though I'm going alone...

Hey- I'm 47- I don't think it's an age thing. It MIGHT be a depression thing though- and the less you do, the more anxiety you feel and the more depressed you are.
    Just go around the block...get started...

Good luck- you GO girl!

Kimba

small tangent

Hi Kimba

It's a start. And if you don't start you can't finish!
    Read your post this morning and this line really caught me. It's been a tough time for me the last few months. Amongst other things my partner was made redundant 5 months ago and I'm stuck in a job a totally hate , so we've both been a bit down. I like this line - next time I'm feeling stuck or bogged down I think this will really help. Thanks!

Cool THANKS!

Thanks guys! - everyone is so supportive and your ideas are great. I took your advice and signed on for a group ride in the Catskills two weeks from now so I have to get some milage in! And I got to the gym at 6am for a spin class with an instructor who is just fabulous (he also happens to own my favorite LBL).
    The point is, your feedback helps... so thanks again! I'm nowhere near being back in my groove (yet ... nor my jeans! but feel like I'm headed in the right direction.[SIZE=3]

Re: small tangent

Originally posted by MightyMitre
    Hi Kimba

Read your post this morning and this line really caught me. It's been a tough time for me the last few months. Amongst other things my partner was made redundant 5 months ago and I'm stuck in a job a totally hate , so we've both been a bit down. I like this line - next time I'm feeling stuck or bogged down I think this will really help. Thanks!
    No problem- I've gone through my own tough times these last 2 years...
    my job has essentially become redundant- as an industry- so no real job prospects...
    I'm working at a crappy job in retail- you know the one- available 24/7 and fight to get 17 hours a week..
    my marriage is on tenuous ground...
    yadda yadda...building this bike- like it's gonna be bulit by November now!!! and cycling are my saving graces right now.
    Which makes it doubly hard when I hit a slump.
    I remember reading a statement- I can't remember from who, which said- if you try something you are guaranteed to fail some of the time...but if you DON'T try something you are guaranteed to fail 100 percent of the time...

so- I just shortenened it!
    >: )
    but it truly struck me as how totally right on that statement is.

Hey- if we stick together, we'll all get thru life's slumps, right??

Kimba
    looking forward to mountain biking in the Brant Tract tomorrow- if only it doesn't RAIN!!!

Angry I don't wanna!

Sometimes it isn't about waiting around until I feel good to do something - I do something because I know I'll feel good afterwards.

When I get like that - be it the gym, riding, whatever, I tell myself "I'll just go 10 miles" or "I'll just do one set of everything and leave". Inevitably, I end up loving it & staying.

And signing up for a race is always motivating. I am doing the Bisbee 1000 stair climb "A 5 K that feels like a 10 K" primarily because there are a bunch of stairs & it's at 7,000 feet. I talked a friend into doing it with me - so now I can't wuss out!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

...and another thing....

I'm with ya, KTeach! 49 years old and estrogen swings like a teenager. I'm doing bioidentical hormones - seems to work better for me. Did the patch for awhile too, it was OK but I like this better.

Riding is my saving grace - I can work out all my frustrations so that I don't take them out on others! I don't know how women who don't exercise make it through this "wonderful change of life" (NOT!). I never even had zits as a teenager! Now, as Molly Ivans says, I have zits in my wrinkles!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I don't know how women who don't exercise make it through this "wonderful change of life"
    I don't know how women who don't exercise make it through life at all! By that, I mean it's only been the last 2 years I've been doing regular exercise and I don't know how I got through life before. Not that life's been bad, just the usual minor frustrations you get during a regular day.

Thank goodness for biking - it's such a good outlet - otherwise I would have gone totally cuckoo by now.

slump

altho team and groups are great sometimes the only thing there is is you and your bike...and your slump. I find being a loner on the ride is getting me back to some kind of confidence. Is helping a little.

I have a sorta different twist on this topic:

I got interested in cycling; and primarily racing, when someone (am man) I was VERY close to started telling me about his riding and training. I became his encouragement day in; and day out. Then, I decided to get a bike and ride myself. Long and short of it: the relationship is over (not by my choice) and I am still riding like crazy. I am chasing someone all the time. That is quite a motivator for me.

I guess what I am saying is, compete with someone at whatever you do and you'll stay motivated. Get someone who is in the same boat you are in and see who can reach a milestone first or see who can keep up a workout schedule the longest.... compete at something. It is working for me.

Kim

Thumbs up

Thanks again! I feel like I'm moving in the right direction now... I haven't been riding much but am back at the gym spinning and I joined a special 7 week intensive exercise class that meets 2x week, and I will do a group ride this weekend with some bike friends this weekend. Your support is appreciated!!

Well I've had a break thru of sorts. I plotted out a 20 mile course around my town and rode it. Its not flat and I was shocked I could do it. I was dead tired but I made it.

I think things are getting better. I'm going to continue as long as possible thru the winter. Can spend time regretting wasted summer days now!