Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone gone from very unhealthy life style to a healthier one?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Other people have posted weight loss threads. I thought about jumping in but I'd been meaning to come clean here. I feel like a lifestyle outcast. It's not about the number on the scale for me..
    I'm 26. 5'2" and 120 pounds. This is about the heaviest I've ever been. It's also the most out of shape I've ever been.
    Until last month-
    I tended to skip breakfast. eat top ramen for lunch. then mcdonalds or something similar for dinner. I counted french fries as vegetables. For awhile I was drinking 2 liters of pop a day. and a pot of coffee and 3-6 shots of espresso.
    I was smoking a pack of marb reds a day. Sometimes a pack and a half.
    I slept between 3 and 4 hours a night. No joke.

I knew better than this. I use to be extremely active. I honestly knew better but somehow it just didn't stop me.

Starting last month-
    I'm eating breakfast now even if it's just a banana. It's an improvement for me.
    I still have a love affair with top ramen but now dump vegetables and egg and junk in it.
    Something about the exercise I think is making me literally sick to my stomach when I eat greasy food too much. Eating better meals. I still get too much fat.. but it's by far an improvement with what other nutrients I'm getting.
    Drinking several liters of water a day instead of soda, and just have a can in the evening because I'm like a crack addict with it.
    down to 1/2 to 1/4th of a pack a day of smokes. Every time I smoke all I can think of is, "oh god my cardiovascular system is going to pay for this tomorrow morning.
    I'm sleeping about 6 hours a night
    Bike riding for an hour or 2 3 to 5 times a week.

I have stayed the same weight over the last month but lost about an inch in my waist and gained about an inch in my thighs. My whole body is some firmer. It's encouraging.

Most days, particularly in the morning I feel like absolute hell. My body in many ways feels better. I have more endurance, stupid daily things don't tire my muscles out like they use to. But I'm exhausted. Between drastically reducing my nicotine and caffiene intake, and with exercising. I am so sleepy and addle brained sometimes I could drop. But I can't sleep much more than 6 hours at a time. Sometimes I feel like puking while riding my bike and twice I've upchucked my water on rides. I've thrown up my breakfast a couple times in. Cutting back on caffeine and nictoine leave me with headaches.

I really had to whimper. This getting into shape thing is hellish. The benefits far outweigh any temporary discomfort. But it's rough. If someone needs a poster child for how NOT to live and the consequences when ya decide to change it here I am

I feel like a freak here and it's embarassing. Even the people who are dealing with obesity.. I read their posts about their overall lifestyle.. and lordy. I might fit into a size small but I'd trade places in a heart beat it feels like. I'm envious. Not trying to minimize other peoples struggles but I just feel like a freak.

BTW. I have no BIG health issues, just the whole kit and caboodle of lifestyle issues. So please no one worry that I'm going to keel over dead. I have low BP and all the changes- caffiene, nicotine, less sodium in my diet, more exercise, are actually dropping it lower. I have seen a cardiologist in the past about it. He was all for me being a healthier person and there's not much to do about it other than increase the sodium in my diet unless I want to take some nasty pills. His first response is always- drink more and take in more sodium to go with it. 800 dollar cardiologist appointment and testing to be told to drink chicken brother a couple times a day. lol.

I don't feel like anyone's been in my shoes:/ If anyone's gone from an extremely unhealthy lifestyle to a better one.... Please tell me this is going to get better.. soon. :/

Although my lifestyle wasn't as extreme as your was, for instance I never smoked, I have made some changes in the past few years, cycling being a big one and cutting way back on caffine being another. I don't think you are a freak, just one of many of us trying to live a healthier life and from what you describe you are doing just that -- a step at a time (which is all you can really do). Give yourself some credit. Keep it up and I do think it gets easier as your body adjusts. Hang in there!

Hey Joyful you don't sound so joyful today eh??? You know although I was never hooked on junk food like french fries and soda, I always loved sweets. Sometimes it would lead to a really bad binging day or two and a couple of pounds gained. I have to admit that I been having some eating habit problems myself, I would often skip meals like you, or just starve myself because I thought it's ok. I also used to smoke and quit. Look at you ->already making progress, getting healthier, riding your bike! Don't feel like a freak, it's extremely hard to eat very healthy and exercise all the time, especially while woking, going to school, etc. Don't compare yourself to anyone, see yourself as your own project that you have to work on step by step. It will take time and some suffering but you will see that in a long run you will be so much healthier and happier with yourself. I still have a piece of cake here and there, but no more 2-3 day bienging spree. Good luck

hirakukibou- thank you for responding.. I appreciate it. Sorry to hear about your clipless tumble. I almost managed to do the same thing gearwise, but I'm not clipless! LOL. This smoking thing is the pits. crossing fingers that it all gets easier
    FreshNewbie- My theory with eating healthier is.. I don't care what junk food I eat as long as I eat all the stuff I need to eat as well. Alot of times that keeps me too full to be able to hit the junk food. lol. So it works out fairly well. I usually end up falling victim to some late night Ben and Jerry's these days and I have to have my daily chocolate but compared to what I was eating.. I'm not gonna beat myself up over it. I don't even care if I gain weight be it fat or muscle<though I'd prefer muscle > as long as my overall health improves. Picking battles and all that.

It just seems like I should feel -better- for all this effort. Thank you two for being kind and helping me not feel like some sort of mutant. I really appreciate i

Well, you know the reason why you feel so fatique-> you cut on soda and smoking. Your body needs to adjust to a diet without so much coffeine. I am sure you will soon see some changes. Just the fact that you smoke less now is so much better for you. I can say with confidence that there is probably not one woman on this forum who does not feel out of energy or tired one day or another. I used to drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day, now i try to drink one cup only one weekend mornings, trust me I can feel the change. You have more willpower than you think.

Joyful, I feel your pain. I quit smoking about 2 1/2 months ago, and it hasn't been easy. I have noticed that one move in the direction of good health leads to another. You're doing the right thing with picking your battles...it helps to have more victories.

LOL. it's not will power. The only thing I decided was that- I WILL BIKE REGULARLY. I thought I was going to die after the first hour ride where I'd had about 5 cups of coffee that morning and eaten nothing. Then as I pedalled along at a blazing 7 miles an hour a few days later I realized the smokes were going to kill me, not lung cancer, my heart was just going to explode from me mashing along. The food's followed because I feel like death if I don't eat better, with proper nutrition I feel like death warmed over! I can NOT bike and maintain my previous lifestyle. <G>
    PedalHead-I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who's smoked. I couldn't imagine any of the healthy fit and motivated people here puffing away:/ at least not on a cigarette

Since I cut back on smoking now I feel sick to my stomach when I do smoke. I can see that alone forcing me to quit entirely. My body's in full scale rebellion. I'm calling the U.N. in soon if it doesn't shape up.

unhealthy lifestyle

My guess is that your adrenals are all whacked out from lack of sleep, caffiene intake, poor nutrition etc. They will regenerate as you keep up your healthy habits (good job, by the way) but you may even consider something like an herbal supplement to help them adjust. Something like Siberian Ginseng is good and not too stimulating (panax or korean ginseng is more stimulating), licorice root (not long term), ashwaghanda, etc are all good. Milk Thistle would be great for your liver which has probably taken a beating too.

Lots of B vitamins and vitamin C will also help the adrenals. DHEA and pregnenolone are hormone precursors that the adrenals can use to make cortisol and its other hormones, but although you can buy them OTC it pays to be more prudent with taking them. Many people find they really help with energy and emotional stability.

I hope this helps. If you have any Q's feel free to email me. I'm a naturopathic doctor so I'm really into this stuff!!!

Nicola

Hang in there joyful! You are not a freak. I know it takes A LOT to fix those habits. The BF is trying to quit smoking...we are thinking the patch it the next step for him (I think wellbutrin will help too). Soo my question to you is, does the riding really make your lungs revolt? He never complains about stuff like that. Maybe I have to get him into really riding

Keep it up, I know it can feel like #$%@ but it won't forever!

I used to smoke, years and years ago. I didn't smoke much (a pack a month, tops) but it was a real "my time, my treat" kind of thing. I still sometimes dream about smoking a cigarette.

Tabacco has the same sort of draw for me that chocolate has.

Hard to quit even my little habit, I can't imagine how hard it is to quit a regular smoking habit!

Kudos to the quitters!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

joyful, you're not a freak. I quit smoking about 13 years ago, after 20 years . Yes, I was a pretty heavy smoker - probably 2 packs a day. You will feel like crap as your body detoxes from the cigs - give it time.

Yup - give it time.

I am presently coaching a woman to do the Death Ride. She's a friend and fellow coach for Team in Training and this is really pushing her envelope. I feel I can share her story because she gave an interview to the SF Chronicle last year about what she'd been through:

-------

Dee Dee Rayfield, 54, Fairfield

Life and job skills coach for Contra Costa County Social Services, Martinez

Dee Dee Rayfield meets me at Fresh Choice in Santa Rosa after bicycling 64 miles in the rain. Until two years ago, Rayfield's adult life was full of self-destructive compulsions. She abused alcohol and marijuana, binged and purged, and subsisted on fried foods. Her weight blew up to 208 pounds.

Rayfield decided to do a 575-mile, seven-day AIDS bicycle ride in June 2001 after losing friends to AIDS. After training only weekends for two months, she was in no shape for this ride, but she did it anyway. Then she put away her bike and returned to her old habits.

In March 2002, Rayfield took her last drink, smoked her last joint and started going to Alcoholics Anonymous. Ten months later, her compulsive overeating was still out of control. She vowed to lose 60 pounds the "right" way -- eating healthy foods and working out.

In August 2003, Rayfield joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training (TNT), and started serious cycling. The program provides training for marathons, triathlons, cycling and cross-country ski events, raising funds for blood-cancer research and patient services. "I didn't know how to shift a bike, " Rayfield admits. "I didn't know how to ride, what to eat." TNT gave her coaches, a mentor and a supportive group of fellow riders.

Rayfield completed a 109-mile Tucson ride, and later a 206-mile from Seattle to Portland. She now wears size 4, but what she has gained is more important than the weight she lost. "This is the most important thing I have ever done," says Rayfield. "It's a fitness program that has become my lifestyle. My old, negative habits are not even part of who I am any more. AA got me clean and sober. Team in Training keeps me there."

Rayfield wears bracelets with the names of her special people with cancer. "When I get to mile 85 and I have a 9-mile climb, I ask myself, 'Why am I doing this?' " she says. "Then I look at my arm and see the names of people who have support groups and new treatments because I ride. This hill is nothing compared to someone who is dealing with cancer every day. That's what gets me up the hills and keeps me coming back."

Tip from Dee Dee Rayfield: "When you exercise for a cause you believe in, your mind will get you there, and your body will follow."

The full article can be found at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MGQRA6E241.DTL

I am determined that this woman will get up all five passes in the Death Ride. She has put a lot into her training - and has turned her life around.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Hi Joyful Girl! I want to congratulate you on your desire to change and the progress that you have made to date. Way to go! It'll take time to make the changes, after all, you've probably had these habits and eating patterns for some time now. Stay steady and these new healthy habits will totally replace the old ones.

I'm trying to improve some lousy eating habits myself. My coach has finally convinced me to eat breakfast and I'm 44 years old and hadn't had breakfast for nearly 30 years! Thank goodness you are getting smart while you are still young!

Hang in there.....

Abiut 5 years ago , I weighed 350 pounds (I'm 5'9), I got about 150 off in the fcourse of a year. Granted , I had only to deal with Junk food addiction(and still do every day)
    I think it is hard with a "get it now" society to make changes like you're trying to make. After all, the Gal taking Metabazap on tv lost 200 pounds in 10 seconds, so why can't you?
    One of my favorites quotes is By Chairman Mao(sorry for the politics) "A Journeyof Thousand Miles begins with a single step". Just make sure yor'e making the right steps, and before you know it, you'll be at journey's end

Although I am not a smoker and I am overweight, I do have some experience of what you are going through. I have been hugely addicted to junk food, particularly chips and take-outs. I used to drink an awful lot of diet coke as well. Since giving them up and starting to get fit I also feel very tired all the time . My trick is to exercise in the morning before I get tired (there is no way I feel like exercising after a day at work!). I have porridge for breakfast, a pasta salad for lunch, and then in the afternoon when I get really tired and just want to curl up and go to sleep under my desk, I have a snack of a piece of malt loaf and some dried fruit and drink some water. This gives me the carbohydrate boost to wake up and finish my day of work.

I think the tiredness is partly a stage in the detox process, while our bodies try to rid themselves of all the bad stuff we've been eating, and partly just getting used to doing exercise. I don't know about you, but before I started exercising, I was completely sedentary, and did virtually no exercise. I'm also hoping that in time I will start to feel better, I certainly won't be able to continue for ever like this. When I have tried to do things like this in the past, I have eventually started to feel better, and even got to the point where I started to feel like superwoman. I could do anything!

Keep it up, you will get over this period, I am sure of it.