Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Round the Mountain - Jan 2007

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hiya,

I am a new Zealander currently based in Australia, but am coming (going?) home over Christmas. I was just wondering if anyone has done the Round the Mountain ride in Taranaki and had any thoughts to share? ie the atmosphere, how seriously people take it etc. I will be based in Wanganui, so its not too far to travel, but don't want to go by myself if its all serious or poorly organised.

Thanks heaps,

kiwi in oz

hills

HEy k oz...

Think hills & unforgiving hills. I've not done it but heard it's hilly...I wanted to do it but was leaving for perth when it was on...

There's a good hill in perth to practice on----Drive to Armadale & bike to roleystone...It's a good hill!!!!! Think hills dear...

c

I love that on their website, most roads are described as 'gently undulating'.....

I wonder if I can find anyone to go in a team with me then - someone who will let me do the first half....

i would

I'd love to join you but we're already going to Rotovegas for christmas...I'd do it if i knew how much air nz charges for bikes & if Ian would allow me to go back again in january...

Keep my toes & fingers crossed...

Seriously though...If you want to ride to roleystone let me know...

c

http://www.airnz.co.nz/travelinfo/ba...ized_items.htm

You can check in your bike in as part of your luggage allowance provided it's properly packaged.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

yeah, Qantas sells bicycle boxes for about $15-20 and even budget Pacific Blue has boxes for $15. Easy.

So... no excuses then :-)

I did the Taranaki ride this year. It was FABULOUS. It also happened to be the hottest part of the entire country that day! We did it in 5 hours 17 minutes at 33 degrees and drank around 5 litres of sports drink! I swear it took me a few more litres after the finish before I needed to pee! Complete contrast to the Taupo Challenge which was freezing (and took me 6 hours!)

About 3000 people took part and it was a great ride, well organised with enough groups at different speeds that you could latch onto. It was gently undulating at the start for about the first 50km or so, then it really did level off with long gentle inclines. These made you feel like you were cycling into a headwind or in treacle as you just couldn't get your speed up, but it wasn't really a slog and you didn't realise you were going uphill. It was only when you started flying down the long descents to the finish that you realised you had been climbing for ages! The finish is great fun.

I do recommend it.
    You can park in the side roads around the racetrack and avoid the main park area if you want.

Cool, thanks Dok-torr. That's really helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean by this bit though:

Quote Originally Posted by Dok-torr
    You can park in the side roads around the racetrack and avoid the main park area if you want.

Only that the car park of the racecourse is very busy at going home time. The side roads all around the area are quiet and we parked along one of those. It made it easier to get away at the end of the prizegiving.