Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

NorCal AIDS Challenge - wow!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, during May 18-21 I completed the 2nd Annual NorCal AIDS Challenge. This ride went through the Sacramento Valley through mainly fields and orchards. Day 2 had climbing up Table Mountain near Chico. While climbing is a challenge for me, riding that many flat miles seemed equally challenging, in that there was plenty of wind and alot of openness. Here are the basic routes we followed:
    1st half of day 1:
    http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=282

2nd half of day 1:
    http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=283

Day 2: http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=284

Day 3: http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=285

Day 4: http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=286

I admit I didn't ride the third day.....I had a previous commitment, so I left Friday night and returned Saturday night to finish out the ride on Sunday.

This was a great experience. There were only 40 riders, and we had plenty of crew folks watching out for us on the road. It was truly awesome, and I would recommend this type of ride to anyone. The routes were clearly marked, even though I followed a guy and we missed a turn...oops....but the roadies noticed we were missing and came looking for us...four miles later.....they sagged us up to the group, since it was the last day and we were on a tight schedule....
    We also had gourmet catered meals, which was great. It was like going out to dinner, even though we were camping. They did a nice job on the presentation too! A local chiropractor had massage services in camp, and that was welcomed after being on the bike so long.
    I spoke with a couple of guys who've done ALC and they liked this ride too. It's a much smaller scale than ALC, but I'm guessing still just as inspiring.

I didn't think I could deal with putting up the tent after riding, but it wasn't that bad. I tried to remember all the great suggestions put out by the group and it helped!!! Packing each days clothes in separate ziplock bags was the best advice!! I had to get up an extra 30 mins or so just to make sure I could get everything back into the gear bag and tent back into it's bag too. That would be my only suggestion, give yourself enough time if you know you're slower.

I don't have my pics yet, but will post them when I get them back.

And......next year the route is changing to go from Davis to Calistoga, Calistoga to Lakeport, Lakeport to Woodland, and Woodland to Sacramento. We will overlap with the Davis Double for a day, but should be ok, since the group is not huge...at least for now. Registration is already open for 2007.

Again, this was really a wonderful experience, and if you think you can't do it, think again......as cliche as it sounds, if I can do it , any one can.....
    Ride your ride.

Great report, H-Slug! Sounds like a really good experience! Please post pictures when you get them. 40 riders with full support sounds nice!

But the "If I can do it anyone can" thing doesn't apply to non-campers like me. I just don't think I could handle a tent!!

There were a few Princesses in our midst....and they made hotel reservations at nearby places. And there weren't that many places in Gridley to stay....

They are currently researching places along the new route. So if you don't want to camp, they'll have a list of places you can stay....
    Ride your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Slug
    There were a few Princesses in our midst...
    Well, if the tiara fits, I'll wear it!

Hey, I was starting to wonder, about time we had the ride report!

Pictures, we want pictures!! Podcasts....ok, pictures.

Good job!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Hey Hill Slug, is Rich Kirkham (aka Kitty) still involved in this?

Smile Hey, There!

I was googling for "NorCal AIDS Challenge" and found this thread listed. Lo and behold, I found Miss SnapDragen on here! It's been at least a couple of years since we emailed each other. I hope all is well with you.

I was involved in organizing the Challenge and designed the route (the logistics and details in setting up a multi-day cycling event are amazing!) , but didn't participate in planning the 2006 event since I moved to the Atlanta area last fall. I took on a new work opportunity with my company and wanted to be closer to my mom and other family members in New Orleans after Katrina. I'll be here (and overseas a lot of the time) for another year or two before returning to California.

I followed the planning for this year's event, and knew that the number of riders had tripled and revenue had doubled over last year. However, it was wonderful to read your report and get your perspective as a rider. I'm so excited and happy that you enjoyed the event! The AIDS/LifeCycle is magnificent and inspiring, but the Challenge provides an equally incredible experience on a different scale.

I'm still in touch with a number of people who are involved with AIDS/LifeCycle, including a friend from France who rode for the first time this year (he crewed the previous two years). I remember my first time as a rider, and it's thrilling to vicariously experience that feeling again through others. I hope to ride in both the Challenge and AIDS/LifeCycle when I eventually return to California.

I'm a "boy", so I'm not quite sure how welcome my posts are on this site. But, I couldn't resist sending this one reply to your post, Snap. I wish you and your fellow cyclists all the best, and hope to be riding with you again someday. Congratulations on all you do to raise funds for the fight against AIDS... and, Thank You!

Rich (Kitty) Kirkham
    Alpharetta, GA

Kitty! So good to hear from you. I think I still have your email....I'll try to get a "catch-up" note out to you.

Hugs and smootches,

Janet

Whew......finally got pictures up....Sorry they aren't labeled. There are no day 3 pics since I wasn't there.... And I forgot the camera on day 4, but my partner took the pictures at the capital building. Also another friend of a friend took pictures at the end of the ride too. His have a different numbering system, and are a little fuzzy from the rain on his camera lens....

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nancgo...5EeCFB0nqQAPRT
    Ride your ride.